Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #155

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah, we hope this is and was the problem. Hindsight is always a good resource for all of this. If my son had not gone to Rapid City, SD this weekend to met us, so we could pick up his dog so he could keep his job in North Dakota working in the oil fields, his Allison transmission would not have gone out - right. He could have stayed in North Dakota, had his dog put down and not lost his job and continued to live in his fiver and froze (-30 to -40 a lot of times) as he has done all winter! If it was easy everyone could fix this stuff. This indeed was a very interesting topic which I'm sure we all of us received some good information and advice. Keep us updated Kevin!

98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #156

Hi Kevin, Lynne & Sarra + pets,

Been following your ordeal. Good outcome, thankfully, and good advice from lots of folks.

If you're going to stop in Savannah on the way down or back (a great city to visit), here are a few CGs you might consider staying (assuming you're not boondocking). You can Google or find on internet:
1. Sunshine 912-236-9345, take I-16 exit 160, turn south on GA 307. 10 min to downtown Savannah. Looks like nice family park.
2. Savannah Oaks 912-748-4000, take I-95 exit 94, turn west on GA 204 for 2 miles. 30 min to downtown. (Another park on 204 Hollow Oaks, 912-748-7330 5 miles off I-95).
3. KOA 800-562-8741, take I-95 exit 87, turn south on US 17. 35 min to downtown. Nice park.
4. Skidaway Island State Park 912-598-2300. You have to drive RV through Savannah (ugh). Also 30 min downtown, via Truman Pkwy.

Good travels, John

Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #157

Just wanted to update: Still waiting on a battery. Since it was under warranty we had to get the same brand and naturally the local Interstate dealer doesn't have the one we need in stock so we're waiting for it to come from Alabama.
On the bright side ( because there always is) we're not back in the Massachusetts snow (70 degrees here today) , we're only paying $14.50 a night at a decent campground with our PA discount, and the rv guys, who, although they could've been more experienced, (but certainly knew more than we do) were honest, overly helpful and nice enough to give us 2 jars of authentic moonshine! Because what's a stay in the North Georgia mountains without moonshine?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #158

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was just on the phone with a vendor of mine on Mass and they got even more snow last night!

Yup, when in Rome drink from the common well!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Just wanted to update: Still waiting on a battery. Since it was under warranty we had to get the same brand and naturally the local Interstate dealer doesn't have the one we need in stock so we're waiting for it to come from Alabama.
On the bright side ( because there always is) we're not back in the Massachusetts snow (70 degrees here today) , we're only paying $14.50 a night at a decent campground with our PA discount, and the rv guys, who, although they could've been more experienced, (but certainly knew more than we do) were honest, overly helpful and nice enough to give us 2 jars of authentic moonshine! Because what's a stay in the North Georgia mountains without moonshine?
Cool - perhaps the techs sampled rhe moonshine before they started trouble shooting LOL, I presume the battery was 6v, is this correct?

Good to hear you are living cheap and the weather is nice. Enjoy.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Cool - perhaps the techs sampled rhe moonshine before they started trouble shooting LOL, I presume the battery was 6v, is this correct? Good to hear you are living cheap and the weather is nice. Enjoy.
Yes 6 volt.
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #161

Thought so, in this case all they had to do was take that pair of batteries off line and you are good to go until you get your new battery. I had a battery with an intermittent shorting cell. It got quite hot and the heat sensor shut the charger down. I also had a car battery explode, I presumed it had a short. The car was only 3 months old and battery acid was sprayed everywhere.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #162

Oh no!!!! It's happening again!! Put new battery in on Tuesday. All was good. Everyone was happy. Until now. Batteries won't charge from inverter. Anyone???????
Old 02-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #163

Got any of that shine left?
Were they or you able to verify that the wiring is correct? Possibly it's damaging that battery? Don't get discouraged some trips are like this makes you appreciate the easy ones.
Good luck
Old 02-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Got any of that shine left?
Were they or you able to verify that the wiring is correct? Possibly it's damaging that battery? Don't get discouraged some trips are like this makes you appreciate the easy ones.
Good luck

Thankfully there is still some shine left!
I'm working on verifying the wiring now. It's not as simple as it looks, as you all probably know.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #165

Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure where you are now but if you are still in Georgia go to Auburn Ga. Apalachee RV WILL fix your problem. I am serious! they are on the web Apalachee RV service.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #166

Started a new thread on this with pics of wiring if anyone cares to take a look HERE
slick, we're in GA but north west.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #167

I don't think they are wired correctly but wouldn't want to attempt fixing without knowing where the cables go. But I agree with others it doesn't seem right.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:44 AM   #168

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Started a new thread on this with pics of wiring if anyone cares to take a look HERE slick, we're in GA but north west.
4tfamily, I looked at your other thread and the batteries are wired wrong as you have some cables going - to - and some going - to +. I am not going to tell you how it should be as you had stated earlier you had the manual on the inverter. My manual tells how the batteries are to be wired depending on what you have for battery type and quantity. Mine shows four 12V and four 6V set up which is what you are looking for. Good luck as you could sure as hell use some good luck. Don't pay the techs as they are obviously incapable.

Alan