Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2005, 06:45 PM   #1

I've finally decided that a class A is the way to go (a little taller, and little poorer gas miliage, but nicer inside and don't have to worry about carrying capacity). At least for now I have narrowed our choices to a (used) Sea Breeze, Allegro or Bounder - in that order.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2005, 06:45 PM   #2

I've finally decided that a class A is the way to go (a little taller, and little poorer gas miliage, but nicer inside and don't have to worry about carrying capacity). At least for now I have narrowed our choices to a (used) Sea Breeze, Allegro or Bounder - in that order.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #3

Hi Hack,

I'm not versed on Sea Breeze but I can tell you that the Allegro by Tiffin is a quality product.
Some things to consider are fresh water & holding tank capacities, single pane or thermo pane windows and floor plans. Bounders have 100 gal. fresh water capacity, 2 50 gal. holding tanks and thermo pane windows as standard equipment. You chassis choice will depend on weather you like Ford or Chebby (Work Horse) Engines. Hope this helps.

95 Bounder 32H F53
Retired House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I can't comment on Bounder because I'm not familiar enough with it. As to the Seabreeze - there are posts out there stating that National is re-evaluating it's ability to continue making RVs. That could be an issue, should they decide to back out and leave you with an orphan.

As to the Allegro - it's a great coach. I don't know what length you are looking at but the 32BA has a 228" wheelbase, which makes it very stable for a short coach. Personally, I like the 34WA on a W22 chassis, because of the extra room and the much roomier shower compared to the 32BA. The 35TSA is a touch longer but they add a seating area in the back bedroom. They are all very well built units and backed by a great company so you won't go wrong with any of these 3 floorplans.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:59 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do a search under my user name, and I have 4 or 5 long comments about Sea Breeze. They are a very high quality coach, and I have no problems with corporate. Our dealer is a pain, but that is another story.

Yes, National RV is looking at their financials. As ALL OTHER RV builders, just they have not stuck it out on the news wires so people can gossip.

On Google News today, they said gas was going to go quickly to $4 per gal. Yes I care, and we will plan our trips a little closer to home, but I do not regret at all having a gasser.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:51 PM   #6

The Sea Breeze is from National RV and they have a good reputation for support. True, they are reviewing the financial picrture, but that is true of most of the RV industry and the rest soon will be with the rapidly rising fuel prices. Well run companies do that frequently, but many tend to hide that. While there are worse things than havig an orphan RV, that is very unlikely. The Sea Breeze was the first lower priced motorhome to get the five star rating from the RV Consumer Group and they have held that rating every year, as far as I know. They are a quality product.

Allegro is also a company with an outstanding reputation for customer support and they probably have the very best of any company in the business. They are the only company in the RV business that I have ever heard of the Chief Executive Officer actually speaking with their customers. At Allegro that is pretty common. We owned an Allegro and it is a quality product.

Bounder is the entry level motorhome built by Fleetwood Industries, who is that largest manufacturer of RVs in the world. It is the lowest priced of the motorhomes made by Fleetwood and as such has a lot of indications of money saving efforts. Since the Bounder diesel has come out, the quality does seem to have improved, especially in the diesels. Bounder has a very long history of giving a lot for the price they sell for, but also for later developing problems, often serious structural ones. I don't know what age of unit you are looking at, but be very careful of the weight ratings for any of these and particularly for the Bounder. It is well known for being very short on cargo capacity in it weight, whild having volumes of space to store things. You should take a hard look at the weight ratings of any RV and insist upon a scale ticket that shows the actual weight as it is to compare to. That scale ticket should show the weight of each axle so that you can compare it to the axle weight ratings from the manufacturer. That should be done for any make of motorhome.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:19 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk:
Bounder is the entry level motorhome built by Fleetwood Industries, who is that largest manufacturer of RVs in the world. It is the lowest priced of the motorhomes made by Fleetwood and as such has a lot of indications of money saving efforts. Since the Bounder diesel has come out, the quality does seem to have improved, especially in the diesels. Bounder has a very long history of giving a lot for the price they sell for, but also for later developing problems, often serious structural ones. I don't know what age of unit you are looking at, but be very careful of the weight ratings for any of these and particularly for the Bounder. It is well known for being very short on cargo capacity in it weight, whild having volumes of space to store things. You should take a hard look at the weight ratings of any RV and insist upon a scale ticket that shows the actual weight as it is to compare to. That scale ticket should show the weight of each axle so that you can compare it to the axle weight ratings from the manufacturer. That should be done for any make of motorhome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kirk,

As usual you give good information, until you mentioned that Bounder is the lowest priced motorhome by Fleetwood. I suggest that Fiesta, Terra, Storm & Flair gas powered motorhomes are more competitively priced than the Bounder. Bounder is 3rd on the price list, just under Pace Arrow and Southwind. As for "indications of money saving efforts", how many gas powered motorhomes come standard with dual pane windows? After 10 years and 60,000 miles, my Bounder shows no signs of developing serious structural problems. No delamation, no broken welds, all original appliances and furniture. Cargo Carrying Capacity can run the gamut on any brand of RV depending how it is equipped. As delivered, my Bounder has a CCC of just over 2500#.

95 Bounder 32H F53
Retired House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #8

This forum and others contain many very positive comments about Tiffin products, service, and support. Tiffin and Newmar (which you didn't mention) are on the top of my list for our next MH. I am not familiar with National; although comments I've observed over the years appear to be fairly positive. Based on my '96 Bounder experience, and with FW support, or lack thereof, I will not buy another FW product. Now, having said that, it appears that every mfgr has some problems and there are some lemons out there regardless of mfgr.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #9

Our experience with the SeaBreeze has been very favorable.

Only times we were back to the factory for any service was during the first year -- front TV (was a faulty RCA unit); just recently to have a slide topper replaced that was damaged in a major wind storm.

I woudl not hesitate to buy another NRV product.

After all -- once the coach builder's warranty is over you'll be dealing with independants, dealers, et al rather than the coach builder.

As an aside, a couple of months ago we noticed fluid by the rear wheels -- Workhorse took care of it -- new rear wheels seals and had to replace the brake pads as well...no problems/issues.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #10

Thanks for all the excellent and helpful responses. I saw a new Bounder last week, and my first assessment was that the interior quality and finish of the Sea Breeze and Allegro was better. The Bounder saleswomen said that the structure of the Bounder was better (of course).

BTW. I'm really looking for a used one, say 2000 - 2002. My thinking is that I will be able to get a fairly low miliage motorhome for about 1/2 the new price.

Thanks again for all the good responses.

Hack
--//--