Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Bryan Freightliner - Bryan, TX

Beware of Bryan Freightliner, Bryan, TX; a member of the Lonestar Truck Group.

I am in central Texas and needed the annual maintenance done on my 2004Dutch Star, which is on a Freightliner chassis. This was supposed to be the M3 maintenance, except for any transmission service. I don’t think Freightliner service centers, except maybe for the one in Gaffney, have any idea what M3 maintenance means.

I am in the area doing volunteer work. On the weekends I’ve been driving to Bryan for groceries. (Went to see the George Bush Presidential Library, which was a great experience.) I saw Bryan Freightliner and thought that would be a good place to have the service work done. I called and asked if they wanted to bother working on an RV, they said yes. I stopped there on a Saturday morning to talk to them about what I wanted done. I took a copy of Freightliners M3 maintenance recommendations. I went over it with the man at the service department. He said a “wet PM” would cover most of what I needed. He went through the table and highlighted the things that they were to do. I told him that I had problems with service people overfilling the crankcase with oil. I also mentioned that CAT engine I have has only one fuel filter and that it is a small micron filter. I told him to make sure I got the right filter. In addition to the above I needed the chrome tailpipe extension replaced. (I can’t imagine why it rusted out, but it did.)

I told him I was in no hurry. He said they could get me in Monday. On Monday morning I packed up and made the half hour drive (which included 7 miles of bumpy, DUSTY, gravel road) to Bryan Freightliner. I arrived slightly before 8 AM. The highlighted M3 list was attached to the request for service.

I went back to pick it up after getting off “work” that Monday afternoon. They had not planned on changing the tail pipe. I asked them to order one and I stayed overnight in their parking lot, rather than drive back and forth to the camp. I checked with them Tuesday morning and they told me the tail pipe should arrive by 10:30 and that it would be ready after lunch. After “work” at the camp on Tuesday I went to pick it up. They had not started. While I waited they took the old extension off and realized they had ordered the wrong size pipe. Again, Tuesday night, I stayed overnight in the parking lot.

When I went back Wednesday afternoon the tail pipe had been installed. They gave me a copy of the invoice and on my way to the cashier I noted that there was nothing on the invoice about an air desiccant kit. (On Saturday the service guy had told me that this was something that I definitely needed to have done.) I paid and went back to the service department. They checked and found out that they had not done anything with the air system. They told me if I waited an hour they would install the kit. I told them to do it. After maybe a half hour I was told that they didn’t have a kit in stock. It was back to the overnight parking lot for Wednesday night.

Also, during the above discussions I noted that they fuel filter they had installed was not the one I normally use, it was a different Freightliner part. They checked with parts and told me that it was even better than what I needed.

While sitting in the parking lot Wednesday evening I looked at the invoice more. I noted that they had charged me for 7 gallons of oil. I had checked the oil Tuesday morning, to make sure it had not been overfilled. The level was OK.

I called Freightliner and gave them the part number of the fuel filter that had been installed. After doing research on the filter the tech person could find nothing that listed the micron rating of the filter that had been installed. She even did research after we were off the phone and called me back to tell me her research was unsuccessful. She said Freightliner’s “Parts Pro”(?) still listed the filter that I was familiar with. She told me to go to the parts department in the morning and tell them I either wanted to see the specs on the micron rating of the filter they had installed, or I wanted the filter replaced. She told me to tell them to call Freightliner if I had any problems.

Thursday morning I first hit the service department and questioned the 7 gallons of oil, for my 22 quart system. They told me they would check. I then told them I was headed to the parts department because I still did not believe the fuel filter was correct. They told me that parts had already admitted it was the wrong filter and that they would replace it with the correct one.

After “work” I made another trip to pick it up and lo and behold, it was done.

If you need work done in the Bryan, College Station area use Bryan Freightliner at your own risk. My wallet is now $994.05 lighter (I also bought one of the front Freightliner hub caps that I had lost) and I am comforyable with the quality of the service.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #2

wow oil and filter and fuel filter,tail pipe and Air condesant replace was 994.00$
you must have like 150K miles on your unit if u did The air brake filter already?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
So after telling us to 'beware' of the company, and 'use at your own risk' you end with saying 'I am comforyable(SIC) with the quality of the service.' Which is it?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
So after telling us to 'beware' of the company, and 'use at your own risk' you end with saying 'I am comforyable(SIC) with the quality of the service.' Which is it?
one will assume spelling error and he meant "not comfortable"
Old 12-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Again and again

I'm so glad I DON'T have a diesel... for $999 I could get my maintenance work done for a lifetime on my V10!!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I'm so glad I DON'T have a diesel... for $999 I could get my maintenance work done for a lifetime on my V10!!
not really true at all but if you ever owned a 40ft newer diesel pusher you would certainly understand why one is willing to have slightly higher maintainence costs though as the quality of ride,build,handling,interior sound(noise) while driving,basement storage,power etc etc is second to none compared to ANY 32 gasser

you have to realize a tail pipe replacement is not yearly maintainece nor is a Airbrake incondesant filter./Both those are after many many miles and years of use
Old 12-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use Freightliner Houston, and my annual check-up is the same price, or higher if tranny service is needed. It has been arou $1k, or more, for the last 4 years.

I'm sure happy that Freightliner/Cummins went to the 15,000 mile or 1 year, which ever comes first, schedule. Cummins used to be every 6 months. or 6000 miles.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You should post your review on www.rvservicereviews.com
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BertD, you are lucky, lucky, lucky. I used Bryan FL three years ago and by the grace of God, I was only 15 miles from Gafney when the Bryan repair gave up completely and Gafney first sent a tech from the service center then a tow truck. It was such a poor Brayn repair that Gafney offered me the opportunity to attend Camp Freightliner and receive a M-3 service at no charge my next trip through. The following year I took advantage of their kind offer. I would not allow Bryan Freightliner to check the air in my bicycle tires. Of course this was only my experience, yours may be much different.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I use Freightliner Houston, and my annual check-up is the same price, or higher if tranny service is needed. It has been arou $1k, or more, for the last 4 years.

I'm sure happy that Freightliner/Cummins went to the 15,000 mile or 1 year, which ever comes first, schedule. Cummins used to be every 6 months. or 6000 miles.
the once a year thing is suspect at best.Cummins says u can go 20000 miles on oil and filter in ISL and 400000K plus on 295 allison trans oil
Factoryu air brake filters probabley outlast the MH.Fuel are good for 15-20 K miles under normal circumstances.There is Absolutely no sane reason to be spending $1000+ per year on the service of your cummins/allison
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut
the once a year thing is suspect at best.Cummins says u can go 20000 miles on oil and filter in ISL and 400000K plus on 295 allison trans oil
Factoryu air brake filters probabley outlast the MH.Fuel are good for 15-20 K miles under normal circumstances.There is Absolutely no sane reason to be spending $1000+ per year on the service of your cummins/allison
Sane reason number 1. Want to and can. 2. Sleep better at night. 3. Emotional attachment to all my family members and MH is one of them. 4. I have an annual physical too.

Could it be done less? Sure. It could never be done and just go to other end of spectrum. Only go to the doctor via emergency room. Only go to Freightliner via tow truck. To each his own and your mileage may vary - but what's sane / insane is best left to the professionals.

Just my opinion.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #12

Sorry for the missed word. As noted below a "not" should be inserted before comfortable.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #13

I will post my experience on the rvservicereviews web site. I did fill out an evaluation form on the Lone Star Truck Group web site. It will be interesting to see if the bother responding.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can also submit a customer survey to Freightliner. I hope the link works.
http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...0830000000.pdf

Tags
freightliner