Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #1

Bridgestone Tire Discussion

If I overlooked a tire thread here in the forum, I would appreciate the mod moving me over there. This is probably more of a question than a discussion.

I got in a bind and had to remove the two front Goodyear tires from my Discovery. They were about six years old and one was unzipping while the other had balancing beads clumping inside causing unreal problems. I went to my wholesaler and his company had a falling out with Michelen (sp?) so I ended up puting two Bridgestones on the front.

I'm just curious if anyone else has put Bridgestone 265/75R22.5 R25OF Gs on the steering wheels of their motor home. I'm leaving tomorrow on an extended trip and will get more experience with them but the short trip home from my tire guy made me very happy that he had suggested these particular tires. They seemed to give me a better ride than the Goodyears did when they were new and appear to want to track a lot better.

Realizing we all have our favorite and our most hated tire, does anyone have experience with these puppies?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Bridgestone R250's (19.5's) on my previous gas coach and they were fine. I also have the G670's on my current coach and the fronts had river wear so badly at 30,000 miles that I had to rotate them to the rear.

I can tell you that a local commercial truck tire guy that I know sells Bridgestone, Continental, Michelin and Sumitomo. He sells a lot of tires to motorhome owners and he says his customer feedback is that folks are most satisfied overall with the Bridgestone's. He noted that the Bridgestones are not much cheaper than the others so the satisfaction is not just based on price.

That said, you will likely get more varied responses on the Class A Motorhome Discussion area so I will move this thread over there.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #3

I had R250's put on the rear of mine last winter. I did notice considerably less sway with the R-250's.. BUT they do have a much heavier sidewall than the Micheliin XRV's that I replaced.

I will be replacing the Michelin fronts next spring with the R250's. I've not had any problems with the Michelins, but at 6yrs old it's time. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see your comments about them on the steering axle.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #4

We have the Bridgestone 19.5 R-250F series on our coach and consider them to be excellent tires. The only other tire I would consider using is the Continental HSR's.

Good luck with your new tires

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #5

I have 22.5 Bridgestone on all tire positions for three years and 15,000 miles.

Very good ride.

Equal Powder in fronts and no balancing on the rears.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
If I overlooked a tire thread here in the forum, I would appreciate the mod moving me over there. This is probably more of a question than a discussion.

I got in a bind and had to remove the two front Goodyear tires from my Discovery. They were about six years old and one was unzipping while the other had balancing beads clumping inside causing unreal problems. I went to my wholesaler and his company had a falling out with Michelen (sp?) so I ended up puting two Bridgestones on the front.

I'm just curious if anyone else has put Bridgestone 265/75R22.5 R25OF Gs on the steering wheels of their motor home. I'm leaving tomorrow on an extended trip and will get more experience with them but the short trip home from my tire guy made me very happy that he had suggested these particular tires. They seemed to give me a better ride than the Goodyears did when they were new and appear to want to track a lot better.

Realizing we all have our favorite and our most hated tire, does anyone have experience with these puppies?
I'm assuming your tire guy knew the load requirements for tires for your coach. The last thing I consider when buying tires is brand name popularity. First is correct replacement size, second is continued use by fleet operators, third is national availability and local pricing.

I'm not particularly impressed by anecdotal reports. Two things operate against getting useful data from casual responders to forums.

First, All new tires will provide a different riding experience than tires that needed to be replaced. If the new ones don't feel much better when you drive home from the tire shop then something is probably wrong.

Second, there is a type of error recognized in Social Psychology called Confirmation Bias. When anyone of us makes a decision about something we have a natural tendency to focus on aspects that seem to confirm our "good" judgement and ignore, or miss, aspects that suggest that we screwed up.

I was a research Psychologist, but never played one on TV.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also using (19.5") Bridgestone 250F's on the front...
and quite happy with them after quite a few miles too.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #8

It's amazing to me that anyone can tell the difference in ride quality after changing to a different brand. I've done that several times and never noticed any difference.

Jim E
Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraKen View Post
I'm assuming your tire guy knew the load requirements for tires for your coach. The last thing I consider when buying tires is brand name popularity. First is correct replacement size, second is continued use by fleet operators, third is national availability and local pricing.

I'm not particularly impressed by anecdotal reports. Two things operate against getting useful data from casual responders to forums.

First, All new tires will provide a different riding experience than tires that needed to be replaced. If the new ones don't feel much better when you drive home from the tire shop then something is probably wrong.

Second, there is a type of error recognized in Social Psychology called Confirmation Bias. When anyone of us makes a decision about something we have a natural tendency to focus on aspects that seem to confirm our "good" judgement and ignore, or miss, aspects that suggest that we screwed up.

I was a research Psychologist, but never played one on TV.

Wow, and here I was feeling good about sharing my opinion and experience with Bridgestone tires.

I suspect the OP spent $1,200 dollars on new tires and wanted some purchase decision comfort from people who already had made the same decision.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #10

I work for a truck company that uses almost all Bridgestone tires. I have used them for years and I can tell you they are very good tires. I purchased my 2002 Diplomat with a new set of Michelins but I will replace them with Bridgestone when they are worn out.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #11

I was just about to put 6 R250F (19.5) on mine but the only guy around that carried them couldn't obtain any new ones for me nor could he guess when he would get more in. I decided to go with XZE's instead.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I love Bridgestone's... RV, car, LT, dont matter...

Weird, 'cause I dont like Firestones
Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #13

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
We just put Bridgestones on our - all 6 new - love them... ride quality "seems" better... can't be sure.... they are the 295/80-22.5 R250's... put the equal in as well
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #14

Thanks SMLRANGER

Smlranger, I appreciate your moving my discussion here where it would possibly generate more activity. To those of you who responded to my request, thank you very much because those comments were good for me to read. To the other two of you, ...

As I stated in my beginning post, I was about to head out for some serious highway driving with these new Bridgestones ... a tire brand I had never had on any of my vehicles. One thing I know for certain is that these tires run down the highway with a lot of smoothness, due in no small part I'm sure to the balancing they received when installed. I had Equal in the two front Goodyears that were taken off and after nearly six years of use ... despite what other experiences may be ... the right tire had a clump of equal stuck in one place and had caused serious cupping and ugly wear on that tire. I know this for a fact because I saw it with my own eyes. So no more balancing beads for me ever again.

To be honest, as I was driving West on Interstate 10, the Gulf of Mexico was trying to move itself up into Texas and I was fighting a 20 to 25 mph South wind. Even though my Discovery has SafetySteer (or whatever it's called), I've always had to fight strong crosswinds and this trip was no exception. Therefore I can't say the Bridgestones were better or worse due to the fact I had the crosswind all the way to where I'm parked now.

My final thought is that I will probably become a Bridgestone fan unless these puppies try to unzip or otherwise break down on me. My personal thanks to those of you running Bridgestones and your willingness to speak up for them. I'm looking forward to the same success.