Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
There are no error messages on the remote. I'm thinking the fault light lit up at one point in the beginning, probably when the battery was really low but I'm not sure. Haven't seen it since.
We have all the manuals so I'll supply the repair guys with them today as well as the phone number to magnum.
Thankfully, it hasn't been too cold the last few nights.
We are at a campground and will ask to check someone else's battery bank. Does it matter what kind as long as it's a newer class A?
Thanks so much for all the help
Do you have 12 volt or 6 volt house batteries? If your house battery bank is 6 volt, how they are wired is critical.

I do know the Magnum inverter will shut down if the battery voltage drops below I believe 10V. When it does, the green LED will slowly flash on the inverter.

I am with a previous poster thinking you have a battery problem. If you had no similar problems before the new batteries were installed, I would want to be absolutely sure I had good batteries before buying another inverter. Your inverter is probably $1,700 - $1,900.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #142

The age of the rig wont matter, just make sure it's the same number of batteries and the same size I assume six volt golf cart batteries.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #143

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
While waiting for the new inverter, the techs bought over a battery charger and hooked it up. That doesn't even seem to be charging the batteries fast enough to keep up with whatever is draining them. (This is without the heat on or lights on) Thye're baffled by what could be draining the batteries so quickly, though they still believe that the inverter is bad based on their testing. They've been hooking up the voltmeter to everything, and are also questioning whether the new batteries were wired correctly.
They don't make the inverter/converter that we have (Magnum 2000) so they're putting in a Magnum 2013.
Any ideas? I know these guys are attacking it form every angle and calling in for other's opinions, but any new ideas could be helpful!
Now, some of that doesn't sound good coming from a tech and with questioning whether or not the batteries are wired correctly or are they saying that they are now OK, but maybe were possibly wired and charged in reverse when first installed?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #144

Family:

Where are you in GA?

We are in Stone Mountain for the next three days and then heading to Helen, GA for a week or so.

We came in from SoCal staying South and slow to stay behind the storm, we have seen nothing but blue sky since we left on the 8th.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #145

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Now, some of that doesn't sound good coming from a tech and with questioning whether or not the batteries are wired correctly or are they saying that they are now OK, but maybe were possibly wired and charged in reverse when first installed?
I agree. I question the techs abilities. I have heard of charging batteries in reverse and the only way to fix that I know of is to completely discharge the batteries and recharge correctly but I am no expert on this at all. Wow! What an ordeal!

Alan
Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #146

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thye're baffled by what could be draining the batteries so quickly
Would be interesting if the problem was simply corroded battery terminals and dirty cables. If so the batteries defiantly would not charge from an external battery charger and maybe not from the inverter or alternator. ( I know you mentioned the alternator does still charge them ).

Our chassis batteries were going dead in Florida one year and I thought for sure it was due to the age of the batteries ...on our way home the alternator guage dropped and we started losing power ( things started beeping )... boosted the Genny and let that run to get us home. So I thought dead batteries and a bad alternator. Nope, simply the battery cable leading from the last pos battery terminal to the disconnect switch was not letting current through. Put the test light on terminal ( it lit ) then put it to the other end of the cable and it would not light. Took cable off cleaned the heck out of both ends, replaced and then everything came back including the alternator guage.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #147

For lack of any other ideas I think I would start at the batteries maybe disconnect each one and test them or connect a external charger and turn off the disconnect switch if they won't take a charge it has to be a bad battery or they are wired wrong. Google six volt batteries in series for a diagram. Have these techs ever seen a motorhome before?
Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Bill View Post
Family:

Where are you in GA?

We are in Stone Mountain for the next three days and then heading to Helen, GA for a week or so.

We came in from SoCal staying South and slow to stay behind the storm, we have seen nothing but blue sky since we left on the 8th.

Bill
We're up near Rome, heading to Florida as soon as this is fixed. Maybe stop in Savannah on the way.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #149

Hallelujah !!! Looks like it's one bad battery!!! The techs at Magnum Energy spent an hour plus going through different testing with our guy and finally determined that the inverter was doing its job and one battery was to blame. Because it was after 7:00 when he finished up we're going out tomorrow to get the battery and install it. So we won't know for sure until we install the new battery if it's certain, but all signs point to a bad cell. Luckily for us, it's still under warranty, too! Things are looking up!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #150

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
That is good news lets hope. When you started putting all the facts out there, swapping out the inverter seemed like last ditch / very $$$ answer.

Quote:
They said you should hear the inverter fan running and you can't.
In my tt the inverter fan will come on after I have at least two overhead lights on and nothing else running. So it takes very little for the fan to come on. I can't hear it running from the couch area, but if I go back near the bathroom I'll hear it running.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #151
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No comments on what it's taken for you to get to this point, here's hoping it works out well for you.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #152

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am very glad that the techs called someone that knew what they were doing. Your symptoms really sounded like a bad cell. When an external charger would not charge the batteries it almost had to be a bad battery. I would not have tried to guess whether a bad battery would have taken out the inverter or not so I was not sure your inverter was ok. But sounds like they have checked that now so a new battery should have you in business. Just in case you do not know how there are a lot of posts on here telling you how to hook up 6 volt batteries in series parallel. I would suggest you read those posts very carefully make a diagram on a sheet of paper. When they repace your bad battery make sure it is hooked up right before they put the last cable on. Based on your experience with the techs If someone they recommends replaces the battery I would want to make sure it was done right before it was actually hooked in circuit.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #153

Quote:
Hallelujah !!! Looks like it's one bad battery!!! The techs at Magnum Energy spent an hour plus going through different testing with our guy and finally determined that the inverter was doing its job and one battery was to blame. Because it was after 7:00 when he finished up we're going out tomorrow to get the battery and install it. So we won't know for sure until we install the new battery if it's certain, but all signs point to a bad cell. Luckily for us, it's still under warranty, too! Things are looking up!
Great the problem is solved. This does not bode well re the competence of the techs doing the trouble shooting.

Checking connections and batteries should have been the first things to check when DC power problems are encountered. Many chargers have a shutoff relay that prevent the charger from working if there is insufficient back voltage from the batteries. A bad connection or a bad battery is often the cause of this. I experienced this in my golf cart charger.

But if you have 4 batteries, and only one was bad, it would have been logical to take the pair of bad batteries off line and work with two good batteries. Again, I don't give those RV techs high marks for not figuring this out right away.

Good luck and glad to hear all will be well.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I asked the OP in a prior post if they had 6 v or 12 v house batteries. I don't remember seeing that answer in this thread.

In any case, I am glad the problem seems solved.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote