Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
FJM

Thanks, Mike and Donna. Did you find a big learning curve with a 40 footer as your first purchase? Makes me a tad nervous. I'll check out the web sites you mention. Thanks, again, for your feedback and advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJM View Post
Thanks, Mike and Donna. Did you find a big learning curve with a 40 footer as your first purchase? Makes me a tad nervous. I'll check out the web sites you mention. Thanks, again, for your feedback and advice.
The F53 with the V10 will handle the MH without any problems. As good as a DP? NO! The V10 has a 5.3 axle ratio. In the 24,000 chassis they go up to a 6.? so still not a problem. However, here are some things to think about depending on the state you live in. A 22,000 chassis is the largest chassis you can get and still drive with your present license. In many states anything over 24,000 pounds GCWR requires a special class drivers license. Diesel will require a written air brakes test in addition to the other written test. Probably will not have to take physical exam like the commercial. Although I had a commerical license when I was working I gave it up. Plus wife does not have a commercial license. We just made our decision based on that information since she will also be driving the MH.

We have a Monaco 33 SFD. It is 34 ft and has stacked washer/dryer.

Do your homework before you buy. Your requirements may be different than what others have purchased.

Go out and drive these MHs. The dealers think they got a sale when you drive one. Don't be afraid to drive one and then say NO. It is a big purchase.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
85K will get you an excellent used DP or a new gasser.As far as gassers, 2 years ago our kids bought a new Class A Fiesta 35 ft gasser for 82k in Florida they have put 35000 miles on it and travel with 3 kids a, dog and cat. So far not a problem, they tow a Honda van behind. IMHO I will still go with a DP{36ft +}they seem to ride better [air bags] stop better [air brakes and engine brake] handle better [don't get thrown around in the wind as much]. They seem to be stronger and heavier built. We have a 340 hp Cummins and go over the Rocky Mtns all the time with no problem towing a small pickup. DP's don't seem to depreciate as badly as a gasser. JMHO but one model I see consistently in parks with full timers is a Monaco Windsor every owner I asked said they had few problems and when asked if they would be trading in for a new coach in future they said NO, that speaks volumes to me. They were one of the best selling Monaco's built and it is hard to find many for sale.
After owning several MH's the best advice I ever got was to take DW and sit in a coach for an hour without the salesperson and pretend to actually live in it, to discover any problem areas ie. fridge to small, bed hard to make up, no pantry etc. Then do the same out side, pretend to hook up, and see if you have space for your chairs, table, bbq and so on. Sorry for the long winded reply
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #18

If you are going to spend most of your time driving from place to place and the MH will be your motel and resurant then 30/32' most likely will be OK. If you plan on spending significant time in one place, you might find a 38/40' to be more comfortable. You won't notice much difference going down the road in either; but a DP is definitely more comfortable on the road. Better ride and quiter. Parked, there isn't any difference and MPG is about the same. But as said, maintinence is considerablly more in a DP. Example; oil change $25 for gas, $250 for DP. I have had both the Ford V-10 and the GM V-8. Both worked fine, but my prefernce was the Ford. It road better and was quiter. Maintaining 65/70 on the interstate wasn't a problem with either. As has been said many times, find the floor plan that suits your desires. The last unit I sold, I paid for a weekend at a state park for the out of town buyers. It gave them a chance to try everything without me standing over their shoulder. Some thing I would request from a private seller. Lazy days in Tampa will let you stay in there place for a couple of days also. Consignment sellers like PPL in Tx might have issues with letting you try it out for a weekend, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck
Old 03-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #19

Not sure when the V10 was updated. It is a more powerful V10 in the class 'A' MH than the V10 used in the class 'C'. The V10 used in the class 'A' has 3 valves per cylinder.

Do I think the gas engine has enough torque. My answer is no MH has enough torque. Even a 400HP 8.9 litre DP will take 30 seconds to get to 60mph. I test drove both gas and diesel. I did not notice any difference and thought both were slow and cumbersome. By comparison my diesel truck and 5er according to Trailer Life Mag. accelerates to 60mph in 21 seconds. I think my rig is cumbersome but not as slow as a MH. The whole driving experience was better to me. No rattles, no shaking or vibration.

That being said MH's are very nice and have benefits over a truck and 5er.

So to me a gas MH is as acceptable as a DP. The trade offs balance out.

The Winnebago Adventurer 35P was at the top of our list because it has a full length wardrobe in the back. For full timing you need wardrobe storage. It is the top gas MH that Winnebago builds. And You can get a stacked W/D.

On another note - Columbus has a very nice State Park north of the city called Alum Creek SP. Also in the same area there is a full hook-up open all season RV Park called Cross Creek. The park is only a few years old so the shade trees are not quite big enough. When we come back thru Columbus after we go full-time we will stay at Cross Creek. A 3rd choice is a Nice state park named Delaware So. It is further north of Columbus.

Last winter I spent in Crystal River 70 miles north of Tampa. It is a great place to kayak. I booked the same place for next winter. Where do You plan to winter? I think in 2014/15 we will be near Austin Texas. Gotta try Florida then try Texas.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #20

Hello. We are interested in learning about tag axle units. Really like WB QD. Any coments
Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome FJM. As for the learning curve. It did not bother me as bad as it did Donna. I think it was like the second or third unit i drove, when a dealer just gave me the keys to a 38 footer to test drive and all he said was, don't get a speeding ticket and sent us on our way. I was able to return it without buying any utility poles or street signs. The two extra feet have been no problem.

I also agree with what Greezykid, the ride of a DP with air suspenion and larger tires has a much better ride than any gasser I drove.

Bsheldon also brings up good point about maintenance costs but the longevity of a DP should be much greater than a gasser.

Good luck and drive as many as you can that fit your style to help narrow it down, because there are many choices and be confident and comfortable in your purchase.
Shade Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another website that allows you to see what has sold and for what price is mhsrv.com.
Shade Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #23

I've had one gas and one DP motorhome, and I'd never want to go back to the gas version. I know that there are some very nice gas models out there, but I like my DP.

I think 32 ft would be too short for me to live in for any length of time, but I do like my space. My 38ft seems to get a little shorter for every week we're on the road.

I also recommend driving as many as possible because they all don't handle the same. A short coach that handles ok in calm winds may become a real handful in gusting side winds. The RV.ORG info mentioned above will explain wheelbase ratio, but too short a wheelbase is not good for handling.

Most DP's have a sharper turning angle on the front wheels. My gas model was 37ft, and the DP is 38ft. The DP will make a sharper turn.

Good luck with your search. It's much cheaper to buy your last RV the first time.

Fred
Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #24

Head down to North Trail in Ft Myer and look at their used MH's. They have a bunch. For a full-time unit you will want to stay away from the cheaper brands. Forn a good web site check out DeMartini RV. They have great pics and I give the web site an solid 'A'. They have a 2003 Fleetwood Revolution asking 75k. Maybe they will sell it for 68k. The Revolution was the top FW MH in 2003. That leaves you $$$ to get things fixed.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #25

I agree totally with the Tampa/Lazy Days suggestion. We are 1st timers and bought our used Monaco from them. James Paredis was our contact and was professional and did not pressure.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
FJM----welcome to the forum.This forum and others have been invaluable as a resource.We are also newbies as we bought our coach in Dec and took it to Fl in Jan for weeks.
We kinda got in a hurry and bought a coach in Indiana after going to an FMCA rally in Indpls we thought we might like to RV.
I wanted a diesel and we never even looked or drove a gasser.We have been happy with our Phaeton but we need to do things to it that I never really knew about until I owned it and lived in it.
We need to install an EMS unit and I would like a slide in the basement.It has a combo washer/dryer but I believe stackable would be better.
I have since seen units in Florida and on the internet that already have some of what we want installed and at a price near what I paid or even less money.
In short I think you can find a great older DP in your price range with good tires and some add ons that will suit you.Do try to hire a good inspector to check out the unit before you buy it unless you feel you are very qualified.Thre are so many systems to learn about.
Good luck and i hope to see you down the road!
Be sure to hir

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #27

Good posts about short wheel bases and handling. However, I think if you get any gasser MH you would want to add an anti sway bar and also Steer Safe or some similar product. I drove my new MH about 1200 miles before I could install the anti-sway and Steer Safe. The handling is totally different. The rocking and rolling and having to fight the steering is decreased tremendously. Several years ago I owned a 34 ft Pace Arrow MH so I was aware of some of the problems I may encounter and the remedies. It is not so much the length of the MH but length of the wheel base Vs the length of the MH. You will not notice this problem just driving around the block on a test drive. Once on the open highway it will become very evident. Road Master has a great anti-sway bar and Steer Safe has a great steering control device. Well worth the money. I wouldn't have a gas MH without them.

I hauled prisoners in a tandem 10 speed Crown bus for several years so I know how diesels handle on the road. My gasser MH with the modifications won't approach that of a Prevost but I am extremely happy with the handling in crosswinds. I tell people it stays on the road so well I can go back and make a sandwich and it steers itself.