Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
brave 33V and airbag

Dear friends,

I am living in The Netherlands and bought a Winnebago Brave 33V (model 2001) on a Workhorse chasis with some 15,000 miles on it in March 07.
The first year we have had a lot of problems but now (nearly) everything works well. The rig has 39,000 miles on its odometer now.
I like to have information on the following.

In September 2007 (20,000 miles) a have had a problem with my left front tire and I was advised to change (both) ball joints. After this repair ($ 1753) it worked well. This year in September (35,000 miles) I have changed all six tires and during that job the Good Year guy told me that my ball joints were 'loose'. In went immediately back to 'ball joint repair shop' and asked them to check these ball joints. They replied: "Nothing wrong with these ball joints, but you need to replace your airbags!" A $ 650 job.
The question is, I am not a technician - and my fluency in (technical) English is not as it should be - so I am not able to check what is really happening.
Could anybody advise me how I could check myself what is the real problem?

Thanks a lot

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

From what you describe you must have the "P" series chassis with coil springs on your front suspension.

This type of chassis generally came with rubber air bags inside both front coil springs as a suspension assist.

There should be air lines from each bag to a valve stem similar to the type on your tires. See if you can find these valves and check the pressure with a tire gauge. Average pressure for these bags is around 50 to 60psi.

If you have less that that add air to bring both bags up to 50 or 60psi, then after a couple of days or so recheck the pressure, if pressure remains the same then your bags are OK and don't need replacing.

If there's a significant drop in pressure then you either have a leaking valve or air bag and need to take the necessary action to replace the valve core if the leak is there or the bag if leak is from the bag.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to www.workhorse.com and download the chassis guide and you will find complete instructions for the P series chassis airbags. It may that the PO did not maintain the pressure properly. Just like tires the airbag pressure has to be checked and maintained on a regular basis.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
brave airbag

Thank you Jim & Sherry for your quick and clear answer. This morning it was the first time I went under my motorhome and inspected the airbags. I tried to pump them but after a short time I have got the impression that bot of them are worn and leak. So I have to replace them.
Do you know what is a resonable price for that job, parts and labor?(I have got a quote of $ 650)
Thanks,

Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
From what you describe you must have the "P" series chassis with coil springs on your front suspension.

This type of chassis generally came with rubber air bags inside both front coil springs as a suspension assist.

There should be air lines from each bag to a valve stem similar to the type on your tires. See if you can find these valves and check the pressure with a tire gauge. Average pressure for these bags is around 50 to 60psi.

If you have less that that add air to bring both bags up to 50 or 60psi, then after a couple of days or so recheck the pressure, if pressure remains the same then your bags are OK and don't need replacing.

If there's a significant drop in pressure then you either have a leaking valve or air bag and need to take the necessary action to replace the valve core if the leak is there or the bag if leak is from the bag.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find,

Tags
airbag, ball joint, brave 33v, workhorse