Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Brakes '94 Gulfstream

I purchased a 1994 Gulf Stream with 35,000 miles last year. I have been cleaning it up and plan to go back to North Dakota and Yellowstone. I have new tires, changed the oil, anti-freeze and everything looks ok. I thought that I should check the brakes so I took it to a local Les Shuab dealer and he said the brakes looked ok with 70% on the front and 50% on the rear. I deceided that I should also have the transmission fluid changed so I took Walts, a local dealer that works on RV's. They called me back about a half hour after I dropped it off and said that they always took RV's for a test drive before they worked on them and that the brakes look like the have at one time heated up and problem siezed and they could smell burnt brakes. I can not smell anything, although my smeller is not the best anymore. Now I am totaly confused. Do I change the brakes at $1200 dollars a axle or do I go with the brakes with almost 1/2 their life left.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
What chassis do you have?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #3

brakes

Ford
Old 07-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it has never had the brake fluid flushed being the age it is and all the more miles that are on it, I would do that. The brake fluid sitting inactive for all that time will draw moisture and the calipers, etc. will seize up. I would try that first before I spent $1200 an axle on changing brake pads that may not fix the problem.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #5

Drive around the block if a brake is bad or hanging up that wheel will be hotter. If all temps seem fairly equal take her on the road. I always hated throwing away good parts even if I did not get the job.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flush and change the fluid. Been there, didn't do that, brake problems.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club

Since the first place said the brakes were O.K., and now the place charged with changing the transmission fluid wants $2400 MORE of your money to replace the brakes, to me it's a no brainer, get another opinion! I'm always a bit shy when someone charged with one service wants to scale up to another one. That's one reason I never use a quick lube place, they always try to sell more. Flushing the brake fluid is a good suggestion for any vehicle that has been used as little as yours, so there's an excuse to go to another service station. I wouldn't say anything like, "Do I need a brake job?" Just go for a brake fluid flush. If they see something needing attention, O.K. After paying for the fluid flush, if they don't say anything about a brake job, ask if they saw anything needing attention. If you've driven it and it stops without pulling, you're probably are fine.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

don't replace shoes

I wouldn't replace the brakes if you drove it and the brakes felt ok. I'm not sure on the fluid but I have never replaced fluid. I heated up and smoked my brakes 2 weeks ago near Jackson WY and they still work fine.

Mike
Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #9

BFlinn 181 x 2! Get another opinion. If they are providing plenty of stopping power I sure would hesitate on replacing until you get a secon or third opinion. Safe Travels!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #10

Where the problem with disc brakes enters is when allowed to sit for a long time. The pistons rust and will not retract after being applied. Now you are driving with the brakes applied, at least for that wheel position. I have even seen that happen because the flexible brake line deteriorated inside and prevented brake fluid from exiting the piston area, thus leaving the brakes applied.
The amount of pad material remaining has nothing to do with the above conditions.
I also urge you to get yet another evaluation of the brakes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #11

I'm new here but I've been lurking for some time now.Generally I keep my opinions to myself but I just couldnt this time.

From what I've read you have a ford chassis with four wheel disk brakes.I'm assuming its an f 53 like mine,With that being said ,$1200 per axle for brakes repair is simply highway robbery.

I recently replaced the pads(front and rear) on my MH(96 fleetwood bounder).I paid $39.95 a set(per axle ) for my pads at a local car quest auto parts I do my own repairs and total installation was about 4-5 hrs .

I also replaced the fluid as has been recommended here.Where is the shop getting the cost from .
The rotors are available for $81.95 each X4=$327.80 and they probably dont need replaced
two sets of brake pads #39.95 x 2 = $79.90

Also I checked on new rubber replacement lines as has been mentioned and If i remember correctly they were around $35.00 each

If im missing something here I wish someone would enlighten me.
The folks here are giving you some very good info.I would atleast get another opinion .

Sorry if it seem like a rant but I hate to see someone getting taken for a ride.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be much much more inclined to believe the shop that said nothing was needed in regards to the brakes than a shop that was telling me I needed $5000.00 in brake work...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Where the problem with disc brakes enters is when allowed to sit for a long time. The pistons rust and will not retract after being applied. Now you are driving with the brakes applied, at least for that wheel position. I have even seen that happen because the flexible brake line deteriorated inside and prevented brake fluid from exiting the piston area, thus leaving the brakes applied.
The amount of pad material remaining has nothing to do with the above conditions.
I also urge you to get yet another evaluation of the brakes.
What he said. New fluid is never bad but it will not help above problems which is 90% of disc brake problems.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
As some others have already said, Get a second opinion. Do as they suggested and take it somewhere for brake fluid change and see if they also call you back and say there is a problem. The price is too high also.

Tags
brakes, gulfstream