Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Brake estimate.

2002 Damon Intruder 350 on the Workhorse chassis

Bought 2 months ago. Had under 30k miles. Took it in to have brakes checked. All 4 rotors had cracks in them.. small but many of them.

Rotors: 289 each x 4
Pads: 155 x 2 (per axle)
Axle seals: 350

Labor is 80 per hour x 6

Roughly $2,300.00 including tax

Sound about right?
Eric1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1959 View Post
2002 Damon Intruder 350 on the Workhorse chassis

Bought 2 months ago. Had under 30k miles. Took it in to have brakes checked. All 4 rotors had cracks in them.. small but many of them.

Rotors: 289 each x 4
Pads: 155 x 2 (per axle)
Axle seals: 350

Labor is 80 per hour x 6

Roughly $2,300.00 including tax

Sound about right?
Looked real quick on NAPA and the rotors are $87 ea. Pads are about $30/axle ($60 total) and seals are going to be between $20 and $120 depending on what you need. Labor is probably about right at 6 hrs.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #3

Do yourself a favor and spend a little more for the friction performance brake pads (PFH078610). The difference in stopping power is worth it
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

My first comment is that most truck chassis will easily go in the 50K-60K mileage range before they need a brake job... the exception of course is the driver who drives with the left foot on the brake and the right foot on the throttle in town... and than 30K might be right...

We used to turn/true rotors... most rotors are like flywheels with lots of surface cracks... some light surface cracks are acceptable if they machine/grind out...

Each rotor and drum by DOT standards have a discard dimension... that's a dimension that is marked on the edge of the drum/rotor at the time of manufacturer... If there's material available turn it.... with the rotor installed a tech can easily use a micrometer and check the rotor...

Its my guess that the NAPA rotor mentioned is a OFFSHORE unit... if the coach was mine and the factory rotors were machinable and can be re-used that would be my choice..

Its also my guess, from looking at the pricing you were quoted, is that the shop is looking to make very large margins on the parts... of course most shops won't let you buy the parts and bring them in.... however there are often larger shops that can do this brake job for 40% of the price quoted and still do a quality job...

My key factor in choosing brake pads.. is I want a coefficient of friction in the pad to be equal to... or better than the factory pads... so I always look at premium pads... in fact when I was in business we didn't sell anything other than a premium pad...
Old 10-13-2016, 06:02 AM   #5

Here is a local RV dealer in my area, just for comparison. This is a winter special but you can see the normal price is close to your estimate

Workhorse Brake
Replacement Special!
$1399.99 + Tax *
(Regularly $2199.00 + Tax)
Includes:
4 New brake rotors
4 New oil seals
4 New brake pads on all
wheels
ABS system check w/TechII
(ABS sensors extra if needed)
Drain and change brake fluid
Test Drive when finished
Old 10-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #6

w22 brakes

I finally decide to get my caliper replaced per Workhorse recall, and after contacting Both Camping World and the Chevy dealer both of these had no idea what I was talking about??? (that workhorse customer service suggested) I get in touch with a truck frame shop that agrees to do the recall and am informed that there may be extra "things" required Shoes, rotors, lines seals etc and this could add up to $2500.00 or so? And I would have to leave it for 4 to 6 weeks, My question is two fold, is this common? and at what mileage should I expect out of rotors and shoes??

Any recommendations of any good shop within a couple hundred miles of Chicago?
hoggem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #7

I've seen all sorts of pricing for this work, my bottom line is I can't do the job like I used to do for my cars and pickups.. getting too old to mess with that.

The place that's doing the job for me will have it done in 2 days. Took it in on Tuesday night for drop off, they inspected it Wednesday and Thursday he said I could pick it up Friday if I wanted. To me, the speed of the job is worth what ever extra I'll be paying plus he'll give me some off to pay in cash.

The RV dealer, who has 3 sites, recommended them, they do RV's every week.

He told me he can get cheaper rotors, made in China, from NAPA if I wanted to go that route but I said no, prefer American made.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggem View Post
I finally decide to get my caliper replaced per Workhorse recall, and after contacting Both Camping World and the Chevy dealer both of these had no idea what I was talking about??? (that workhorse customer service suggested) I get in touch with a truck frame shop that agrees to do the recall and am informed that there may be extra "things" required Shoes, rotors, lines seals etc and this could add up to $2500.00 or so? And I would have to leave it for 4 to 6 weeks, My question is two fold, is this common? and at what mileage should I expect out of rotors and shoes??

Any recommendations of any good shop within a couple hundred miles of Chicago?
The recall only covers replacement of the calipers. The rotors, pads, seals and such are the responsibility of the owner, which in my mind is bulls--t due to the fact that caliper piston seizing is what causes the other parts to have premature failure.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:13 AM   #9

Eric 1959
He told me he can get cheaper rotors, made in China, from NAPA if I wanted to go that route but I said no, prefer American made.

Where is he going to get the American made rotors? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, just curious because I was not able to find any USA made rotors when I replaced mine two months ago
Old 10-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just had the recall done on my 2003 Adventurer. Two days and no charge. It has 27K on it, and they found no issues.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #11

Had mine done when the recall first came out, changed the calipers and fluid. Took about 4 hours, I slept in the coach while they were doing the work. Everything else was good, not many miles on coach at that time.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have lots of small cracks in mine too.

My Workhorse dealer, who works on trucks, buses, etc said they are normal not big enough to worry about.

I'm at 80,000 miles and had the brake recall done at about 50,000 miles. Replaced two pads at that time.

I think I'd check around a bit.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:16 AM   #13

I will let you know manufacturer of rotors when I pick it up Monday. I checked into the recall info, just have to see if a sticker was placed near the brake booster or not. I would imagine Workhorse has a record based on VIN if the recall was completed or not yes?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1959 View Post
I will let you know manufacturer of rotors when I pick it up Monday. I checked into the recall info, just have to see if a sticker was placed near the brake booster or not. I would imagine Workhorse has a record based on VIN if the recall was completed or not yes?
Any workhorse dealer (Brazel's will check it) can check the vin# and tell you if the recalls have been performed. My recall stickers are on the tuba air intake and are bright yellow with the date

Tags
brake