Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Just turn around and head west and look for a CG that you can plug in at least. There is a place I know of called Twin Pines near Harrisburg (Rt. 78 and Rt. 81). I'm not sure if they are open in the winter but it's worth a call. This storm is pretty big and promising snow amounts to a foot or more. No where to the East of you is safe right now. Most municipalities are out of salt so don't plan on driving at all tomorrow.
Totally agree but I seriously doubt any campgrounds are open. Yes, run the generator while driving. That is why I said I ran mine 24/7 so you would know. You need to go as far west as Mississippi to ensure you are missing this storm. As DGShaffer says this storm is pretty big and you can't go east far enough to avoid it unless you have oars. To avoid any carbon monoxide issues be sure your exhaust on generator is downwind. If you have time and the ability drive straight through to get around the storm by trading drivers and don't stop unless you need to. You are between a rock and a very hard place. What was your final planned destination?

Alan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #16

Final destination is Florida with.....get this .... A stop in North Georgia first. Are you suggesting staying the course on 81 south to get as far south as possible today?
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Ps batteries are BRAND new. Got them this fall. First trip with them. Not planning on boondocking ever again in this kind of weather. Just a quick overnight stop which ended up quicker than expected. So we should be running the genny even when moving? Doesn't the engine charge the batteries? Sorry if I'm asking not-so-bright questions!
The engine does charge the batteries. Running the generator while moving is to run electric space heater to stay warm.

Another problem that you could run into with the temps that low is propane can freeze in the regulator shutting all gas off to the furnace. With temps that low it is advisable to have a backup heat source, many carry space heaters.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
This storm is already dumping snow and ice south on 81 so I would be careful to head any farther south today. there's an app called RV parky that you can download to find CG's close to your location and through which you can call around to find one open to at least get AC power. They probably have already turned off their water but may offer a place to park with power for heat.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #19

I have had the same problem. I want to add Auto Gen Start so I don't wake up to dead batteries. Once you get the batteries charged with the generator you can turn it off while going down the road. The alternator should maintain the batteries.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Final destination is Florida with.....get this .... A stop in North Georgia first. Are you suggesting staying the course on 81 south to get as far south as possible today?
Depending on your timeframe and considering where you are going I guess I would try to make my stop in Georgia or get close to it. IMHO, you would have to wait out the storm a few days which is what it would take for you to drive west around it. This storm is quite large and extends west significantly. There is no easy answer for your situation. It sounds odd that your batteries would die overnight so I can only assume you have something else pulling power like bay lights, tank pad heaters, 12V electric basement heater or something along those lines. Find a campground as far south as you think you can get and try to get to it and hole up for a couple of days keeping in mind they might lose their electricity as well. Let us know if we can provide you any other information or support.

Alan
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have traveled in temperatures like this. Our furnace has a heat duct for the water bay. When driving, at -4F outside, generally the water bay can be as low as 38F. When parked, at -4F outside, generally the water bay is about 48F.

We had one trip, about -4F with strong side winds, and the water bay would get down to 32F after about 1/2 hour of driving. We would pull over for a few minutes, and the water bay temperature would quickly rise to the high 40s F.

So, we generally regard -4F as kind of the breaking point. If it gets down to -4F at night, it will usually warm up a bit when the sun gets up. So we can make it comfortably through another day. If it's going to be much colder than that, we can run the generator to power a couple of electric heaters, but usually we'll just dump the water, and winterize the system with RV antifreeze.

You have to know if and how the water bay is heated. We have a remote digital thermometer in the water bay, so we can monitor the temperature down there while we are driving down the road. Some coaches have a heat duct from the furnace to blow heat into the water bay. Other coaches have an electric heater. And some coaches have nothing. Some folks have found that hanging a 40 W light bulb in the water bay prevents freeze up. I don't know if that would be adequate for driving.

Regarding the LP furnace. While it is true that the heat is coming from propane, the furnace fan is electric, and we have learned that ours is a power hog. We run the generator for a couple of hours before going to bed, and by morning the generator needs to run again for a couple of hours to get the batteries charged up again. We have added extra house batteries. If you have a small bank of house batteries, you may need to run your generator more.

You have to know if your engine alternator is set up to charge your house batteries. Some coaches are, and some are not. If yours is not, then you may need to keep the generator running while you're driving.

Oh yes. Keep the fuel and propane tanks full.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #22

The northern most snow is currently at the border line of Virginia and North Carolina.and moving ENE at a pretty slow pace. It appears you have Internet access or you not be able be responding to this. Maybe you can look at the weather channel. I hope our collective information is of value.

Alan
Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #23

Re your question about the alternator charging your house batteries. Since you could not start your gen but did start the engine and then the gen started after a bit, I would say your alt charges your house batteries. There should be no problem running with your furnace on while driving.

I looked at the forecast and I would look for a place to park and get power and stay put. (just call around to see what is near you) Or find a place when you can top up with fuel and run the gen as required and sit there, such as a flying J or any truckstop, walmart etc. If you only have 2 batteries and the fan is on a lot, it could run your batteries down overnight, I have autostart on my gen and it has come on in the night at times. I have also run my gen all night as required.

If your water systems are not frozen now, it is likely they are OK, but getting an electric heaters is a good idea anyway.

Good luck. Going west does not make sense to me. I looked at the Atlanta Wx and they are going to get a dusting of snow also. (Now I call 6" a dusting, but for those folks it does create havoc.)

I agree re good working CO detectors, important when running the gen but I have never had Gen fumes in my coach with the windows closed.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #24

We have iphone connection. Not too good for weather interactive maps. Counting on you guys!
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #25

There is a campground right off I81 after Haggerstown MD called Falling Waters and it is open all year around with all services. If you have RV Parky or Allstays apps on you phone you can find it and many others on your route. Good luck.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Candy Hill campground Winchester Va pull in and wait the storm out i think that is your best option.
inspecterbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspecterbak View Post
Candy Hill campground Winchester Va pull in and wait the storm out i think that is your best option.
800-462-0545 Candy Hill Campground
Old 02-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
How big are your batteries. Most stock RVs do not have much battery capacity. The blower for the furnace is a major battery drain.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote