Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

brand new inverter won't work

So I just got a new inverter so I could power my fridge off solar amongst some other things like my small fan and phones in my 1993 fleetwood bounder..and I turned it on to test it out and the light went on and it was red and not green, but on nonetheless. I then went ahead and plugged a cord directly into it to see if it would work and it did not. I am hoping to get this thing to work asap as I am headed out to a festival in a few days.
Help?

sidenote: I did have the inverter professionally installed along with the solar, and no I do not have the manual sadly
WanderinJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
YC1

Are your batteries run down or shut off?

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #3

Jen,

Get the manufacturer and model number off the inverter and look it up on the web. Every decent manufacturer I have ever dealt with had down loadable manuals for everything. I did a lot of this as boat work before the depression killed that business.

If it isn't there, resort to a Googlesearch and maybe you will find something someone has posted.

Matt
Old 08-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Can you get a manual online? Or trouble shoot it on line by asking about problems with that specific inverter? Might be a good idea to name the inverter & model. Someone might have the same model and have a suggestion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #5

Get a meter and check that the polarity into the unit is right. It will not work otherwise. The light may be your clue.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinJen View Post
So I just got a new inverter so I could power my fridge off solar amongst some other things like my small fan and phones in my 1993 fleetwood bounder..and I turned it on to test it out and the light went on and it was red and not green, but on nonetheless. I then went ahead and plugged a cord directly into it to see if it would work and it did not. I am hoping to get this thing to work asap as I am headed out to a festival in a few days.
Help?
sidenote: I did have the inverter professionally installed along with the solar, and no I do not have the manual sadly
WanderinJen
In that case I suggest you take it back to the professional who installed it and have him fix it.
(While you're there get the manual he should have given you).

BTW, if more people held unprofessional professionals responsible for their sloppy work they might clean up their act.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #7

Thanks everybody,
I will go to the shop and ask if they still have the manual, I was pretty surprised they didn't give it to me too. Otherwise I'll look online. If none of that works, I shall be back!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #8

It would seem to me if you paid for an install they should have delivered an operational system. If not, than it should be their responsibility to remedy the problem.

If it is a common modified sine wave inverter, both of the plug outlets could be electrically hot and neither can be tied to the ground reference and the inverter can/will go kablooey. I found this little nugget of information the hard way!
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

no luck yet

So I found some online manuals and they were vague, short and unhelpful at best. So, with that option out, I now have the name of the inverter.
It is a " Cotek Pure sine wave inverter" - 1500 watts. Basically when I turn it on, the three red lights just blink at me, and nothing is plugged into it.
Does it need to charge? I have had it off since I got it installed.

the three red light indicators are for "input level" "load level" and "status"

check out the three pictures I attached.

the only button is to turn it on, off, or remote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	103651   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	103652  

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	103653  
Old 08-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The red blinking lights means the battery voltage is too low. This is explained (though not in any detail) in the Cotek manual I found online.

Input Level
Red blink (slow) 10.3-10.6v
Red solid 10.6-11.0v
Orange 11.0-12.1v
Green 12.1-14.2v
Orange blink 14.2-15.0v (too high)
Over red (?) > 15.0v

You would get no power at all when the input level blinks red because the voltage is too low to generate proper 120v, 69 Hz power. Therefore, no output.

The other lights have color coded meanings too, but they probably have no significance when no power is being produced. The Status led blinking red means failure, but of course it has "failed" is there is insufficient input voltage.

So, charge up your batteries and see what happens.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
YC1

You need to measure the battery input voltage.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #12

Magnum doesn't supply manuals with their inverters but it is available online.
I don't find this convenient but at least I can print the pages I need and go from there.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #13

As with SpyderRV and Mel S, the first place i would ask is the installer. Then IRV2, hahaha. And as Gary said red light blinking is low battery, so charge the bank and see what happens.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would like to see the other side of the inverter. What size wires did they install? How far is it to the batteries from the inverter? How a bout a picture of the batteries too.?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter