Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-15-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
Brakes grabbing at slow speed

I have a 2003 Damon Intruder V10 gas w/ 9K miles. I have had the front rotors and calipers replaced (twice, same shop) and at slow speed (under 10 mph) going down a grade thebrakes grab left - right-left - right. This is a vialent grab that is felt in the brake peddle and steering wheel.
ABS system or what?

Ronnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
2 sets of brakes in 9000 miles

Do you drive with one foot or two?
are you absolutely certain you're not inadvertantly riding the brakes?

Could be a hydroboost problem?
It shouldn't be eating brakes like that. Pads and rotors on the F53 should last a couple decades!

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I assume that the rotors and linings were replaced to try to cure this problem.

Some possibilities:
1. Wrong parts were used. Some shops just never seem to get the parts right. Manufactures don't help. I replaced the water pump in an Olds twice in its life with me and both times, the manual called for an incorrect part on my vehicle. It has been a mid-model year update. I put brakes on a Civic and bought new drums. The new drums were defect but the resulting symptom of the rear brakes banging right before I stopped drove me nuts.
2. It is the ABS. I might have suggested a faulty wheel sensor (sensing a lockup that didn't exist) but since you said it is alternating, it might be an ABS computer problem. You should have an ABS light that comes on your dash when the system activates. Did you notice that? The dealer should have a code reader for the ABS system. Sometimes, it is part of the OBD-II. On my Saturn, it took a different reader for the ABS.
3. There is an imbalance between the brakes on your two axles. Perhaps the fronts are applying more pressure than the rears.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
If your rig is built on a Workhorse chassisthen I'm not surprised by your problem. Early Workhorse and the former P30 Chevy chassis had caliper/brake issues. Check for recalls.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Alternating back and forth between each front wheel points to a 4 Wheel ABS system problem. Your going to need to get someone to do a data logging session in order to monitor the wheel sensors when the problem is occuring. There are several isolation procedures in the Service Manual for various oddball speed sensor issues (Chafed wire, Intermittant Open, Out of Sync, etc.). In a 4 wheel ABS system, each front wheel is controlled independently and the rear wheels are controlled as one. A weak signal from a front wheel at slow speed can make the ABS controller think a wheel is locking up so it reduces the force to that wheel which results in the opposite wheel pulling harder. Throwing parts at this without a proper analysis is a waste of time and $.

I do not think it is a Hydromax or master cylinder problem because it is alternating between the front wheels. Hydromax problem would affect all 4 wheels. Master cylinder would be a front axle vs rear axle issue.

Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote