Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

Smile Brand new RVer

My wife and I are going to the RV dealership sat to take possession of our 2003
Holiday Rambler Imperial 40'.Nervous and excited,first timers and preparing for retirement and some fun.This coach seems to be in very good condition,35,000
miles.I guess we are mostly concerned about what parks we can go in and the ones we can't.I did as much research as I could but didn't learn as much as I should have.Our plans are to drive it around this beautiful country for 2 years then live in while we build a log cabin for our final resting place.
Any thoughts on this brand of rv or maybe some advice?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #2

Sounds like a good plan. Stick to it and you will be happy. Do what you and your wife want to do and you can't go wrong. You are going to do what most people only dream of doing!

Old 07-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Congratulations and much enjoyment with your new RV. We had absolutely no issues finding campgrounds for our 40' motorhome and public parks were always our first choice. Private RV parks are definitely no problem.

All I can suggest is to pick a place you want to go and start searching the campgrounds. You'll soon get the 'feel' of where you can go with your 40'. Many national parks are no problem. We've stayed in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Rocky Mtn. Zion, Grand Canyon, Big Bend and others.

We've also used state parks along the Oregon coast and many other states. We've stayed in every one of Arizona's state parks.

Many towns such as the greater Phoenix area have awesome county parks with huge sites in beautiful areas. We've also stayed in city parks, especially the Dakotas.

National forest campgrounds in the west are plentiful for big rigs. Some have been redone and some even have full hookups.

We've also driven for a summer in Alaska and used public parks and great boondocking spots along rivers and lakes.

You'll have no problem with your 40' fitting. No....you won't fit in every single one but you'll fit in plenty of them. It will take some research. Their are many web sites nowadays to find them or just Google the park itself or surrounding town.

Have fun!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

If you have done your due diligence, you have picked a great coach. If you have not had it inspected by a qualified independent RV service person, I would advise that you do it before leaving town. All used motorhomes will have some issues, but it will make your first and successive trips much more enjoyable if you can correct them before you hit the road. You will find the trip itself is as good as the destination. Good luck
Old 07-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Start out close to home, as in the driveway. Live in the coach for a weekend and lock yourself out of the house. Make a list of everything you forgot. Next trip the closest camp ground to home. Again keep a list. Keep going further and further for longer periods of time. Take a Sunday drive in the coach to get a feel for how it drives.

Get a feel for how fast your waste tanks fill and fresh water empties. How much food will the fridge hold before you need to make a supply run. Get used to running the generator and long can you go just on the batteries. Get to know all the ins and outs of the coach.

Before you know it you'll be replying to new campers asking questions.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #6

You should have a 400 Cummins a good motor. Learn what you can about it and the trans. When checking the trans level use the key pad do a search to see how. How old are the tires, mine were 7 years old and 17K on them and that was the first thing I changed out. Set in the driveway and learn how everything works before you get out on the road. Then do some checking on a good toad and how you want to set it up. With air brakes Air Force One is a great way to go.
With good weather get on the rood and seal up everything, I used RV ProFlex from Camping World or Ace great stuff, works great on fiberglass, water leaks are a killer.
Have a great time in your new rig.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:24 PM   #7

Unhappy newbie rver

Thanks to all of your comment's and advice.We are very glad this forum exist's and their are people like you, willing to offer advice and encouragement.
I'm quit sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future.
Thank's again,
JimJan
Old 07-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJan52 View Post
My wife and I are going to the RV dealership sat to take possession of our 2003
Holiday Rambler Imperial 40'.Nervous and excited,first timers and preparing for retirement and some fun.This coach seems to be in very good condition,35,000
miles.I guess we are mostly concerned about what parks we can go in and the ones we can't.I did as much research as I could but didn't learn as much as I should have.Our plans are to drive it around this beautiful country for 2 years then live in while we build a log cabin for our final resting place.
Any thoughts on this brand of rv or maybe some advice?
Congrats on the new coach!

My family just picked up our 1st coach a couple of weeks ago. We decided to move it to a park about 20 minutes from home, and have lived in it for the last 2 weeks. Needless to say, this has been an adventure and we have learned A LOT.

We figured out that these coaches are packed full of quirky little things that you'll have to figure out either through trial and error or by reading through the giant suitcase of operator's manuals (I'd strongly suggest making time to organize the giant suitcase in a way you can quickly find info... makes life a little easier in the long run).

First things first, get some kind of insulated covering for the windshield. That windshield in the middle of summer can act like a giant magnifying glass used to burn ants (and you're the ants). The curtains close out the light but the heat still comes through with a vengeance. We thought about ordering the custom-fit blackouts, but opted to save a couple hundred bucks and make our own. You can find Reflectix insulation at Lowes (Shop Reflectix 100-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation (48-in W x 25-ft L) at Lowes.com). I bought a 4'x25' roll and have enough left to do other windows if needed. Cut it to a snug fit and then cover it with a couple layers of black screen mesh so you don't blind the neighbors when the sun hits it. When you're done with it, just roll it up and store it underneath. This dropped our inside temp 10-15 degrees.

Next, check your plumbing and caulking in the bathroom. These homes move and things tend to wiggle loose, and water can find its way onto the floor or draining out underneath. I'm actually planning to spend a day this week repairing a loose u-joint under the shower drain because the rv moved but the joint didn't want to.

The main thing is to spend a little time living in your new coach while you're close to home so you still have access to any tools/local hardware stores/etc. that you may need to get everything ready for your first road trip. And enjoy the adventure! The quirks can add to the experience if approached with the right attitude. lol!

The great thing for us (me, my wife, daughter, and 2 dogs) has been that we've learned that we don't actually need most of the stuff that we thought we needed to live comfortably. After our first week in the rv, we packed up most of the stuff that we brought for "survival" and took it back home to get it out of the way. Instead of everybody sitting and staring at computer screens and tv's, we come together to watch the sunset.