Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Brake Lights don't work after Workhorse Recall Fix?

Hi to everyone, we're new members and look forward to maybe meeting folks on the road. We have a 2003 Southwinf 36B on a workhorse frame. 5000 miles.
My question is has anyone experienced a problem with no brake lights after having their workhorse motorhome fixed? I would run it back to the dealer but it about 3.5 hours away.
Thanks, and look forward to meeting.
Steve and Connie

steveoftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Sorry "bout" the spelling and I apparently don't know how to use spell check either!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We don't have the exact same set-up, but to get you started:
Check and see if it is just the brake lights or includes the turn signal/back-up/rear lights. If all the lights are out, look for a loose/disconnected connector or common ground.
I would check for 12VDC at the light. If you have 12V at the light, the ground is missing.
If no 12VDC, if it is just the brake lights, my brake lights are activated by a switch located above the brake pedal arm (under the dash). The switch is mounted to the chassis and disconnects when you push on the brake pedal – 12V to the lights when the switch isn’t contacting the brake arm. It is mechanical - adjustable by moving the switch or you can try checking it for 12V DC. If no 12V – check fuses. If 12V is there, follow the wires back.
Good luck - It would be nice if someone can help you by watching the lights while you test.
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Brake Light Problem

Thanks Tom
I'll use your recommended sequence to check (fuses appear to be good).
Thanks again, safe travels
Steve and Connie
Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do not have someone watching you can stand a mirror behind so you can see what is happening. I back up to my white garage door which relects the lights and it works for me. Probably old news to you but you never know------------------
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is nothing in the recall that should affect the brake lights at all, Not one thing. They do not even go near the brake light switch (Well perhaps six inches away during the final steps (Bleading the brakes) and testing, but likely only during testing)

The brake light switch is under the dash, above the pedal far as I know. Just like in your car.. the recall is all down under, at the wheels, save for the test drive.

Odds are

1: Blown fuse
2: Burned out bulbs
3: Bad switch
4: Other (broken wire)

The fuse is most likely in a plain unmarked box dead center under the hood (outside) if yours is like mine

On mine if I stand in front of the rig, hood open, I see the Inteelletec battery control center on the right side (in front of the driver's seat) That is not it.

In the center is another box, about the same size, at the bottom of this box are two brass studs (These are battery positive connections by the way) if you pull the latches (one either side of the box) the front comes off and inside is.. the fuse for the brake lights as I recall.

Turn signal fuse is inside below the parking brake pedal.

At least on mine.. Let me tell you. .When I popped that fuse.. I was excreating building blocks for a while (S---ing bricks) till I found it.. Thankfully, Earlier that very week I'd spotted this box and said "What the .... Is this)

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote