Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Brustor Awnings Safety, Parts

The Brustor window awnings on our Patriot Thunder are a wonderful amenity.

Running our monthly maintenance check in the driveway in front of its storage bay, the afternoon sun started pouring into the driver's side windows, and I motored down the long awning on our full-wall slideout.

Well, there was a <clunk> and the roller was suddenly resting on the arm assembly.

'Turns out, the non-motorized end of the roller is held up by a plastic retainer assembly. We all know that rubber and plastic parts weaken with time; this is the heaviest-loaded of all the awnings, at about ten feet in length, and was the first to go at seven years' age.

I fashioned epoxy putty around the re-assembled pieces, then shaped the repair and drilled the safety pin hole after hardening. It seems the new fixture is several times the strength of the original. But, eventually, I'd like to replace the part and have spares for the other awnings (now added to our monthly safety check).

Here's the problem: Brustor doesn't seem to be in the customer service business. I went to their site -- they make a disparate assortment of products -- and sent an email. It bounced.

Does anyone have a viable parts and information source for the Burstors?

Here is a link to images of the failure, my repair.

Awning Checks
  1. Extend all awnings
  2. Check, clean canopies
  3. Remove cover screw at non-motor end, check retainer for fatigue failure
  4. Dab silicone on screw hole, replace cover screw
  5. Check remaining cover screw for tightness
  6. Retract awning
  7. Check for security
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Epoxy Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post

I fashioned epoxy putty around the re-assembled pieces, then shaped the repair and drilled the safety pin hole after hardening. It seems the new fixture is several times the strength of the original. But, eventually, I'd like to replace the part and have spares for the other awnings (now added to our monthly safety check).
The epoxy ultimately failed after several trips, and I discovered that a standard floor flange from the home store plumbing department lines up perfectly with the end-cap holes. Drilling out a brass plug to the diameter of the capstan works well for those with basic shop-skills. For longer awnings, this is a safety mod that prevents failure of the under-engineered plastic saddle installed by Brustor. While the plastic is suitable for short awnings, it is not appropriate for larger applications.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #3

I found out " Brustor " is the same exact product as Girard !! You can get all your replacement parts on line through Girardawnings.com ...... way cool They now make this plastic part that breaks /- Is Now Metal ! ! I ordered extra' s for my other awnings
manninkj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety