Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
I recieved my AAA newsletter the other day, and it had some timley info in it concerning changing brake fluid. We are planning our first mountain trip, and the info regarding the need to flush and change the brake fluid could not have come at a better time. Like a whole lot of people apparantly, I never gave brake fluid much thought other than making sure it was full. I decided to flush my brakes, and refill with Valvoline Full Synthetic, for its higher boiling point. Man was I amazed at the gunk that came out of my system. Especcially from the front brakes. Evidently sediment likes to lay closer to the front. So the DW and I teamed up and spent 2 hours draining the system until clear and no bubbles. Took it out on the road for a drive, and noticed immediate improvement in stopping power. If you have not, or do not flush your brakes every 2 years or 24,000 miles (Nah that won't happen to me), I will say a prayer for you, and hope you don't hit anyone else when the brakes decide to fail coming down that grade.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I recieved my AAA newsletter the other day, and it had some timley info in it concerning changing brake fluid. We are planning our first mountain trip, and the info regarding the need to flush and change the brake fluid could not have come at a better time. Like a whole lot of people apparantly, I never gave brake fluid much thought other than making sure it was full. I decided to flush my brakes, and refill with Valvoline Full Synthetic, for its higher boiling point. Man was I amazed at the gunk that came out of my system. Especcially from the front brakes. Evidently sediment likes to lay closer to the front. So the DW and I teamed up and spent 2 hours draining the system until clear and no bubbles. Took it out on the road for a drive, and noticed immediate improvement in stopping power. If you have not, or do not flush your brakes every 2 years or 24,000 miles (Nah that won't happen to me), I will say a prayer for you, and hope you don't hit anyone else when the brakes decide to fail coming down that grade.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, that is great advise. Brake fluid will absorb moisture over time; especially if the cap is removed in humid conditions, and can lead to corrosion in the brake system.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:45 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
Air over hydrulic brake fluid needs changing also. Be sure who ever does it,knows how to bleed them. My local mechanic said he new how,but he did not. I had to drive down the mountain 45 miles to a Spartan chassic service center with no rear brakes to have them bled properly.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:56 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by machman72:
I decided to flush my brakes, and refill with Valvoline Full Synthetic, for its higher boiling point... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless your system came with synthetic brake fluid from the factory (doubtful) you just made a big mistake. Few vehicles outside of museum pieces that are never driven use DOT 5 synthetic fluid (even race cars don't use it) for several reasons:
First, DOT 5 synthetic fluid is compressible- meaning the brakes will actually be spongier whether you feel it or not. (This effect may have been offset and less noticeable because of the degraded condition of your existing fluid.)
And second, while synthetic brake fluid does indeed have a higher boiling point it is NOT hygroscopic- meaning it WILL NOT absorb and hold in suspension the moisture that enters the system. The result will be moisture pooling in the lowest parts of the system- i.e. the calipers, and rust will form. In short order you'll find yourself in need of new brake calipers (and possibly other components as well) which are very expensive. So I would advise you flush the system again and use the specified fluid.
If you need a second opinion, your chassis manufacturer can verify what I've said.

Best regards.

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Catdave good info to know. And to Steve for reminding us about the change.
Some tend to forget about these important items.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
What I used is labeled as DOT3 not a 5. I fully read the label before I used the product. Here is a product link.Valvoline
Old 09-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #8

I think we may be confusing synthetic with "silicone" brake fluid ... that does have the problems mentioned by "catfdave"
Roger Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roger Kneeland:
I think we may be confusing synthetic with "silicone" brake fluid ... that does have the problems mentioned by "catfdave" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Arrgh! You're right, Roger!
I had synthetic on the brain, and what I meant was silicone. Machman, I apologize if I put you on Red Alert with the bad info- I just didn't want to see you damage your brake system. Obviously my info doesn't apply here. Next time I'll look more closely to discern the word "synthetic" from "silicone."

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
No problem CatDave. All brake fluid is Synthetic anyway. I just used the one they were naming synthetic for its boiling point properties.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just keep learning more and more do we not.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I haven't bled brakes since I owned a 50 chev.
Has the procedure changed on new brakes? I have a W22 2004.
Brad
Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
hey all, If ya check with GM, They said in the service manual that ya need to replace with dot 3 every 2 years or 25000 miles. This is the P-30 chassis. I'm sure that Workhorse and Ford have a simular program.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #14

Ford does recommend changing the fluid. They say to use high temperature/High performance DOT3 brake fluid and also to change every couple years. Also on Ford chassis you are to dissasemble the brake caliper and clean and lube the slide very often At least every other year. If I remember right they use a silicone lube. It does not take a lot of time. I have done it for people on campgrounds in about two hours for the front. This is per a ford service bulletin.