Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
GKW

Bringing Dead Trojan Deep Cycle Batteries to Life

Had a big pleasant surprise this week. I had lent a friend my Electric powered golf cart to use a year ago. He called the other day to inform me the batteries were dead and wouldn't take a charge. I went to investigate the problem and found all 6 Trojan 12vdc batteries were dead alright. All of them were absolutely dry as a bone due to his "maintenance" program. I thought for sure they were goners and $200 bucks times six were the remedy. I filled each one with one gallon of DI water to bring them up to level. They wouldn't begin to charge after that. Another friend in the construction business who has a lot of equipment and lots of batteries told me what to try. Jump a full 12 volt battery to the dead one that won't take a charge and at the same time put a charger on the dead one, and then remove the jumper battery. It worked, and the battery then began to charge to full voltage. Each battery came up to normal charged level using this technique. The cart was then run around the golf course for two 18 hole runs and only needed a short charging cycle to come back to full, so I think the batteries must have been degraded but it doesn't look like much.I have disposed of many batteries in the past which I now wonder if they could have lasted a while longer. Has anyone else ever used this method? It sure is worth trying.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #2

Yes and know. With a completely dead battery, 6 or 12V you will need a high charge rate to get the process started. By that I mean something over 50 amps. Most chargers can't do that. I have hooked up a fully charged battery (same voltage) to a dead one with jumper cables and then put a charger on at the highest rate. Sometimes works as you have described. Glad you were able to save your batteries.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It seems that the old ferro resonant type chargers would charge a dead battery. They are the ones with a transformer inside and are heavy. The new electronic chargers don't or can't.
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote