Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #1

brake controller wiring for Monaco

went to pick up our new tow dolly with elect brakes but the guy could not figure out my wiring under the dash. The only plug we could find had 7 white wires going to it but he did not think that was the brake cont plug. I ended up leaving without the tow dolly scratching my head. Can someone tell me what colour the wires should be and where the plug might be? And another question..... while using the jake brake which activates the brake lights will the electric brakes automatically be activated as with a surge brake application when using jake brake?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #2

What brand of chassis? I have full info for a Freightliner, but it's a PDF and I don't know how to put it on the forum. PM me your email address if you need it.

Pigman

Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

its a road master chassiss......... thanks anyways
Old 11-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #4

Ok I found the brake controller plug. It is also white but with only 7 wires going to it and it is labeled " brake control" Now my hurdle is that I cant find a plug to go into it. The Rv dealer wants to cut the plug off and hard wire the brake controller... I say why the heck is their a plug if it needs to be cut off.... why cant anything be easy hmm.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Ok I found the brake controller plug. It is also white but with only 7 wires going to it and it is labeled " brake control" Now my hurdle is that I cant find a plug to go into it. The Rv dealer wants to cut the plug off and hard wire the brake controller... I say why the heck is their a plug if it needs to be cut off.... why cant anything be easy hmm.
You are fortunate to own a coach that is pre-wired for a Electric Brake Controller. My 2002 Windsor was not and I had to run wires myself.

Since you most likely have a typical 7-way connector at the rear, or maybe not yet but the wires are there to add the connector, those same wires are up front that you have found. The first thing is to determine if the connector is the same configuration as the connector in the rear. If so, then it is simple just to purchase the connector and hook up the required four wires for your brake controller.

Brake controllers need both a 12 VDC positive and negative wire, a Brake Signal wire, and the fourth is the main wire that goes to the Electric Brakes on your tow directly.

The 12 VDC powers the Brake Controller, the Brake Signal wire notifies the controller to activate which then sends voltage down the Electric Brake wire directly to the brakes on your tow.

If the connector is not a common one, then it may be easier just to cut it off and use the four wires of that 7 wire bundle to wire directly to the controller.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #6

sorry I made a mistake. the plug has six holes but only 5 wires going to it not 7.( doesn't change much i guess) also the wires at the hitch plug are colour coded but under the dash they are all white. I have heard this was to save money in production. Me is thinking that our next tip we will be renting a car.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #7

ok getting back to this issue...... of the 5 white wires at the plug under the dash, when applying tester one wire lights up when brakes are depressed, one wire is live ..... now what do I do with the other 3 white wires??????? the brake controller that I am trying to connect has coloured wires ... any ideas???
Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Me thinks that you would be better served if you took your coach to a local trailer service center who does this stuff everyday and can fix you up with exactly what you need and it would only take about one hours worth of labor.

In your case it would be money well spent.

Only a suggestion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Me thinks that you would be better served if you took your coach to a local trailer service center who does this stuff everyday and can fix you up with exactly what you need and it would only take about one hours worth of labor.

In your case it would be money well spent.

Only a suggestion.

me thinks you are right.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #10

Monacoach, the five wires are as follows:

Brake signal from Foot Brake

Lights to Tow Plug

Brake signal to Tow Plug

12 volt power supply

Ground

A meter and a short jumper will be needed, but you should be able to identify which pole they go to on the 7 way plug. Find the ground with an ohmmeter first then jumper to the others from the hot wire. Your 7 way in the back should have post ID's molded into the cover.

Rather than cutting the plug off, I use pinch type splices to connect to the wires. On Tiffins, they use some of these leads for powering other items behind the dash, but the cable runs are the same to the back.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #11

very informative thankyou..... I will crawl under the dash and see what I can do

Tags
brake, monaco, wiring