Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #1

Brake dragging

I have a 86 Bounder and it doesn't get much use and I just took it out and I obviously have a stuck brake caliper. What do you recommend to unstick it?

86 Toyota 4Runner Rock Crawler
chuck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Some Workhorse chassis have a recall for sticking calipers. You might search the forum and see if your rig qualifies. If you do have a Workhorse chassis, if you post your VIN number folks will look it up for you and let you know if it qualifies and if it's been done.

Often driving a bit with some heavy brake applications will cause rusted components to free up a bit. Only other thing would be to rebuild both brake calipers. Also, little used disk brakes will rust the rotor and cause lots of heat and noise until the rust is burnished off the rotor surfaces. Are you sure the caliper is frozen, not just rusted rotors?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #3

Fortunately front brake parts are relatively inexpensive for your rig. I'd be doing calipers, hoses and pads, if you do it yourself under $200
Old 08-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We had an 86 Hawkins on a workhorse chassis. Drivers side front caliper was doing the same thing (after sitting a long time). It was the brake hoses, they break down on the inside and start working like a check valve not letting the fluid release. Cheap fix two hours labor for both fronts including the bleed.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #5

Thank you guys for the responses. I used the leveling jacks to bring the front tires off of the ground and the drivers side front tire was dragging but the passenger side was ok I have 4 wheel disk but I don't dare jacking just the back. so I'm going to try changing the front hoses first. I will let you know if that was it. Thanks again

Old 08-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck7 View Post
Thank you guys for the responses. I used the leveling jacks to bring the front tires off of the ground and the drivers side front tire was dragging but the passenger side was ok I have 4 wheel disk but I don't dare jacking just the back. so I'm going to try changing the front hoses first. I will let you know if that was it. Thanks again
The rear only has one hose near the center, from that union the brake lines are hard tubed to each wheel from there. When my front one went bad I could tell which caliper it was from one wheel smoking after just driving a mile.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Some Workhorse chassis have a recall for sticking calipers. You might search the forum and see if your rig qualifies. If you do have a Workhorse chassis, if you post your VIN number folks will look it up for you and let you know if it qualifies and if it's been done.

Often driving a bit with some heavy brake applications will cause rusted components to free up a bit. Only other thing would be to rebuild both brake calipers. Also, little used disk brakes will rust the rotor and cause lots of heat and noise until the rust is burnished off the rotor surfaces. Are you sure the caliper is frozen, not just rusted rotors?
Workhorse???? Were they even around in 1986? The OP has a Chevrolet P-30 series chassis.

"Workhorse was started in 1998 by investors who took over production and sales of General Motors’ popular P-series Stepvan chassis when GM dropped it."

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Workhorse???? Were they even around in 1986? The OP has a Chevrolet P-30 series chassis.

"Workhorse was started in 1998 by investors who took over production and sales of General Motors’ popular P-series Stepvan chassis when GM dropped it."

You make a good point chboone, I always thought that I had the P-30 Chassis. I got pretty aggressive with the brakes yesterday and was able to free up the brake so I got lucky. I guess its time to have the brakes gone thru.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
#1 check to see if your chassis was part of GM recall for brakes

#2 In almost every case where a brake is sticking, you can just about bet its because of the brake hose is deteriorating internally. Replace the brake hoses. Replace all 4 (5) hoses. When one goes bad, the others arn't far behind.

#3 oil/grease from leaking axle seals causing brake caliper pins / slides to jam / bind.

#4 dirty, corroded, worn caliper pins / slides.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post

OOPs, my bad. I know Workhorse came later, using mostly GM parts. Wonder what happened to their 'new RV chassis' announcement a while back? Anyone see one yet?

Fact is, the OP didn't specify type of chassis. I saw sticking brakes and remembered Workhorse issues with Bosch brakes. I didn't go back and check year. Bounders were built on Ford, Chevy, John Deere, and Workhorse gas chassis, and a number of diesel pusher chassis too.

Fact is, the OP has responded a few times since I posted about Workhorse, he never clarified what chassis we're trying to help him with except to say, "I always thought that I had the P-30 Chassis." Still not declarative, in my mind.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

Sorry, I know now that I should have specified chassis. I got a lot of helpful info and I will be changing all of my brake lines to start with and will inspect everything else. Thank you

Tags
brake