Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

Bright Ideas (Standard versus "High Performance" Halogen Headlight Bulbs)

I had the misfortune (or perhaps fortune??) to have one of my headlight bulbs burn out after just a few months on my new Expedition. After pulling the bulb (an H1 LL) and going the auto part store, I now discover there is an alternative "High Performance" equivalent (the H1 ST), which brighter, provides more coverage, etc ... but which apparently lasts ~1/3 the lifetime of the standard bulb. (at twice the price). Safety being an important issue, I am tempted to just up and replace at least the high-beams with the brighter bulbs.

Does anyone have any experience, pros- and cons- using these brighter, more expensive (but shorter lived) bulbs????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, but I'll be watching this thread. Our headlight beams are pitiful.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I went with HID bulbs and transformers. Changed out the daytime running light relay with a standard Bosch relay and now I can see better than any other way possible with a long bulb life to boot.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much night driving do you do? In my case I have never driven when I needed the headlights. I have DRL but check my headlights every Spring and they are good for another year.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #5

Cloudy lenses cause most of the loss of illumination in headlight systems. As for the "brighter" bulbs, they probably are but they'll also be hotter and deteriorate the lenses faster. Just MHO here.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I went with HID bulbs and transformers. Changed out the daytime running light relay with a standard Bosch relay and now I can see better than any other way possible with a long bulb life to boot.

Can you elaborate?

I did not know what you were talking about (not uncommon for me) so I went searching and found this website for example:

35 Watt Digital Slim HID Replacement Ballast

The claim here is a bulb life of 2 to 5 years and a disclaimer about checking local laws as these are meant for off road use?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I suppose the side bar question is whether or not price (to some reasonable extent) should be a factor if you believe it has a tangible improvement in safety or comfort.

There are some things that are just worth the price. If that wasn't the case, would you have a MH at all?

In the end, it may not totally boil down to how much night driving you do or plan to do. Instead, I think the issue is that if you see potential for night driving then having better lights become important. Ironically, I think that the less driving in the dark one thinks they will do, the more important it is to have better lights to help reduce the impact of the night time environment to being as little as possible.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I suppose the side bar question is whether or not price (to some reasonable extent) should be a factor if you believe it has a tangible improvement in safety or comfort.

There are some things that are just worth the price. If that wasn't the case, would you have a MH at all?

In the end, it may not totally boil down to how much night driving you do or plan to do. Instead, I think the issue is that if you see potential for night driving then having better lights become important. Ironically, I think that the less driving in the dark one thinks they will do, the more important it is to have better lights to help reduce the impact of the night time environment to being as little as possible.

I can add my agreement here. I intend to add the "brighter" bulbs even though my night time driving is limited; you can never tell. And the last time I did drive any distantce at night I drove right "over" my lights.

I actually just found out about them the same way the OP did but it was my twenty year old truck that needed a new bulb that caused me to go look, what an array of choices.

I am still interested in a clarification of the HID lights and transformer etc; some indications that they may be so bright as to not be legal in some circumstances.

I have been blinded by oncoming vehicles with some of these lights or equivelant and I want to make sure I do not do that to other drivers. At the same time I want to be bright as possible.

Oh and the prices on these things vary all over the map so shopping is a good idea. Mine were cheaper at the local auto store than on line by quite a bit.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
One thing that should be checked is voltage at the headlight while the engine is running and the headlights are on. Mine dropped to 10.9 volts, making for poor headlight output. Once I added a relay to supply battery/charging voltage to headlights, I measured 13.6 v.
A nice improvement, especially since I was trying to cure the issue with Sylvania Silver Star Ultra, the top tier of the Silver Star lineup.

Then I changed to HIR bulbs, not to be confused with HId lamps. What little night driving is now done in comfort and safety.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #10

For a good spot for information on upgrading lights this is a valuable site

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
While it is true that many states have laws on the books for the use of HID aftermarket lights; there are also laws on the books for dimming of high beams when approaching other vehicles. It all boils down to using common sense. Make certain that the alignment of the headlights are such that they do not blind any one else but allow you (the driver) to see better; which is safer. The cost was equivalent to a set of Sylvania super bright bulbs but do require some installation (about 45 minutes). All in all. I am glad I went this direction and have not had anyone else complain about me doing so.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been using the Sylvania bulbs for a couple of year in my Subaru, they work well. Yellowing and hazing of the lenses is primarily a result of UV and environmental causes and the bulb is not the cause. Headlight aiming is also a factor in how well you can see.