Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Breakdowns / Repairs

What would class A owners of 10 year old (pretty well maintained) coach (diesel) consider acceptable breakdown and repairs on a yearly basis? $5000 a year? A breakdown every 3000 miles? I'm just trying to get an idea. I know it will vary but....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #2

Reading these forums would lead one to believe RVs are very unreliable because people post their problems and issues either looking for help or trying to help others through their experience. There are not many posts about uneventful trips. I wouldn't worry about it. Just do your best to inspect and maintain and have fun.

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartk1 View Post
What would class A owners of 10 year old (pretty well maintained) coach (diesel) consider acceptable breakdown and repairs on a yearly basis? $5000 a year? A breakdown every 3000 miles? I'm just trying to get an idea. I know it will vary but....
Hartk1
Well My last coach was a 97 American Eagle.. I sold it this spring and bought an 04 Travel Supreme.. Which is now 10 years old and used this past season..
The Eagle I drove for 3 years and 20K miles.. The only real "Breakdown" was a blown plastic air line that was too close to the exhaust.. It took the road service guy 25 minutes to fix.. The only reason I couldn't fix it was I didn't have a new fitting! I expect no less from the Travel Supreme.. Sure I spent money on Maintenance and a PAC Brake that needed some fixes but I would consider those true Maintenance and not breakdowns..
It really cost me nowhere near $5K a year To maintain it either..
If you maintain it "Breakdown" should be a very rare occurrence. Otherwise there would be trucks littering the highways everywhere..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My unit is 11 years old and average $200 a year in maintenance. Two years a go I had someone repair my AC, replace all my 6 batteries,ABS sensor, and AC compressor. That did cost me around $4000 with oil change. Normal is the $200.00
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If I had a breakdown ever 3000 miles, or had to spend $5000 a year on maintenance, I would probably sell the MH. I do my own maintenance and most of the money I have spent on the rig is for things I wanted or parts for maintenance. No where near those numbers.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
If I had to spend $5000/year on breakdowns I wouldn't own one. We did spend that amount in the first year, but it was doing a complete update on the coach ie..flat screens, HD satellite system, news cabinets, awnings, and mattress etc. Once we got it the way we wanted it the rest is just yearly maintenance.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #7

If it is ten years old and if it has original tires you would be looking at over $3000 if it has 22 inch wheels. Everything else is pretty much a guess. If nothing fails then usually a yearly service on the engine, chassis and generator set is not all that much especially if you do the work yourself. Just my thoughts.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #8

Here's my reason for asking. Coach has 80,000 miles on it and pretty well maintained. 1st trip out this year water heater quit. Replaced bith T-stats and electric element and it's working. The pac brake quit. It was just froze up so a hammer and wd40 fixed it. Clearance lights went out. Replaced with LED's. Then it started smoking. Turbo and CAC went bad. Shop (cummins) says a pinched breather tube allowed crankcase pressure to build blowing seals out of turbo. $5000. Next trip a wheel seal. This is all since memorial day for a total of 2200 miles. This is not to mention all the small things I fixed myself. Maybe I'm just getting the bugs out of it.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #9

Oh, and the Dometric Fridge only gets down to about 44 degrees. I hope that's not next.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your problems and I hope you are correct that you are working the bugs out. Everyone seems to have different experiences with the vehicles they purchase. What do they say when you buy used--" you could be buying someone else's headache" I have been fortunate with two used MHs with no major problems and fingers crossed, My luck will continue. Hope yours improves.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We, also, had purchased a well-maintained DP with 55,000 miles and 10 years on it at the time. What we found was that even the best maintained MH will have things that the previous owner chose to overlook or simply didn't think to have repaired. You're going through that currently. Don't worry, that process will be over in a year or two. In addition we have replaced all the electronics because they were out of date and we replaced a Norcold piece-of-junk with a residential fridge, but those were choice we made not something forced on us.

I think your general question has to be responded to in "segments." I don't do any significant amount of maintenance myself so my estimates are probably at the upper end of cost.

I make the assumption that annual maintenance (oil, filters, lube) plus generator service will cost ~$600 at my CAT dealer. I could have it done for a bit less elsewhere, but I like the fact that the CAT dealer can download engine ECM data.

In addition, each year I assume that some other item that is on a 3-year replacement cycle will need to be done. For example, next spring it will be transmission filters and an air filter. This will add another ~$300.

Then, on top of that, I assume there will be $500-1500 in unexpected repairs. For example, a couple of months ago I noticed that I was missing one of my wheel lugs. Because one of the interior lugs had shattered we decided to replace them all (because of possible stress failure of the others) and, of course, while they were being replaced a stud broke. It wasn't a big deal problem, nothing that ~$300 couldn't fix.

With these assumptions, I therefore budget $2000-3000 per year for maintenance and repairs. This does not include the very big ticket items such as tires which we have already replaced once.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
11 Years and 68,000 miles. Three breakdowns. Coolant pump failed, fuel line broke, and injection pump failed. The injection pump cost @$4K.

Rig is now 18 yrs old. These things are rolling earthquakes, but $5,000 per year would make it someone else's problem. I would not own it.

Sorry to hear of your recent experience. Hopefully that kind of repairs is now avoided for the next 10 years.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
With these assumptions, I therefore budget $2000-3000 per year for maintenance and repairs. This does not include the very big ticket items such as tires which we have already replaced once.
Great minds think alike -- I budget $3K a year for my 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire. Mine was more of a SWAG than docj's.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I recently purchased a 2005 Newmar that appeared to have all the maintenance records. With the exception of new tires and batteries it looks like the previous owner spent, on average, about $500/year.

Tags
repair, repairs