Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Bought the wrong Motorhome-Duh!!

I know you have been following my quest for a MH. Been searching, and learning from the experts since January. Found a nice 1997, 38 Monaco Dynasty and got carried away by its beauty, condition, equipment, etc., but underestimated size impact and didn't think thru how it was to really be used. Drove it home, 600 miles, ran great, really a pleasure after the old gas MH I had 10 years ago, but once we got it home than where do we put it. We moved some shrubs, flowers, cut some tree limbs and got it parked. Have carport on order for it. Realize now, it really is for two people to full time it and stay close to the main highways, not for weekenders or a week or two at a time in the summer for 4 adults and 3 kids. Or go off in the boondocks for a few days of deer hunting. Or take the families to a museum for a day, or to the beach for a couple days. We live in country so to speak and coming down the local, narrow road was an eye opener for this Wide Body mode of transportation, to say nothing of trying to park it. It is for sale.

Now the search is for 34 foot absolutely max. Won't even consider a 35 footer and no Wide Bodys. Thought about the 32 or 34 Dynastys in the same vintage but believe they are wide body. Will still search for diesel pusher but want two sofa sleepers plus booth dinette sleeper and a rear QB sleeper. Diesel pusher with gasoline generator Ok but no LP Generators. Might even fall back to Gaser up front, but only if we strike out on the diesel pusher search.

I have reviewed my earlier posts regarding construction, etc, so starting all over again. There is a 2000 Coachman Catalina, listed as 33 foot but believe it is the 34 foot model that opened my eyes to the fact there are coaches out there that are DP and can sleep 8 and are not more than 34 foot.

I am humbled and chagrin about all of this, but do want to thank all of you for your help thus far and will be seeking your guidance in the future, I am sure. FP
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear your eyes for convenience and beauty got in the way of the reality of your true needs. It is for that reason that we kept our TC that we've been using for the last 13 years. Some lakes and especially for hunting require a much smaller RV. But even though our Discovery is big we've found that we are able to use it in places we weren't sure of and it works very well for most of our fishing destinations. Having a place to park it is always a big plus. I would hate to leave ours outside living in the NW. We have slept six in it, but only for very short durations when company comes to fish. Hope you have better luck in the future and you find a buyer!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sleep eight!?! Midgets? Seriously, are you sleeping eight people in a motorhome. We think adhere firmly to the rule - six for drinks, four for dinner and two overnight. Now I'm talking about adults here but even sleeping kids I think you are asking an awful lot of any motorhome. Sounds like to me you'd be happier with a one of the toy hauler fifth wheels I've seen with bunks all over the place. Most motorhomes aren't really designed to keep that many people comfortable, regardless of their length.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
YC1

The difference between a 35 footer and a 42 footer is.. Seven feet. Going from a 30 ft gasser which was very wide to a 42 footer really made me think we had made a bad decision as well. Our first long trip was with 7 family members to Disneyland. I did have white knuckles in the LA traffic and probably was pale going through the gate at the Grand Californian hotel. From there I parked it in the Disneyland Hotel parking lot.

That was a few years ago and we are now full timers with a 19 yr old grandson with us. The driving is much easier now and parking is easy with my wifes help. There are times I wish I had the 30 footer but then there are times I really miss the 24 footer. Can't take this beast to the wonderful boondocking places we used to visit but smoke in the eyes at night is not as important as it used to be.
I really miss not being able to park the RV next to the house as I have for 25 years. This one is just to long but we knew we were headed for full time so kept it in storage.
Hope you find what works better for you. In any case some day you may want to go back to a larger one and now know how comfortable they can be for living in.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry that one didn't work out. Sure you will find just what you need.

Use caution going off paved roadway. My previous 30 ft Gas Class A- We took our neighbor to look at her property South of Bonifay. 1/2-3/4 mile on a single lane Hard packed side road, held the MH fine. Parked for an hour to survey the property, started to back out and wheels dropped through the hard pan into soft sand. Local 4x4 helped pull us out. It would have never climbed on top of the hard pan on it's own....Only weighed 12-15,000.

