Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
I had a class C Tioga and remember the Kids with their friends all flying around and me yelling at them to sit down. The boys had their own tents and the girls would use up the black tank most times before we got to where we were going. Trips Up north and the Desert...sand and dirt everywhere and constantly hauling water as girls had to wash their hair. My God I was happy to get home at times..6 kids and a class c ..It can be done

Warren Bates
Oak Hills Ca
04 winnebago Brave 30w 8.1/alison
wdbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents.
If the current MH can in fact sleep the number of people you mentioned I would give it some time before I got rid of it. Driving a wide body long RV is not much different than driving some shorter and narrower MH. It is just a matter of getting used to it. It also sounds like you have already done some work to allow parking at your home. In our brief time of RVing we have met several people who boondock often in 40 footers. Just have to pick where. Just take a breath and don't make an impulse decision (or another one) that you might wish you hadn't made.

Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 1997 Discovery 36rs can sleep 8 people, as long as 4 are kids. It has two couches and the booth that turn into beds as well as the queen sleep number in the bedroom. However, it is one foot longer than you want. We needed to sleep 8 since we are a family of 6 and sometimes we bring the DW's parents.

Sorry that your first choice did not work out for you. I too, went from a 30 ft gasser to a DP and although the extra length and width took getting used to, it wasn't long before I was whipping the beast around the hairiest of hairpins with confidence. It just takes driving it to feel comfortable with it.

We wish you the best of luck in your search, don't give up, they are out there.
'97 Fleetwood Discovery 36RS
'01 Road Star Midnight Star Edition '77 CJ-7 factory V8
'69 1600 VW Sand Rail '09 EZGO RXV Custom Golf Cart
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
Country Coach Owners Club
You want to go deer hunting.

You need sleeping space for 8.

You are concerned that it is 4 feet too long and 6" too wide.

You were looking for power to pull a heavy trailer.

All motorhomes are a compromise of wants and each requires acclimation to new circumstances.

Perhaps driving the rig a bit will remove concern about the length and width and fitting it where you want to go.

You should be able to convert the dining set up to a booth set up and gain sleeping space. (Kids like to sleep in tents.)

Most older front door 38' rigs have room for opposing couches. Both could be sleepers if a salon slideout is involved. Our 38' without a slide has opposing couches which can sleep 3 total.

A 34' Class A may have even less room for two opposing couches and not gain much in the parking scenario.

Boondocking for deer hunting is probably the only use for which the 38' or the 34' would not be suitable, depending on your target location. That is a few days use per year?

You paid some sales tax and registration fees maybe. You may not be able to sell it for the same price you paid for it and it will take some time to sell it.

You have advanced this far and found a fine coach, why not give it some time to get past the buyer's remorse feelings and get used to using the rig. If it still does not meet the needs, then make the changes.

Just an alternative view from my couch.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
You have not given the Dynasty a chance, or better yet you have not given yourself a chance to get used to it.

Almost all class A and C motorhomes in the US are 100 inches wide. Rexhall and some of the European manufacturers build narrow RV’s, but you will be very disappointed in the interior space. Your new Dynasty is taller, heavier and slightly longer than a Coachmen 34, but the width will be very close. The Dynasty/Roadmaster combination will be far superior to the Coachman.

Give your Dynasty a few months to get used to it and I’m sure you will grow to love it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have to agree with Vito and some others. You are asking more of a motorhome in living / sleeping capacity than my county allows in a 2 bedroom apartment and at the same time saying - I want less space. Even a sleeping bag or two on the floor for kids will work. Also - if you do go smaller - please study carefully the cargo carrying capacity. You may well have room for the people to sleep - but no room for food to feed them, tubes for the river, or clothes for a couple of days. JMHO - but I think you might do well to give this some time and plenty of thought.
Happy days are ahead and think they can be achieved with the current rig with a little effort.
Steve and Annie
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
YUP - "GREED" when shopping for an RV, usually that for only "a few dollars MORE" - and often, for the SAME price or less, you can drive off with a very nice (but OVERSIZE for YOUR actual usage!) used RV...

We too were looking for a smaller (relatively speaking) older MH for pulling our aluminum fishing boat to isolated eastern Oregon lakes. We ended up with our 27 foot '88 Winnie Super Chief - in great condition - nice enough for total comfort - but NOT so pristine that we're afraid to drive it into boondocking areas.

