Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Buffing Tools for Aluminum Wheels

I want to make my wheels shine! I see there are lots of choices. I am considering a drill powered 4" gobbet and brown tripoli to follow with pink jewelers rouge.

Tell me what works for you. Please show pictures!!

TIA!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I want to make my wheels shine! I see there are lots of choices. I am considering a drill powered 4" gobbet and brown tripoli to follow with pink jewelers rouge.

Tell me what works for you. Please show pictures!!

TIA!
Me too!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #3

first, make sure the wheels aren't clear anodized, because taking that coating off will make you a slave to polishing forever!

I have some REAL mag wheels on my race car, and they are truly beautiful when polished, but for a 13 X 8, with a normal amount of winter "haze" to be removed, I can figure on at least an hour and a half per wheel.

I start with turtle wax red rubbing compound on a canvas wheel to strip off the hard stuff, follow with the white compound, then go to rouge. That gets them ready for final hand polish, where I use mother's mag polish, followed by flitz or blue magic, followed by a light coat of carnuba, which actually dulls the shine a bit but makes it last considerably longer overall.

To do the edges and insides of the spokes, I use a cone shaped hard felt buffer, but really have to watch the speed, as too much will make it come apart in an instant.

Can't imagine doing this on an RV. Hours of work, bushels of rags, and a couple of hours of tool cleanup afterwards!
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #4

There was a great thread a short while ago. A little search should find or someone will link it.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I remember it. The fellow polished his aluminum wheels shiny as chrome.
I thought it was Mods thread.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I use the products and techniques that are provided by Auto Geek, Wheels & Tires Detailing Guide, learn how to safely clean all wheels and protect rubber tires, Tire cleaner, wheel cleaner, wheel brush, tire brush, and How to Polish Metal using Wolfgang Metal Polishes, Wenol chrome and aluminum polish, Flitz Metal Polish, how to polish diamond plating, how to polish for my classic cars and motorhome.

Auto Geek sells some great products and also has many how-tos that they publish for the car enthusiast but those same how-tos apply to a motorhome since they are painted with the same types of paints and wheels! Look at the bottom of this page and you will find lots of how-tos. Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

Here you will find info and videos that you can download Download free detailing handbook guides, how-to videos, free wallpapers, and free screensavers!

I do not have any monetary interest in Auto Geek, I am just one of their customers that enjoy their products and tutorials!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Flitz and a powerball works for me.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #8

some truck repair places have the supplies to polish wheels, i had my ujoints replaced at a truck repair between austin and san marcos tx. and they had everything you needed to polish your wheels.
good luck;
jim d
jldacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It all depends on how shiny you want them and how much work you are willing to do. I know some folks who actually remove the motorhome wheels to polish them . I like my wheels to look good but I have sought and found a process that let's me enjoy my rig and not be a slave to it.

I use Wicked metal polish. You can get it at Flying J and other truck stops. It seems to clean better than other polish I've used. I am sure there are many others that work as well but I have settled on Wicked.

I use two Mother's Power Balls with a cordless drill. I use the smaller Power Ball to get into the holes on the wheels and between the lug nuts. I used the larger ball for the rest of the wheel. Basically put the polish on with the Power Ball/s and buff it off with cloth. I use two cloths...one to take off the black residue and a second to give the wheels a real shine.

It takes me about 15 minutes per wheel and they look pretty good. I do it about 3 - 4 times per year.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #10

If you check around truck washes there usually are polishers in the area you can get the rims high speed polished for around 10to 20 a wheel. McCarthy tire in Charlotte NC has a wheel polishing machine they put your wheel in and it cuts and buffs it like a mirror Cost is around 50. a wheel.
Check here and do a location search maby one in your area
Titan Wheel Polisher
I have done mine on my Peterbilt and it's messy time consuming job I pay to have them done myself. Also look in local yellow pages for metal polish shops. Call the heavy truck dealers and find out where they get their used trucks detailed, those guys polish wheels and tanks etc everyday.Youd be surprised you might get the whole RV detailed top to bottom for a real affordable price.Just some ideas.
stumpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great information. DW and I are on a long trip to Stowe VT and I want to polish them once back to S/B in FL.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #12

Here it is

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/i-po...ok-155687.html
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #13

Just gotta say...once you do it, the work never ends! Unless you never go anywhere.

I rinse mine with a hose about twice a year. Truck spray then covers them very soon with a protective patina.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
That was the thread!