Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

Brakes sticking on.

Hello all,
We took a little trip in the Gulfstream Sunclipper today and at one point I had to brake hard for someone who refused to give way as they should have. The RV was verry sluggish after that and I pulled over. When we stopped we smelled the smell of burning brakes.

It seems that the front calipers had jammed on. particularly the right front which was really hot. We removed the wheel and i undid and re tightened the bleed nipple which freed up the brake immediately but pressing the pedal down locked them once more.

I wasn't far from home so we limped back on the park brake but arriving at home I tested the brakes and there was no problem at-all. I think it was due to overheating in hard braking.

So, the question is, would a vapour lock pressurise the brakes enough to lock them on? Should I change all the brake fluid for fresh or should I look for deeper and more costly problems?

Bob.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpowell View Post
Hello all,
We took a little trip in the Gulfstream Sunclipper today and at one point I had to brake hard for someone who refused to give way as they should have. The RV was verry sluggish after that and I pulled over. When we stopped we smelled the smell of burning brakes.

It seems that the front calipers had jammed on. particularly the right front which was really hot. We removed the wheel and i undid and re tightened the bleed nipple which freed up the brake immediately but pressing the pedal down locked them once more.

I wasn't far from home so we limped back on the park brake but arriving at home I tested the brakes and there was no problem at-all. I think it was due to overheating in hard braking.

So, the question is, would a vapour lock pressurise the brakes enough to lock them on? Should I change all the brake fluid for fresh or should I look for deeper and more costly problems?

Bob.
BOB: you don't say which chassis or braking system you have, but the issue of sticking calipers is the subject of at least two "recent" recalls, one by Workhorse for the Bosch pin-slide calipers they used on the W-20 -22 chassis and more recently by FCCC for the Bosch calipers they used on their "fred" chassis. Once applied, the pistons don't retract in the bores and the resulting dragging of the pads against the rotors can create lots of heat and collateral damage.

Changing the fluid is always a good idea, but may not remedy the root cause which is swollen pistons. The recalls were to replace the entire caliper and other parts that were collaterally damaged, if necessary.

Which chassis do you have?
Ed

Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a Workhorse chassis, it is known for brake caliper problems. The brakes need to have the recall calipers installed and then bleed and flushed on a regular basis.

Ken
Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #4

Brakes sticking on

Hello and thanks for the various answers.
Delving into this a little more deeply I find that the symptoms are consistent with a motorhome with this fault having been parked up for a long period. We have used it very rarely over the winter and its parked outside for obvious reasons.

Looking over the documents I don't see "workhorse" mentioned anyplace and putting the VIN number in on the My GM site hasn't generated any recall notices.

According to the handbook this is a 1992 Forward Control Chassis. Is that a "Workhorse"?

The other thing I should probably mention is that the vehicle is in Europe so does anyone know the procedure for getting recall work done here if that is indeed the fix?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
this is classic brake hose swelling. If you have a forward control chassis, It is a P32 chevy. Chevy used a wide band clamp on the rubber brake hose. As it aged the hose would swell. It could not swell out, because of the clamp, so it swells in. The pump puts pressure on the fluid and causes it to apply the brakes, but it has no pressure to release the brake. That is why when you released the bleeder the problem stopped. Replace the hose and you will be O.K.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #6

Another possibility is the caliper slides should be cleaned and lubricated. Brake fluid should also be replaced regularly as it (DOT3) is hygroscopic and tends to absorb moisture. I flush out mine every two years.
Steve
Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpowell View Post
Hello and thanks for the various answers.....

Looking over the documents I don't see "workhorse" mentioned anyplace and putting the VIN number in on the My GM site hasn't generated any recall notices.

According to the handbook this is a 1992 Forward Control Chassis. Is that a "Workhorse"?

The other thing I should probably mention is that the vehicle is in Europe so does anyone know the procedure for getting recall work done here if that is indeed the fix?
In a word, NO. A 1992 chassis cannot be a Workhorse because they didn't exist prior to 1999. And, AFAIK, there never was a recall by GM / Chevy for a brake problem on their P32 models, so any repairs needed will be on you.

As "ga traveler" suggested, the hoses are probably the root cause of your problem and replacing them is likely your least costly option and should be done before replacing other components. Good luck-any good medium duty truck shop should have no problems working on your chassis.

Tags
brakes