Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great to hear that you made it to a better situation. Keep an eye on the weather and hope your water issues get resolved. Enjoy the rest of your adventures. Hopefully it will warm up a bit for us in central FL soon as well. Sure has been one heck of a winter everywhere.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #86

Glad you are safe and made it out of the snow. Just finished shoveling a foot of snow in New York with 3-6 more inches to come. I was in Florida for the Tampa rv supershow and not happy to be back in the cold weather. Lol Enjoy!!!!!
Debbie

Old 02-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #87

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks so much for the update. Glad to hear you are ok to go on. Enjoy your travels!
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #88

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Once you get to Florida all will be forgotten.

With all the news about VA., PA., SC. / DC. in a state of grid-lock I'm glad you took the long way around and are safe. Who knows what areas would have lost power, and ice and snow on the roadways just don't mix for RV's.

Many web & dash-cams in those areas show freeways with packed slush and many semi's in the ditch.

You made the smart move.

Did you see other RVer in your travels heading west / southwest?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #89

Entegra Owners Club
Glad to hear you took the clear route and got out of there...smart move. Atlanta is due to freeze again tonight, but should be clear by the time you arrive. Travel safe and thanks for the update.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #90

Glad to hear you were able to go west around the storm. I live off I81 in Northern Va where we got 18" last night and today. I81 corridor was hit the worst with this storm. Main roads are clear but secondary's are still snowed in. You would not have wanted to drive through that mess.

Enjoy the rest of your trip,
Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #91

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
We're sitting in a Sam's Club parking lot in Wilkes-Barre PA and overnight our heat went off. We had it set on lp the generator was not running. Seems as though the batterie drained because the genny wouldn't start until we started the engine. We are professed newbies so hoping it's something we're doing wrong and not something wrong with the coach. Once we started the genny the heat in the bedroom is working but we're getting nothing up front. By the way, the overnight low was -4 degrees. It's warmed up to 0 now. What should we be doing for boondocking in frigid weather? Thanks!!!! ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️
As others have or will agree, you're going out on a limb with trusting your batteries all night long with the furnace fan sucking up the amps big time, so you might want to look into something different for this. I still have a propane wall heater that I removed from a previous old coach that came from the Pacific NW, but not so sure something like that will not produce harmful fumes. One could leave a vent open I guess and would have to research further to be sure.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #92

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
As others have or will agree, you're going out on a limb with trusting your batteries all night long with the furnace fan sucking up the amps big time, so you might want to look into something different for this. I still have a propane wall heater that I removed from a previous old coach that came from the Pacific NW, but not so sure something like that will not produce harmful fumes. One could leave a vent open I guess and would have to research further to be sure.
Actually the OP mentioned that he had auto start for his generator but had not set it up yet. I am sure that he has set that up by now. If he had realized it was not set up and had auto start working when the 12 vdc batteries discharged then the gen would have started and they would not have had the problem.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
As others have or will agree, you're going out on a limb with trusting your batteries all night long with the furnace fan sucking up the amps big time...
I don't see it as being out on a limb at all. We have run our furnaces (BOTH of them) all night on just the batteries many times. All that's running are a couple of small DC motors running the blowers. The amp draw of those two motors is not that great. They should not draw down the batteries overnight provided everything else is shut off.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #94

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You lose a large amount of your battery capacity at those temps so not surprised at them going out. Big issue with them being drained is that they themselves will freeze. I once drove an MCI7 (Trailways bus) with a load of church kids and had to take the batteries out at night to keep them from freezing and have enough amperage to start that big diesel (still have a sore back from that deal - those are probably 250 to 300lb batteries each!
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #95

In sub zero temps the furnace duty cycle would be almost continious (on), without having other electric heating, and if there are other devices for keeping water from freezing such as tank pads and wet bay heaters, well I would expect even 4 batteries to run down overnight in that scenario. I currently have an auto start but I did not have it on one of my Monaco DPs so many times I had to keep the Gen on all night so I could heat the tanks and wet bay when I was not connected to shore power. We have winter camped many times and have plowed our way through some deep snow at times. We loved to go on cross country skiing and snowmobiling outings with our RV. Winter camping can be great, but one has to be cold weather savvy and equipped for the environment.

The OP noted they forgot to put the gen auto start on and this was likely the main reason for encountering problems as another person posted. It was also evident that the alternator was charging the house batteries because when the engine ran for a while, they were able to start the gen. A good lesson learned
Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 AM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Awww. Thank you all for your concern. It was an easy choice for us to go west rather than hunker down and let the storm pass. .......
Good. Glad it worked out for you.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #97

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
But you missed an epic snow storm here on the East and all the fun associated with it like shoveling, snow blowing, more shoveling and more shoveling! Then you got to wake up to even more snow and yes... the shoveling!!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #98

Don't forget to add this mornings black ice that is shutting down many roads in the Northern VA / DC / MD areas this morning!

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote