Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 AM   #15

Also feel your pain...

My DW and I also had reservations in the Keys - Sugarloaf Key (near Key West) in February. So, I decided to pull the MH out from under the carport to get it ready for the trip. One basement door was apparently not latched closed and when the MH started rolling out of the carport, the door opened and caught against one of the carport posts holding the roof up. The post won! The door was mangled to the tune of a cost of $2,400 to replace the door. Thank you Progressive for paying that bill! It's now sitting at CW in Tallahassee waiting for a new door and the DW and I are sitting at home wishing we were in the Keys. Yes, I feel your pain...p.s. note about Progressive Ins. - I couldn't be more pleased with their prompt service. And, I have a $500 deductible on the policy but because I had had no claims in the past four years, the deductible had been reduced to $0.00 (25% reduction for each year with no claims).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #16

Just want you to know that the weather/lifestyle is still great here in Key West.

Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
so with in a hour of leaving? coach hasnt been started for how long? sorry about your bad luck
Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #18
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Just want you to know that the weather/lifestyle is still great here in Key West.
Great. We are probably going to miss our reservations. Got a place for us to hookup?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #19
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
so with in a hour of leaving? coach hasnt been started for how long? sorry about your bad luck
Starting it once in a while would not have made any difference, but starting it a week before would have caught the problem with enough time to repair it. It will be one of my pre-trip rituals from now on.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
What did you find out?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
The casting on the variable vane controller for the turbo cracked and was dumping antifreeze. Hopefully the Cummins repair shop will get one on Monday and we should be on the road that night.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 PM   #22

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it almost seems like dejavu. The weak batteries might not be from failing batteries but from corrosion. I would take off all of the cables, take a multi meter reading of each individual battery, and then clean all the cable ends and posts. It's amazing how seemingly dead batteries spring to life with good contact. Good luck, eh.
ARollingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
The casting on the variable vane controller for the turbo cracked and was dumping antifreeze. Hopefully the Cummins repair shop will get one on Monday and we should be on the road that night.
Now, that's good news!! Hope it all works out. So much time and expense is spent on vacations, I hate to hear stories like yours.

I will be heading out of Ohio to Florida in late Feb on the maiden voyage of my 99 with mother, sister and brother in law. I spent all summer getting the 5.9 Cummins in top maint condition. New tires, as well. Wish me good fortune that we have no troubles, if you don't mind.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Way below zero........

Quote:
That's a bummer Larry, did your coolant freeze up and is that what cracked it? I take that your Coach is outside? I hope you get on with your travels soon, enjoy your trip.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #25
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
No, I tested the coolant and it is good to -30F. Never got below 0F here. I'll know better when I look at the part but it probably was a stress crack due to the cold temps and maybe a defect in the casting itself. It is something that really should not have happened.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Will Cummins cover it?

Quote:
No, I tested the coolant and it is good to -30F. Never got below 0F here. I'll know better when I look at the part but it probably was a stress crack due to the cold temps and maybe a defect in the casting itself. It is something that really should not have happened.
Is Cummins going to cover it Larry? Are they working on it right in your driveway? or did you have it towed to a Cummins dealer?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Great. We are probably going to miss our reservations. Got a place for us to hookup?
We're at the Navy campground on Key West. Space is available, all you need is a military ID, Active, Retired or 100% disabled.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #28

You are lucky! We brokedown in Gallup NM and spent 9 days and 2 repair shops to get back on the road again. Also cost us over 5K. I would rather breakdown in the driveway!!!