Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #15

I believe all automatic slack adjusters can be manually adjusted also. The ones on a Peterbilt can be as the pawl could fail and you might need to do your own adjustment. I would always check and adjust my own anyway. Don't trust stuff that runs in salt, brine, gravel and and water.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Call a local heavy truck repair get their mobile repair to replace your s cam and all related parts. Keep us all safe !
Old 03-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
thank you for all the suggestions, but aren't s cams on drum brakes only? I have disc brakes. Regardless, there is a big rig shop across the highway from where i have it stored. I spoke to a mechanic and I'm going to just have them do it and watch what I can in the process. From what I was told, the "piston" as I called it (the cylinder that I need to press back toward the hub to re-engage the bolts) has a spring inside it that needs to be compressed.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the update. I could not make the photos into anything on my air brakes..... I do have drum brakes all around..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, after looking at the picture again I now see it is disc brakes. Good call on getting a mechanic and watching as well to see how it all works!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 AM   #20

So the mechanic at the shop Accross the street said he had to compress the spring in the brake chamber in order to remount it.
Good idea!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
So the mechanic at the shop Accross the street said he had to compress the spring in the brake chamber in order to remount it. Good idea!
Nice try at a dig, jtovo. That is not the spring they are talking about. They are talking about the spring in the caliper (piston) that holds the disc pads. http://www.beamalarm.com/foretravel-...anual-mm4m.pdf
I don't know why you seem obsessed with that parking brake chamber?
Romeofrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #22

Quote:
So the mechanic at the shop Accross the street said he had to compress the spring in the brake chamber in order to remount it. Good idea!
Check out the exploded view in the link. Parts #8 & #9 specifically. That is the piston and the spring that are referred to. Now that I know the OP has disc instead of drum brakes, much easier to figure out.
Not trying to bust anyone's stones here.... Just trying to help out the OP. I was a tractor trailer mechanic for years and have done more brake jobs and driveline rebuilds than I care to remember! I would think I have pretty good knowledge when it comes to air brake systems.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #23

I also was a truck mechanic for 40 years, you want to meet at the O'K coral & settle this?
Old 03-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #24

How much to watch ??
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #25

Quote:
I also was a truck mechanic for 40 years, you want to meet at the O'K coral & settle this?
LOL. How about a duel? Parking brake chambers at ten paces?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #26

Interesting it took 16 responses until the OP noted he had disc brakes, not drums, nor s-cams, nor maxi-brake cans etc. I don't post much but have read many a posting.
It was pretty apparent to me he needed help with a disc brake assembly issue. I am not sure why those bolts would back out unless they weren't torqued properly. Disc brakes can spread the heat, maybe some lock tite on the threads?
How did I know, from the time this thread was started? Look closely for a brake drum in the photo............

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
How much to watch ??
Maybe we can do a pay-per-view thing? I'm not opposed to a little extra cash....
Old 03-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Interesting it took 16 responses until the OP noted he had disc brakes, not drums, nor s-cams, nor maxi-brake cans etc. I don't post much but have read many a posting. It was pretty apparent to me he needed help with a disc brake assembly issue. I am not sure why those bolts would back out unless they weren't torqued properly. Disc brakes can spread the heat, maybe some lock tite on the threads? How did I know, from the time this thread was started? Look closely for a brake drum in the photo............
That's what happens when you view them on a tiny I-phone screen. That disc set up is different from the ones I've seen in the past. I'm more used to drum & wedge brakes.
Attached Images