Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Box trailer stops at Florida Ag stations Experiences.

I have started this thread to hear what experience was had when making the required stop at the Florida Agriculture Inspections stations entering or leaving Florida. Also if anyone was chased down by police if failing to stop while pulling an enclosed trailer. Do they make you open the trailer or just ask what you have inside.

I have traveled in and out of Florida at least 10 times so that is 20 times past the ag station but never stopped when towing my box but was never pulled over.

So lets hear it from the snow birds that pull trailers in and out of Florida.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
....I live like 60 miles from one. I've hauled tail right by with one behind my pickup....I've thought to stop a few times and they ask what's inside and I rock on....

It appears there looking for cows, produce and other cash crops...lol...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:13 AM   #3

Fla AG stations are for anything agriculture, aquaculture, horticulture etc. We have horses and are required to stop going in and out of fla. They check the required health certs and coggins test. Any horse trailer must stop. As far as non commercial trucks and trailers it seems fine to by pass the station. I only see big trucks and horse people coming into ag station. Maybe google them and see what the deal is. I just know that you don't pass with a horse trailer LOL.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #4

I have stopped twice.

Once when moving my sister from north to south and the other basically the same only with the mother-in-law's crap.

These are LEO's trained to listen to what you are saying while observing for clues of wrongdoing.

I was intentionally talkative with the in-laws crap load of junk hoping that they would unload it for me. They didn't take the bait. Nice guys though.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I stop every time at both Ag stations and weigh stations with my Grand Cherokee pulling a 7x16 tall cargo trailer. It is privately registered, but has the website of my business on the back. So, I stop just in case. After all it does say "ALL TRAILERS" on the sign just before the checkpoint station.

As mentioned above, the LEO's are trained to ask questions and evaluate the responses. Only once did I have to open the trailer for inspection. The LEO at the booth said go ahead, then a second LEO about 100 feet later flagged me down and had me open the trailer. (I had the small 7x12 cargo trailer that day.) He took a quick look inside, told me to go, and quickly moved on to another trailer. It was quite obvious that they were looking for something very specific that day. We didn't have it.

Personally, I would rather err on the side of caution than to irritate the inspectors. They have a job to do to keep the public safe, whether it be overweight vehicles, fruit-flies, contraband, or anything else that could be a potential problem. The few minutes that it adds to my trip is negligible.
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #6

I've hauled an enclosed box trailer past them on several occasions and never been stopped. I was just hauling furniture but of course they had no way to know that.

Tags
florida, trailer