Good luck on your search..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

For the most part it will be 4 adults and 3-4 kids.
Holligan do you think the 4x4 would have pulled out my 38 foot dynasty? Not a chance. Another reason to go smaller. With our use I foresee that, in fact had some concerns parking it in the yard.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes one is sure limited on where you're going to "Roll" that's for sure. You are not just going to pull up in your average campsites with the size of the beasts. I always phone ahead when planning to go to any campground to make sure they can accomodate a 40' coach. I always ask them about restricted access with lots of low branching trees because I refuse to have a tree branch scratch the side of the coach. Also if anyone is so uncomfortable piloting such a mammoth, has to drive around with "White Knuckles" most of the time, then it's no fun. Hope you find something you are more comfortable with.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #8

We went from a 31' Class C to a 38' Class A DP. Yes it was a little different but then I have driven larger vehicles in the military. It is nice to be sitting up higher and being able to see what is going on around you. While we can not take our DP to the same camping areas that we could the Class C, we adapted since we most always have the 4 Wheelers with us. So we need to drive a mile or so further, it is nice to have such a comfortable 'base' camp to come back to. What we really noticed was that while the DP is 'larger' we can not sleep as many people. That could be an issue with a larger family. Went with the daughter and her family/friends on one trip. They had 8 teenagers crashed out on the floor. One has to be careful where they stepped.
Going up to a much larger MH does take some getting 'used to' but for us it is well worth the learning curve. Hope that you are able to find the MH that suits you needs and that you all can enjoy!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #9

you should look at a Super C. build quality way above a typical class c and some class A gassers, and I was in one that would sleep 12! Only drawback is that they usually have Loooooong overhangs in the rear, could limit approach angles significantly. Seems to me that cab would be pretty noisy too, sitting in what amounts to be a city delivery truck with a diesel in front.

But for hauling people and cargo in a pretty compact package they are hard to beat.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #10

I agree with VanDiemen23 on this one. Super C's are wonderful and it sounds as if it would work better in your situation. An added benefit is that if/when you break down somewhere or need service, repair shops won't shun you away quite as quickly as when they see a DP Class A coming in on the hook. Most shops hate to see DPs coming in for engine/chassis work since so much has to be removed inside to work on them in most cases.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #11

I consider my 38 to be just about the right size for our adventures. We drive the back roads (red roads) all the time without difficulty. We prefer the two lane state roads. There are some State parks we choose to avoid because of maneuvering space. The length of the coach is really not that important. True there are some places you can't get into but they are few. If I could get the same floor plan in a 45 I would probably go for it.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #12

It just goes to show that the "Bigger is better" philosophy doesn't fit everyone's need. Good luck in your search.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #13

I suggested we go for a C because it will sleep a bunch, but my daughters remembers the Class As we had as well as the one C we had and she wants the Class As, Since it is half her money and they will be the primary user, Class A it is.

Minimum requirement, Class A, sleep at least 6, booth dinette and at least one sleep sofa up front, two sofas better, 34 foot max. Will start with DP, Cummins, Allison 6 speed, gen. can be diesel or gasoline, but no LP, prefer 50 amp service.
2000 Coachman Catalina 34 works, but it is 4 hours away and owner has 3 different parties coming to look at it today. If not sold I will look at it tomorrow. $20K-$25K budget. Would even consider gaser as fall back position wouldn't want to spend as much as initial budget if have to go gas. Going to exhaust a month of looking for a DP before I go gas.

Suggestions as to name brands, chassis, etc I should consider.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Sleep eight!?! Midgets? Seriously, are you sleeping eight people in a motorhome. We think adhere firmly to the rule - six for drinks, four for dinner and two overnight. Now I'm talking about adults here but even sleeping kids I think you are asking an awful lot of any motorhome. Sounds like to me you'd be happier with a one of the toy hauler fifth wheels I've seen with bunks all over the place. Most motorhomes aren't really designed to keep that many people comfortable, regardless of their length.
Absolutely! ... and we adhere to the "6 for drinks, 4 for dinner" if it's OUTSIDE. Inside and overnight is for the 2 of us. Motels/hotels/restaurants are the rule for get-togethers.