Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Brakes scared me to death!

On a recent trip someone in front of me bowed up and stopped without warning! I jammed on the brakes and the entire coach was jerking before stopping! The brakes seemed to be OK with normal stopping for the rest of trip.

When we got home I talked with my diesel mechanic, who also has a large DP, and he said I had been given a demo of how the ABS system works! He says that what I experienced was perfectly normal! I had no idea that the ABS would be that violent (at least it seemed that way at the time)

Anyone else had this enlightening experience?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Joe, I drove school bus for years and we had ABS, yes it can certainly wake you up.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
glad you are ok Joe but that is how they work to help us keep in control to steer out of danger
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same here Joe, you can really clean the cupboards with good breaks. We too had an idiot think our space was his/hers totally tromped the pedal.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
As others have said, perfectly normal. If you haven't experienced ABS before, I can be nerve-wracking & a bit panic causing. I test drive a MH the same as my car....get up to about 40mph then slam on the brakes so I know how it will react to a sudden braking situation.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several different ABS systems but yes, that is how they tend to work.. Also if you have a tag axle it can add to the jerks on a panic stop.

Be glad they worked.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Joe, so glad the ABS worked for you. If it had not been working you would have been in a sliding situation, which I'm sure you know is not good. The results of which would not have been good.

Jerry
Old 11-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #8

We have a 08 Workhorse gas and I got to experience ABS it is a scary sound but I'm glad I had them.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #9

Everyone who buys a new vehicle (to them) with anti-lock brakes should take it out and do a panic stop at least once so they know what to expect when the anti-skid activates. This can seem very violent, loud, and startling for those who are not expecting it. I'd recommend this for all new vehicles, be they cars, trucks, RV's or anything else with anti-skid brakes. I do it on a dealership demo ride and many times the accompanying salesman gets an education as well.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've never panic stopped my DS, but I have had occasion to activate the anti-skid on cars, shuttle buses, and on aircraft that weighed 20X my coach, and I have never encountered an anti-skid that actually jerked the vehicle. Yes, you feel the pedal vibrate, and yes you can sometimes feel the tires grab and release (if you're on dry or slightly slippery pavement), but I've never experienced anything I'd call violent shaking. Maybe coaches are different.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had three panic stops which engaged the ABS. All three times it was a nitwit cutting in front of me to take an exit.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Same here Joe, you can really clean the cupboards with good breaks. We too had an idiot think our space was his/hers totally tromped the pedal.
yep...i cringe hearing things move about....

but the abs was doing its job,
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Experienced it once in my 1999 Dodge Laramie 3500. Sounded like the rear end was coming out from underneath it.

Jerry

Tags
brake, brakes