Since then, we've stumbled across absolutely jaw-dropping deals on newer, larger and glitzier MHs that REALLY made us drool - BUT, way to large and fancy for our personal needs and usage.

DON'T let the glitter and glamor blind you to reality, practicality, and common sense!
John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with several other posters. I know you had/have a list of requirements that seem a bit "quirky" to me. Unless someone has the $$$ to custom order a MH to their exact specifications, any MH is a mixed bag of features some you love, others are nice and some you would rather not have had.

Give it and yourself some time to figure it all out.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
Fighter, I've been following your posts since they began. While I found some of your final requirements a bit odd, they where yours so I reserved comment. When you found your current coach and began the how to questions, I felt your frustration even though it went unwritten except for the airbag thing.

My advice, stand back, take a deep breath and look at what you have. Sounds like you are trying to build the ideal coach for a one time excursion. Give that idea up, we all have to make little sacrifices along the way on a trip by trip basis.

With all due respect, sounds like your looking for a reason to get rid of what you have. Your comment regarding a 4X4 not being able to pull you out and your daughter putting up half the money lead me to that conclusion. I don't mean to sound judgmental or too critical, and if I sound that way, forgive me.

Nothing is separating you from what you want, once you figure it out except $$$$$$$$ and time
'92 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. Tweaked 5.9 Cummins, complete interior makeover (previous owner).
Coaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
Thanks to all for your comments. DP, Cummins, 34 feet, sofa, dinette, rear bed, sleep 6, two sofas better, sleep 8, for the most part only 4 adults and rest kids. Seat belt/carseat 4. I have had two 34 footers, but this 38 which is really 40 ft was different. And it only would sleep 5 and not booth dinette. I bought it thinking we would remove one couch and put in a booth dinette, but that exercise and the length not needed (washer dryer and more cabinets than we would ever use) made me realize I made a mistake. Although not the quality by any means of older Monacos Coachman made a 34 with all the requirements and probably some others as well. Anyway, the Dynasty is sold and gone as of this afternoon. I made the buyers an offer they couldn't refuse. Like Coaster1 said it is only $$$$$ and time.

Now the search begins again for a DP, 34 foot long with booth dinette, sofa or two and rear bed. Any suggestions regarding brands better constructed than others and brand name that might make such a coach in the 90s or even early 2000 would be welcomed. The 2000 34 Coachman I had referenced sold today-asking 16K, don't know what he got for it but had 3 customers looking at it today and it is gone. Figured it would be since it was in the middle of the NADA retail spread, where as most asking prices I have seen are way above the NADA retail spread. Even my dynasty was above the spread but people will pay it, Maybe it is the good time of the year for sellers. ?? Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #25
Fighter, thanks for not taking offense. My old girl is just what your looking for, nope, not for sale....lol It does have two couches which convert to two singles or one double, also has a booth dinette that converts to a bed and a rear queen.

Alas, it has an LP 6500 Onan so it really does not meet your requirements.

True, I lucked up and found this and yes, I would have preferred a diesel gen but there you go, can't have everything, right?

You sound like a heads up guy so chalk this experience off to a learning curve. Best of luck in your quest and don't be afraid to travel in order to get what you want. Ask a ton of questions, get lots of pics and don't give any non-refundable deposits.
'92 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. Tweaked 5.9 Cummins, complete interior makeover (previous owner).
Coaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations on your quick turn a round.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One trip home is not enough to get comfortable with you rig. My confidence and comfort grow with each outing. An extra 3" per side and 4' out the back seem much easier, from my perspective, to deal with than trying to hunt down another rig to fit your needs.

There is no standard rig on the planet that will "comfortably" accommodate 7 or 8 people. To do so will take some compromise and ingenuity. Most I've seen over the years traveling with large families have supplemented the "main house" with tents or even a small pull behind pop-up or travel trailer.

Bottom line, none of our opinions amount to much, you have to be happy with what you've got. I wish you the best of luck in getting it all figured out.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #28
You were close. For a good quality short wheelbase diesel pusher, you should look at Dynasty, Windsor, Diplomat, or Country Coach. If you can find a short one, Newmar or Travel Supreme are great.

Make sure you test drive it on the freeway or you'll be asking about how to improve handling.

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote