Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2018, 11:19 PM   #1

Brand new to the RV community

Hello friends,

Im new to the RV community and we've just started this journey. Im looking for as much help as I can get before my purchase. My needs so far are looking for the super reliable class A that can easily tow my Prius and small flatbed trailer.
I don't need to sleep more than 6 and don't need a 30 plus footer. I don't know if gas or diesel is the better option. The list of manufactures seems long if i could narrow that to 5ish would be a tremendous help. At least then i could start looking at floorpans, towing, water capacity generators the list seems long for now but hey one step at a time.I look forward to everyones experience and insight.

thanks for having me

Ali
aperezsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Super reliable isn't gonna happen in an RV. You have a supersized Matchbox toy with different operating systems that have been created, fabricated, assembled and installed by humans. Then you take that creation and subject it to a constant barrage of earthquakes that can range from 3 to 6 on the Richter scale.

Finding a less than 30' coach with the ability to sleep six and still tow a Prius on a trailer without weight issues will be as big of a challenge, especially if the six are going to be passengers also.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:55 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Welcome Aboard!
1st is to get a good grip on your financial budget, that will weed out what you cannot afford to buy or maintain..

Look and research what the other posters (Me included) have listed for their RV, It will give you a better idea of where they are basing their opinions from..

What looks small but do-able at first blush, can become excruciatingly tiny and cramped in just a few short days or weeks during inclimate weather.....

Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever had or used an RV?

If not I would suggest renting a class C for a week or so.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:23 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. I too would recommend you rent a class C for a short trip to see if it even works for you
Getting what you want will be difficult at best, especially with the weight requirements. You probably will end up with a Class C.
You need to figure you budget and that will eliminate some choices. Then go kick some tires and visit as many dealers as you can just to get some ideas.
Again rent one for a short trip first.
Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #6

Six people in an rv... I wouldn’t want to be the person dumping and filling the gray and fresh water tanks 2 or 3 times a day.

Six people in Prius doesn’t seem like a good time either.

Why not consider a big van or suv and go the vrbo, resort or hotel route? This would be the lesser expensive option. Rv’s are a one way money pit.

If a decision is made that you and one other person wants to go “all in” on a less than 30’. Then know the following:

There is a new class C setup using a RAM quad cab Cummins diesel.

Some people tow with a diesel class c sprinter chassis.

All class A gas rigs use about the same chassis, components and manufacturing technologies.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ali! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Get out there and get busy kicking those tires!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:06 AM   #8

Thank you to everyone that shared insight. So this is what I learned from my first RV show.
I don't fit in a class c, travel trailer, pop up, or class b rv. The showers and bathrooms are waaaay to small for me. So I revised my list of needs. I don't want six people in nothing I drive or tow, i need the largest bathroom i can find and the most water capacity i can carry. So my 30 footer dream just got flushed along with my wallet and after looking at what seemed like a gajillion different floor plans. We found something that might suit our needs
a 38 foot fleetwood pace arrow diesel that had the best layout we saw, a shower and bathroom i could fit in. At a price that we could afford (Barely) Thanks again for everyones insight. PS so when you say "money pit" how bad are we talking ???
aperezsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperezsh View Post
Thank you to everyone that shared insight. So this is what I learned from my first RV show.
I don't fit in a class c, travel trailer, pop up, or class b rv. The showers and bathrooms are waaaay to small for me. So I revised my list of needs. I don't want six people in nothing I drive or tow, i need the largest bathroom i can find and the most water capacity i can carry. So my 30 footer dream just got flushed along with my wallet and after looking at what seemed like a gajillion different floor plans. We found something that might suit our needs
a 38 foot fleetwood pace arrow diesel that had the best layout we saw, a shower and bathroom i could fit in. At a price that we could afford (Barely) Thanks again for everyones insight. PS so when you say "money pit" how bad are we talking ???

OK here's some help...

There are so many things to consider when buying ANY RV that only deep reading and researching can help equip you with the knowledge you'll need to try to make a good decision on a purchase. It will also help train your eyes and equip your mind to know what to look for when you go out and look at different units.

"so when you say "money pit" how bad are we talking ???

Without really knowing what to look for and being patient for the right unit...it could be endless and give you a serious case of buyers remorse. It's like anything else in life—to make better or good decisions—knowledge is power.

My suggestion to you is, is to camp here on this forum and other forums and doing nothing but read, read, read. Make notes. Start to form POI's and make a list of things to pressure and understand further. And while you're reading and learning, go locally and look at other units that are for sale, just get a feel for what's out there. This will train you.

I saved this link from quite awhile ago from a fella here who bought a DP. He was well versed in exactly what I'm talking about and now armed with knowledge he went through the following procedure to acquire the coach he found. IMO...this is a text book case in how to buy an RV. Be sure to read the whole post. It'll be like going to school.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/i-th...oo-327364.html

Then here's a link to get you started in your reading:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=Qyu...71.73wEaTNHaec

Good luck my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperezsh View Post
1st is to know your budget restraints.
For bathroom size look for an "open or pass/walk thru layout.
Tank sizes vary with manufacturers and floor plans..
Here are several coaches that may meet your needs..but they are older "top drawer" therefor a bit spendy compared to the usual suspects..
(click on the initial pic for larger pic's)
(These coaches have 110/112 gal fresh,112/115 gal gray and50/60 gal black tanks..also will have 150 to 200 gal fuel capacity
very large basement storage

They also are "fully live-able" with the slides retracted..(A BIG Plus)

2000 Foretravel U320 40' Priced at $ 84500
(there are others on this site as well)

Foretravel Motorcoach - 2002 Foretravel U320

And a non-tag axle coach
Foretravel Motorcoach - 2001 Foretravel U320
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:32 AM   #11

www.newmarcorp.com
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote