Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #43

To answer a few other questions. We own a 2008 fleetwood excursion 40 x. We have 4 aux batteries. All 6 we just replaced to the tune of $1300.00. Ran the generator and had them charging for at least 3 hours after we stopped for the night. Fridge was on lp. Furnace was on lp. So we thought we'd be good. Hopefully it was just the extreme temps keeping the fans on all night. I do actually have the automatic generator but forgot to set it up!! Oops!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Rain snow line is somewhere on the southern DelMar peninsula and will not start here till late tonight so you could have made it here to Ocean City Maryland today and been below the snow line. Many places to stay in OC also staying close to the coast would be warmer if boondocking. Sorry I just saw you thread!
Ahhh... Wish I'd seen this sooner! My parents are driving a car down 95 to FL. I'll let them know. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #45

Quote:
4tfamily said:

Anyway, don't you know the crazy trips end up being the most memorable?
You know...I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right!

Stay warm...and call the Alton RV park! Get hooked up to their 50-amp and get those batteries topped up.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #46

You may want to skip GA and just shoot down into FL. I was kinda bummed to see that it the high here tomorrow will only be about 52 degrees....

I will second that learning more about your coach before the trip would have been a good idea without trying to sound scolding too much. You can cause some expensive damage by not understanding things like winterization. You may already have....
Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
To answer a few other questions. We own a 2008 fleetwood excursion 40 x. We have 4 aux batteries. All 6 we just replaced to the tune of $1300.00. Ran the generator and had them charging for at least 3 hours after we stopped for the night. Fridge was on lp. Furnace was on lp. So we thought we'd be good. Hopefully it was just the extreme temps keeping the fans on all night. I do actually have the automatic generator but forgot to set it up!! Oops!
Cripes! 4 house batteries should have been plenty to run all night. I'm assuming by how much you paid that they are quality batteries.

I would have to think that either the alternator is not charging the house bank for some reason or something else was draining the heck out of the batteries at night.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #48

If you can't find a CG try a motel, I paid one a few bucks to use there power or just rent a room!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #49

The Atlanta Fcst does not look good for tomorrow. But you said you turned on the pump and pink stuff came out of the taps and then stopped. Hmmm - do you mean you put antifreeze in your fresh water tank? Eeek - takes a while to get that out.

If you have heated tanks and a wet bay heater, you should not need to winterize while you are living in your RV. I travelled in my Monaco at -25C and all was fine, but I had a winter package.

I suspect you might have heated tanks and this would explain why 4 coach batteries would be run down in a few hours. You should be fine with auto start on the gen even if you do not get to a campsite.

But expect to run into nasty stuff on I75 south tomorrow in GA.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
You may want to skip GA and just shoot down into FL. I was kinda bummed to see that it the high here tomorrow will only be about 52 degrees.... I will second that learning more about your coach before the trip would have been a good idea without trying to sound scolding too much. You can cause some expensive damage by not understanding things like winterization. You may already have....
So far, 90% of our trips over the years have been to leave Mass. In the winter, so winterization is not new to us. But to be sure, we double checked with the people who winterized it for us. We told them our intentions; they filled our fresh water tank for us, saying to just turn on the pump and run the water til the pink runs out. Last January when we bought this unwinterized coach In TX and brought it back to Mass. (Filled with water)we kept the heaters on at night and had no problems. I appreciate the suggestions to read the manuals, but tell me what I will learn about that is different from what I have experienced or have been told by the rv tech. I hope that doesn't sound facetious. It's sincere. I'm just confused from different advice.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #51

Quote:
So far, 90% of our trips over the years have been to leave Mass. In the winter, so winterization is not new to us. But to be sure, we double checked with the people who winterized it for us. We told them our intentions; they filled our fresh water tank for us, saying to just turn on the pump and run the water til the pink runs out. Last January when we bought this unwinterized coach In TX and brought it back to Mass. (Filled with water)we kept the heaters on at night and had no problems. I appreciate the suggestions to read the manuals, but tell me what I will learn about that is different from what I have experienced or have been told by the rv tech. I hope that doesn't sound facetious. It's sincere. I'm just confused from different advice.
Well, one would be to not have water in the fresh tank and maybe even pump if you will be at single digits and below! You didn't mention that you had someone winterize for you. They may have assumed that your furnace would be on heating the fresh water tank the whole time. Who knows?

The normal procedure is to keep the fresh tank and lines to the pump empty and just use water in jugs while traveling. That is of course if you don't have bay heaters.

Does your coach have an antifreeze syphon hookup before the water pump? It sounds like the tech maybe did winterize the pump from what you said about the pink antifreeze running for a little bit. The lines from the fresh tank to the pump would be my primary concern. They may have frozen. The fresh water tank itself takes a long time to freeze up since it is so big and unless it was completely full, there is room for expansion.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
I would be very concerned about continuing into ICE country...

Snow and cold are a challenge, but last time this hit DFW and across the south there were DAYS of no movement around the city - trade snow for ice any day !

it's probably too late, but I would suggest draining and blowing out the complete water system and use bottled water for everything...
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Sounds right re the water, there was just antifreeze in the pipes, this would be normal to run the pump until the pink stuff stopsl Cool - looks like you are covered and got sound advice from the RV tech.

Sounds like you have sufficient heat protection because you would have frozen systems by now based on the overnight temps you just went through. Just set your gen to auto start and you are likely good.

If you are going by Columbus OH, a good extention to that route a trip to the Air Force Museum in Dayton would be a good diversion. It is a super place IMHO.

Have a good trip.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've read this thread with some trepidation. Frankly, you don't seem to grasp just how close you are to being in a very serious situation.

Forget Georgia and any other plans you may have had for the next several days. The SE US will be a chaotic zoo for several days. Forget heading south, or trying to drive to the coast just because it appears that the coast is currently outside the rain/snow line. The rain/snow line can shift dramatically in a matter of a few hours in coastal storms-- as you should already know if you're from coastal Mass, as I am.

You have a family to secure. You're dealing with an extremely powerful winter storm that will dump a foot or more of snow in its path and take no prisoners, and you're in a motorhome that is clearly not prepared for the trip and appears to be malfunctioning. Your only job right now is to head far enough west/northwest to be beyond the danger area of this storm (Columbus would be good, at a minimum Pittsburgh). Get your coach fueled and plugged in, if possible, but most importantly be prepared to move your family to a hotel if you even suspect your coach can't keep up with the weather. Everything about the coach can be replaced. Your priority now is your family.

Good Luck!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
JFXG has it right. You are putting your rig as well as your family in a touchy situation. An RV is not made for roads like you are headed into. Heck, get a hotel with room service and relax a couple of days.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Does your coach have an antifreeze syphon hookup before the water pump? It sounds like the tech maybe did winterize the pump from what you said about the pink antifreeze running for a little bit. The lines from the fresh tank to the pump would be my primary concern. They may have frozen. The fresh water tank itself takes a long time to freeze up since it is so big and unless it was completely full, there is room for expansion.
Could it be possible that whoever winterized it, left the input from tank, closed (acting as if it froze) and that might explain the antifreeze and then nothing?
Did I miss a post from OP, that water has been restored?