Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome to the forum.You got a nice looking rig there

aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
Jetdoc, it seems everyone has given you some good advice. For your maiden trip home, I'm not sure how far you've got to travel. But everyone has said something about ""TIRES"". That's a big thing money wise on a RV. The RV has only 13000 miles on it but you don't know anything about how they were treated. They maybe dry rotted, may have a knot on it some where that they may have run over something. Who know. Just check them out. There is a manufactures date on the tire check that. In a RV that's what most people go by not mileage.
Someone said , propane , I would make sure you have plenty for heat. I still carry a small ceramic heater they heat great but you've got to have power for them , you could use the inverter to power it up.
Last but not least GO RV'ING and have FUN. Be careful and keep us posted as to how your trip went.
Master Sergeant USAF Ret

donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

First welcome to the forum and to the RV life style, nice clean looking rig.

You say you're going about three hundred miles to pick it up it on Saturday. Will the deep freeze be over in Indiana or at the pick up place by then. Have you been able to do a full pre-buy inspection? If not you need to do one. Has the unit been winterized and what do you have in writing that all the water systems will function correctly when winter is over, since with the current conditions, I'm sure you will not be able to put water into it and use all the plumbing.

All of the advise others have given you is right on. Enjoy your new MH and it may not be a big "money pit" as your boat was (especially if you are mechanically inclined), at least ours hasn't been. Always remember that anything you may need someone else has been there and this forum is a wealth of people willing to share.

Happy Trails
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #18
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Simple answer, no DO NOT use leveling jacks for tire change. There will be warnings against that in manuals and elsewhere. Now that being said I see no reason to not use them to raise coach and then support axle with jack stand to change tire, but not on the jacks alone.

I will second the road service recommendation, I bought mine a few days before pick-up to make sure it would be in effect during ride home. Was uneventful anyway.

Once home check the sway bar bushings, notorious on the Ford chassis. Also read up on the CHF (cheap handling fix), and don't anticipate it to drive and ride like a limo, it will drive like a truck.

How far home and how old are tires? Check air pressure and check date codes and if beyond 7-8 years, examine them closely for cracking, bulges, etc before travel. If more than 10, don't go!

Enjoy, exciting time.

Welcome to the Motorhome world. Keep wallet handy!
Can you elaborate on the Cheap Handling Fix? Am looking at a Class A built on an F53 chassis. Thanks!
ChesapeakTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
Like other have said, the low mileage makes one wonder what the owner means by "good". They could be original tires with great tread and therefore "good" to the owner but really death traps waiting to blow.

You won't very likely be changing a tire on these things. Just make sure that roadside assistance covers a motorhome. Bing warm clothes and blankets in case you do get stuck somewhere.

I don't think RVs are quite as bad as boats, unless you buy one new that is... Also, the odds are you will be just fine since you are only going 300 miles but I would check all the tires for age.
1998 Bounder 36s V10 F53
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by ChesapeakTec View Post
Can you elaborate on the Cheap Handling Fix? Am looking at a Class A built on an F53 chassis. Thanks!
See here:
Cheap Handling Fix
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #21
Thanks for the replies. Some great points and info has been shared. I used a 3rd party to inspect the unit prior to purchase that disclosed to me some minor issues. They said it was properly winterized and the tires are good. Of course I will be doing my own inspection when I get there and the tires are my biggest concern so they will be looked at closely.

As far as the boat I still have it and love everything about it except the cost. Doing 80+ miles an hour in places like lake Michigan is a great feeling. Hard to explain but with all the open water you just feel free. And the coves with all the boats tied up and bikinis everywhere. Isn't too shabby either.

I'm sure i will have many more questions from you folks once I get this unit home. I have always tent camped so this will be like luxury in comparison.

jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice older MH. dont drive it in the salt. Bad
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
Figure I Better add a pic of

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140108_134407.png
Views:	59
Size:	498.1 KB
ID:	53507

the beast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140108_134335.png
Views:	36
Size:	498.1 KB
ID:	53506  
jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow Dave! GREAT looking boat! Now you have two avenues of having lots of fun with your family!

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted, how the trip went, etc....

You have a new family here at IRV2 that will help in any way we can when it comes to questions. There are so many resources and talent on this forum it would be hard for me to believe there isn't an answer to almost any question.

Welcome again and thanks for sharing!
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #25
Congrats! We just purchased our first coach as well. Took a 600 mile journey home. Everything everyone has said is wise advice! We bought our coach for the same reason but also to become full timers once out daughter is off to college. We have a 3-5 year plan! Good luck, be safe and have fun!

LUV2SCRUB is offline   Reply With Quote