Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #15

we have an enclosed Wells Cargo trailer to carry either our Harley Ultra or our Honda ST1300. The trailer and bike pull like they are not even there and the bike arrives safe, clean and ready to ride.
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #16

I tow a Haulmark 14 foot Low Hauler trailer. In it I can haul two big Goldwings or one Scion XD.

The tounge weight is about 850 lbs. with the car. The car weight is 2665 lbs. and is 12'+.

It for me, is the perfect set up. I can take a bike, or a car. I can back it up, with no problems, and it keeps everything clean.

The trailer also fits in a 7' garage door. I usually try to drive about 60 mph in order to keep the tires cool. The trailer is rated at 4700 lbs. net/7000 gross.

Sustained high speed will blow almost any trailer tire.

Jim
Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JIMGINOH:
Sustained high speed will blow almost any trailer tire.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats why I run LT tires on my trailers.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We pull a Nissan PU with the Harley in the back. Loading one the Harleys into the shortbed can be exciting at times and I am sure at some point in time in my life the thrill will be gone and a powerlift will be installed in the back of the truck.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #19

tmar10
Isn't your Harley longer than the bed of the truck? I would love to see a picture of that.
ecarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
ecarbone,
You are correct. The rear wheel rest on the back of the bed and bottom of the tailgate. We have taken around twenty trips with our current configuration, with no difficulty. I have recently noticed some buckling of the inside panel on the tailgate forcing me to begin the reinforcement project. I am debating on either a hinged steel plate that is attached to the bed that fills the gap between the bed and tailgate, the addition of reinforcing panels on the tailgate or both.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #21

My 2008 Ranger tailgate indented some on the inside after loading harley, even though rear tire sits inside bed. I put a 1/8th inch piece of diamond plate across tailgate and that took care of problem.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #22

I just wanted to comment on this thread. Seems like everything I have done to RV has been based on the motorcycle. It is a passion since youth and I would not RV without it. We tried the 5r toyhauler route and for a fulltimer it just was too confining for living. We explored a regular 5r and decided it would stress its frame or weigh too much. We finally ended up with a Class A. We purchased an E150 Ford Econoline van and thereby had a trailer with a motor. We put in a driveline disconnect and set it up as a toad. It is a good system.
We decided to sell it and place the motorcycle on a hitch and then place a 4X4 behind it. The van idea is a really good idea if you have a sport bike or a bike that does not weigh out like a Wing or HD. It is my little 4X4 habit that I cannot break. We still have the van if I change my mind as it will be hard to leave the bike out in the elements and subject to strangers tinkering with it. Then again there is Engineer Pass to go over! Maybe it will sell and take that stress off of me
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
We drive a 35' Newmar Motorhome, and have sold the Jeep so we can start pulling the Goldwing Trike behind us. We use an open trailer, and have no problems. The rock guard on the rear of the coach, as well as the mere size of rig keeps most everything off the bike.
We would rather ride than drive a car when we are touring away from the CG. If it rains, we put on our raingear and have fun.
You should see the envying looks we get from others as we unload and take off on a ride.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #24

Gene, I have to respect that. The thought crossed my mind but DW sure did not favor that plan. We stay at a Walmart at times and I do worry about the bike back there with a bunch of idiots floating around. Sure is a personal decision.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote