Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
bug bombs, spray or what in my class A motorhome

I have been parked in a campground...very wooded and got very very buggy. I have been away and i know the basement of my class A motorhome has some spiders etc. and of course i would like to make sure the interior is also free of all insects. i read some of the bombs that spray and they say must turn off propane.. If a bug bomb is the best to put one in the basement and one or two in the interior will do the job.
Would i be correct in thinking that to turn off the propane ( if the bomb fogger is the way to go ) i flip the switch on the front panel, and turn off the the large tank in one of the basement compartments. Then a couple of hours after the bug bombs did their thing, i need to air out and then tunr the propane back on. Is there anything special to do when turning it back on other than fliping the switch on the front panel and turn on the big tank? do i need to ignite anything? comments...suggestions...greatly appreciated....Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure about the bug bomb, we are at Huntington Beach in SC and have an ant problem. They are in the tode, MH and even in this computer I'm on!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The issue with the bug bombs is that they use a propellant gas that is itself explosive; its when you light the appliances AFTERWARD that the danger is the greatest.

Make sure you ventilate everything VERY well before relighting.

I think the Terro liquid ant baits work the best; that and sprinkling a line of either diatomaceous earth or Comet cleanser around points of the RV that touch the ground (tires, cords, etc)

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Not sure about the bug bomb, we are at Huntington Beach in SC and have an ant problem. They are in the tode, MH and even in this computer I'm on!
Same deal and we bombed ours last week. I guess there is a nest in the basement.

Turn off the propane before you bomb. Bomb and wait 3 -4 hours or more and then air it out and you will be fine.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Second the turn off everything (I even hit the battery disconnect) before bombing and vent well after. The bug spray is not good for you either.

But just follow the instrucitons.. I think I used 2 cans in my 38'er.

Long story.. Rescued a dog.. fleas and all, turned the dog over to the Humane Society who turned it over to the family of the deceased owner. (Story there, involving police even if it was accidental, hit and run type) Fleas remained.. Cats transfered to Motor home... 2 cans of bug spray later no more fleas (Cats were also flea dipped and the hosue bombed at the same time, took more for the house)
Old 07-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #6

Turning off the propane is good, but not the issue in your case. Turn off all electrical at the master switchs (12 and 110 volt) and the outside pole. The hazard is not propane its spark or flame that could ignite the bug bomb vapor. Kill the power, set off the bug bomb(s), go do a little shopping, have some lunch, maybe see a flicker show and then go back to the rig. After airing it out, clean up the residue, and turn everything back on. Have a nice bug free night
Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
One thing that works for ants, is to sprinkle some corn meal around where you see them. The ants will eat it and take some back to their nest. But..., they cannot digest it and they will die.
For spiders, only thing I have found that works is a direct spray on it, on smash it. I have a few under the MH but I never see them, just their darn webs each day. I am not sure how to bomb them. Any ideas?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #8

Put baking soda around anything that touches the ground ie tires, jacks, chords, hoses.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just returned from Calhoun Falls S.C. and were over run with ants. Forgot to spray the Ortho around the outside of the MH. Ants had a freeway up the power cord. Used 3 bombs on the inside and 1 in the basement. Vented the next day and thoroughly cleaned MH. Put out Torro baits, no more ants.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Long story.. Rescued a dog.. fleas and all, turned the dog over to the Humane Society who turned it over to the family of the deceased owner. (Story there, involving police even if it was accidental, hit and run type) Fleas remained.. Cats transfered to Motor home... 2 cans of bug spray later no more fleas (Cats were also flea dipped and the hosue bombed at the same time, took more for the house)
Geez! No good deed goes unpunished... Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome