Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #1

Brake lights stay on when jake brake is turned on

I have a 99 winnebago diesel freightliner chassis. My problem is when i have the jake brake switch turned on, the brake lights are on full time. This means that the hazard lights will not flash if i am going slow up a steep grade unless i turn off the jake brake. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks
BOSSHOG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a crossed wire. At camp freightliner they said that BRAKES Lights will come on whenever the jake brake is actually braking. You can get the wiring diagram and see if you can cross wires art the switch on dash and that should take care of the problem. safe travels.. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Why would you have the brake switch on while going uphill???
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
...BRAKES Lights will come on whenever the jake brake is actually braking...
That's what mine do.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

so anytime that power is going from the jake brake switch on the dash, the brake lights are going to be on. regardless if you are currently stopping or slowing down. the only way to turn off the brake lights is to turn off the jake brake switch on the dash. this doesn't sound right to me. the lights should only work when the jake brakes are activated by taking your foot off the throttle and.
BOSSHOG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #6

Bosshog,
You are right, it is not correct operation. I can't help you with determining the cause, but you are right that it is a problem. I can only suggest that you have someone follow you and communicate the state of the brake lights under various conditions with the exhaust brake switch on: accelerating, cruising at a steady speed, and decelerating. Then come back here and report. Someone here most likely will be able to help you. .
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
On all our cars and trucks if the brakes are applied the emergency flashers quit flashing. Same on the MH including when the exhaust brake switch is on. But the question needs to be asked....why would you have your exhaust brake switch on when your going up hill?
Old 10-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Why would you have the brake switch on while going uphill???
lol, i think he used a wrong word... he might really mean "if i am going slow DOWN a steep grade..."
it's english, loose up man
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Some people leave the jake brake on all the time, it won't come on going up hill unless you let your foot off the gas. Some would rather use the jake all the time and the foot brake less to cut down on brake pad wear.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
lol, i think he used a wrong word... he might really mean "if i am going slow DOWN a steep grade..."
it's english, loose up man
I don't know what he meant, just what he said. As to always leaving the E-brake switched on, no-one but a few owners condone doing so. Since the service brakes are designed to last 1-200,000 miles, and the possibility of exhaust manifold cracking exists from E-brake over-use; I follow the recommendations of Winnebago, Cummins, and Pac-Brake -off until needed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm hearing 2 different answers on this thread. There is no way the brake light should go on when the exhaust brake switch is turned on. When the throttle is released and the exhaust brake activates a relay also activates, turning on the brake lights. You have a crossed wire or a stuck relay. If check the relay first.
Regarding emergency blinkers. If your brake light and blinkers share the same bulb, then the flashers stop when you press your brakes. If your blinkers and brake lights are separate bulbs then the flashers should continue to flash with the brakes depressed.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brake lights, lights