Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Break the suction

Has anyone found a roof mounted air deflector, that can be mounted on the top, rear of a coach that will break the suction created behind your rig, that drags all the dirt and road grim to the rear surface.
I have seen one model coach that had one built into the rear cap. (Don't remember the make) What is needed is one that can be attached to any coach (Class A or C) I would think breaking the suction would also help fuel economy
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #2

Try theseAerodynamic Fuel Economy Savers for Road Vehicles
Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There is a lot of turbulence over the roof of a motorhome - from the many protrusions up there (a/c, skylights, vent pipes, fridge vent, satellite domes, antennas, etc). I doubt if any kind of roof-mounted device could be effective. Well, unless designed in a wind tunnel for that specific coach roof.

I've seen spoilers for the rear side edges of a motorhome, intended to break the suction behind the rig. Couldn't find them online just now, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Google "World's Fastest Motor Home"

The motor home is a slightly (MUCH) modified GM, Dang near an antique by defination (How long ago did they stop selling GM coaches?) but it has just the spoiler you are asking about.. The outfit that made it is in the RV customization business and likely can provide one for your ride as well. I don't know how much good it will do at 55mpr, but at 120.. I am sure it helps.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
what were those lil triangle things you glue to the sides?
All the rage a year or so ago...
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
what were those lil triangle things you glue to the sides?
All the rage a year or so ago...
Look at post #2 in this thread
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone actually used these AirTabs with sucess? I've read their information, but, do they work? The cost is modest if they actually provided better mpg or better handling. MFG always say their product works. I'd prefer to hear from RV'ers that installed them and had good or bad experience. They look kinda ugly to me. If I could gain more milage I'd consider them. so far the only thing that has proved to give me better milage is a lighter foot on the go pedal.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have seen the Air-tabs and I agree "Ugly" describes them. No one has come forward to say if they actually break the suction. I remember station wagons in the 70's had a deflector on the rear roof as an option. I installed one my daughters Subaru Wagon and it kept the rear window clear of road dust
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Holiday Rambler Vacationeer about 2000 had the molded endcap air deflector. Only lasted two years talked to the chief engineer at Monaco and he said they quit it because people were stepping on it when they went on the roof and breaking them. this required new end cap and
Monaco decided it wasn't worth it. Their design was to reduce dust/dirt on back of the coach according to the engineer
Old 08-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
the deflectors on the back of station wagons work to keep dirt off the back window, but at the cost of increased drag. aint no free lunch!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
The rear of my MH would get dirty with oil spots all over it within 500 miles of being washed.

I had the Ultra Guard installed on the rear. And that fixed the problem.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On another forum one member tested them and found a very small gain in fuel mileage on an older Foretravel DP. Something like .1 or .2 MPG overall, but he also reported the rig as more stable when being passed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
I have them on my MH and they do keep the rear of the coach and the towed cleaner. As far as improving fuel economy goes if it does help it is not enough to notice. Personally I think they are worth the money just for the cleanliness.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #14

Air tabs. We use them on our Semi tractor and trailers. Drivers report that it is like tieing a tail on a kite. Keeps the trailer straight in a crosswind and keeps the back of the trailer cleaner, and helps with visibility behind the trailer in the rain. Fuel mileage is hardly noticeable, but the rest is really worth it. Paint them the same color as the motorhome and few will notice.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote