Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #15

We here in the Midwest don't have to worry about all that [moderator edit] with emissions

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oops I hit the wrong button!!!!

The tail pipe is 5 inch so there is no significant volume of exhaust coming through it. So unless the slobber tube running into the exhaust were at such a bad angle, I doubt there would be any pressure or vacuum created in the slobber tube.
As far as the exhaust being hot enough to cook the tiny amount of oil mist that would come out of the slobber, that may or may not happen.
It would however, blow the tiny,tiny bit of blow by to the side and not on the toad.
Seeing that I do not have a blow by problem, I obviously must have way too much time on my hands.
I was just thinking about doing away with my slobber tube catch container and was noodeling on this minor brain storm.
Thank you all for your thoughtful input and pictures.

Chuck

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy blase View Post
We here in the Midwest don't have to worry about all that [moderator edit] with emissions
Like I tell my grandchildren ,
I've gone green.
I'm trying to get rid of all that nasty diesel as fast as I can .
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post

Has anyone tried exiting the breather tube into the exhaust pipe and with what results ?
If done right it would have a small savaging affect and would eliminate the need for any other device to eliminate any oil mist coming from the breather tube and getting on your toad.
To me it would make a lot of sense doing it this way which got me to wondering if anyone else has tried it ?

Let me warn people about catch bottles on the road tube or slobber tube. A friend of mine added a catch bottle. Took a plastic bottle and poked a rubber hose into it and attached the other end to his slobber tube. all was good for a while and then the turbo started blowing smoke. He replaced the turbo, big money! A few miles his new turbo started doing the same thing. turns out his plastic bottle had no exit hole for the vapor and once a small amount of oil covered the tube inserted in the bottle crankcase pressure built up and caused oil to bypass the turbo oil seal. He removed the bottle and no smoke. He didn't need a turbo after all. Ya'll be careful!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #19

I like the slobber tube to exhaust mod. I think the temps would be high enough to at least vaporize the dribbles from slobber tube. So no more oil on toad!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racesport View Post
Let me warn people about catch bottles on the road tube or slobber tube. A friend of mine added a catch bottle. Took a plastic bottle and poked a rubber hose into it and attached the other end to his slobber tube. all was good for a while and then the turbo started blowing smoke. He replaced the turbo, big money! A few miles his new turbo started doing the same thing. turns out his plastic bottle had no exit hole for the vapor and once a small amount of oil covered the tube inserted in the bottle crankcase pressure built up and caused oil to bypass the turbo oil seal. He removed the bottle and no smoke. He didn't need a turbo after all. Ya'll be careful!
Commonly called a cork.
It's a wonder he didn't realize that he was plugging up the slobber tube !! The lesson here is, if you don't know what your doing, DON'T !!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #21

Myself, I don't see venting that tube into the exhaust as a problem. At expressway speeds you may have enough exhaust temp to further vaporize the "slobber", though around town maybe not so much? For my own purposes though, I'll remain quite content with my slobber tube setup, carefully run down hill for it's entire length, and directed to the side opposite the exhaust, which has minimized if not eliminated, any crud gathering on the toad.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We have used this concept on drag racing applications for years prior to the advent of dry sumps and vacuum pumps. Actually pretty impressive idea to use it for this application and should not present any major problems. These type of systems on a 4.5 inch collector generate around 4-5 inches of vacuum at best on a highly sealed system, I typically run 20 inches of vacuum on my 712 cu in combination. The only issue we have ever seen is galling of the piston pins once the vacuum gets up there, we add oil clearance for that issue. You may ask why all that vacuum, its worth over 30 hp at 7600 RPM on our motor. The only thought I have in the negative is if you have a poorly sealed motor it could possibly suck in dirt/humid air which could potentially cause some issues. That is not really an issue on a drag race engine with frequent refreshes but could be on OTR.
Take care
B
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With 2,000 RPM Diesel exhausting through a 5 inch tail pipe I would doubt that there is enough flow to create any vacuum, (venturi effect). However, if the slobber tube pipe going into the tail pipe was installed at a bad angle, you could get some pressure into the tube. Very bad idea!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #24

DR, as what you say for the drag engine use is 100% correct

please remember these Cat and Cummins engines don't run light tension rings nor do they run the narrow rings as we us in drag race engines
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
I wonder, if this is such a good idea, why hasn't Cat or Cummins, or Detroit Diesel ever do this? I imagine there is some reason, whether environmental or mechanical that restrains them from this simple solution to oil vapor on the back of the vehicle. Given the expense of rebuilding a diesel engine, I'd be real hesitant to experiment on MY rig, but if any of you do it, please keep us informed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #26

Oil on Toad

After reading several posts about oil from the slobber tube and oil on the Toad.

I would like to know if the oil blow by is normal or abnormal.

We purchase our 2005 KSDP in Oct 2011. It is on a Spartin chassis with a Cummins isc 8.3 330 hp engine. We made a trip from Denver to Orlando and a couple of trips over the mountains.

There has never been any oil blow by from the engine or any oil on the Toad.

The oil dipstick was replaced and clibrated to the factory specs right after we purchased the unit and before the Orlando trip.

Just wondering about the blow by?

Dwight
Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Blow by is normal, a small amount of gases from the cylinder escapes past the rings and into the crankcase. These gases can then carry microscopic oil droplets out the slobber tube. I found that Cummins has a remedy for this, they make an add on device that filters the gases and returns the oil back to the crankcase.

Clearing the Fog with Crankcase Ventilation

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote