Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bug bomb?

We are getting ready to put the MH in storage near the Sarasota airport until March. I have killed a couple of giant palmetto bugs and have seen those tiny, tiny ants in several locations. So small you can't see them unless they crawl across your computer screen or something white or swarm in the bathroom sink. My wife suggested just setting off a bug bomb as we close the door for 3 months. Any downside to that?

As I am typing this she screams almost in my ear, spotting a big palmetto bug a foot behind me as the opened the pantry door. Easy to catch and kill. That is two in three days.

Gotta do something.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #2

Set many bug bombs off to get rid of stink bugs! Never had any bad side effects from them( bug bombs) I would do it.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #3

We use bug bombs with ours to get rid of stink bugs. Works fine. The only precaution we take is to shut off propane so no chance of a spark ignite the spray. Very unlikely but just in case.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The only problem with bug bombs is the mess you have to clean up afterwards. I suggest that you use the same spray you would use in stick home. It works well for me. I get it from Home Depot and spray all around the base boards. I also put peppermint oil around inside. I also spray inside all the bays. Then I put Comet around the tires and jacks & along the power cord since I keep it powered during storage. Haven't had any bug or mice problem in 5 years.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #5

Here is a fumigator that I use to kill stink bugs. It leaves no mess or residue other than dead bugs. Says it will kill everything you are having a problem with.

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...80-c-14245.htm
Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Here is a fumigator that I use to kill stink bugs. It leaves no mess or residue other than dead bugs. Says it will kill everything you are having a problem with.

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...80-c-14245.htm
I like that, I will stop by HD to see if they have it, no Menard's close by.
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Those Raid bug bombs are available everywhere. I have used them for years in several RVs. Disable any smoke CO2 alarms and remove any edible food. I usually set them inside a bucket. No mess. Two would be plenty unless you wanted a third for basement. Don't open RV until next day.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We use Pest Strips in our boat storage unit and have good results so if you store Inside that would be an option. Google Pest Strips. Nothing like a spider in your Cuddy to make life miserable. There are warnings about DDVP vapor dangers, but strong recommendation for thorough ventilation of the fumes, don't touch the strip with bare hands, etc. We do not put the thing in the cabin just in the storage unit(garage). If you are in a communal unit this will probably not work. We have zero bugs except a few dead ones that get in around he storage unit door. The bug bombs sure get rid of anything live but no preventive there. For longer term prevention try some of the products for spraying around the home that kill on contact. If it keeps bugs out of your house should do same for the MH?
Old 12-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
On my boat, MH and both home in NJ and FL use Home Defense. No spiders, ants, or any other thing that crawl. does not stain and pleased with the six months of protection.

open all your cabinets pull the drawers then spray with Home defense and leave at least two bombs behind just before closing the door for the season. HD will protect for the long hall and the bomb will get places you don't spray.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #10

Not sure if you looked into Mouse Free. It also works for ants or any crawling bug for that matter. Won't get rid of those onboard, but will keep others out.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have that problem here Bombed the RV twice in the last month, First time with one RAID bomb, 2nd time with 2, still have bugs.

Last successful bombing was a few years ago ORTHO, will look for ORTHO Saturday, think I know where I can find it.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #12

We had a long storage period and discovered our first night out that we had piss ants and palmetto bugs, bad. Set off a couple of Raid bombs and sprayed some raid in the closets and cabinets and any other locations we could access. Seems to have worked almost immediately. I used some sticky traps in out of the way places and haven't caught a single bug. Just traded in the unit today so hopefully new owner will not have similar issues.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The local at the storage facility said the tiny ants we had were called sugar ants. I ended up setting off one Raid bomb. We will see how well it worked when I return in March.