Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #99

Safe and sound in GA! But we're still battling battery/heat problems. How can our house batteries be draining when we're plugged into 50amp?! Even with generator on I'm watching the house battery voltage dropping by the second. We had to start the engine to keep the batteries from draining any further. Technician is coming out this afternoon but since this will be our first day not moving (hence engine running) are we going to have to sit here with the engine running til he comes?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #100

If your batteries are not charging while plugged in, it sounds like your charger is not functioning properly. While plugged in to 50 amp there should be no problem keeping the house batteries up. Do the batteries also drain while the generator is running? Hopefully the tech can find and resolve the problem quickly for you.

Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #101

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Safe and sound in GA! But we're still battling battery/heat problems. How can our house batteries be draining when we're plugged into 50amp?! Even with generator on I'm watching the house battery voltage dropping by the second. We had to start the engine to keep the batteries from draining any further. Technician is coming out this afternoon but since this will be our first day not moving (hence engine running) are we going to have to sit here with the engine running til he comes?
Most likely a simple problem with your converter/charger or inverter/charger, breaker tripped maybe, but whatever, I wouldn't be depending on those batteries or genset autostart. Besides do you or others near you, want the genset starting up at all hours of the night? Will batteries always last as some claim, no matter what you've been using them for all day and up until bedtime?
Again, look into a safe gas type radiant heater and for a backup, if nothing else.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #102

Quote:
Oh, that is odd. It sounds like the converter is dead or not getting power. Look in your 120v breaker box for any tripped breakers or off breakers. If you know where your power converter is, make sure it is still plugged in. Otherwise, the tech should be able to sort that out pretty quickly.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #103

Entegra Owners Club
Not knowing what model inverter/charger you have, but on most of the inverter/charges there is a push button circuit breaker on the front of the inverter. If the inverter was working overtime that breaker may have tripped. Push it in and see.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #104

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Could be a faulty transfer switch seeing as both shore power and gen power go through the transfer switch before the 120 gets to your converter.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #105
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same problem 1st time out in our MH. Batteries would only charge when the engine was running. Turned out that the inverter/charger went bad. I carry a 100 amp battery charger now as another part of my onboard tool set.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #106

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Could be a faulty transfer switch seeing as both shore power and gen power go through the transfer switch before the 120 gets to your converter.
X2!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #107

As someone said. Check the Breakers but include checking ALL connections and switches that might engage the inverter/charger. I presume you have 120Vac in the coach with shore power on, is this correct?

If you have a voltmeter I suggest checking voltage in and out of the charger. 120Vac in and about 13.5-14Vdc out. It sounds like you are not getting that output right now but have not traced the reason for this. These units do have switches and breakers on them plus there is likely a breaker at the AC panel. I would do those checks with the engine off so you do not misread the alternater voltage as being your charger output voltage.

Getting electric 120Vac heaters or a supplemental gas backup heater is a good idea in any case. (Usually need to ventalate gas heaters)

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #108

First make sure you are getting proper indications at your Inteletek Energy Management display (50 amp service on shore power).
Your operators manual says you have a 2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter and a 120AC/12VDC Converter. Typically they bundle this in to a Inverter/Charger but they may not have in a 2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40X. Though with that high end model RV I would have thought they would. Check your inverter manual (mfg & model?) and see if they talk to charger setup. Being a Fleetwood product, I believe you should have a battery control center (BCC) up under the front hood. You may have a blown fuse in the BCC. Like others said, make sure your Coach battery Disconnect switch is ON.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #109

I can relate to this storm dumped 2 inches of ice and shut us down in Louisiana and ended up heading north to Little Rock on two lane roads. One thing I can say is snow might come off the top of your slider topper but not ice. Thanks to my son he removed the ice and we could retract our slides.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #110

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Give us an update after the tech hopefully fixes the problem. Converter/charger are known to malfunction even on new units. At least your around the big winter storm.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #111

Mid Atlantic Campers
Lucky you got past PA turnpike when you did. There was a approx. 100 car, truck pile up on the TP this morning between NE extension and Jersey. five miles of accidents!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #112

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ya I hate the PA Pike...too hilly and narrow. When the OP said they missed I-80 and were thinking about doing the PA. Turnpike I was hoping they stayed ahead of the snow...I'm so glad they made it to Columbus and Cinci. I just can't imagine traveling in a RV in snow & ice on that road. That was why I thought the best plan was to go west not south.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote