Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #1

Bug Screen

We have been looking for someone to make a "bug screen" to just cover the grille opening on our (gas) motor home. The snap on and snap off kind. I've contacted several suppliers, but it seems they want to just sell us a complete front end bra, which is not what we want. It is something we would just use during our "Love Bug" season. We would really appreciate it is anyone out there knows of a business that will do this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #2

Not sure where you are located or what you have in mind for a design for you bug screen but I would think that anyhow who can make you a windshield sun shade cover can make you a snap on type bug screen. You might try someone who does boat canvas.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made a bug screen out of alum screen material at the hardware store (Ace) wired it in front of the Air condition evaparator/ radiator. Cost Approx 2 bucks.

It has a 4 to 6 inch in front of the Rad and 1foot of space behind the grill.

Flordia to Alaska tested, we hit bugs bugs and bugs. The front paint has the 3M shield on it with many coats of wax. The screen was packed full when we hit TOK. I hosed it off and was good too go, no overheating!!

I did a daily wash of my windshield and front end. I used RainX on the windshield and that helps getting the bug gu off.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Go to any shop that does boat upholstery . A few years ago I had them make me a full bra made out of a black mesh material.. works great !!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Note that it doesn't take much of a screen to severely limit the air flow to the engine.
Many motor homes have barely enough air flow as it is and you could see some high temps when climbing grades.
Spark plug wire heat damage is something to consider.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What dav-cle AND Clay L said.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Note that it doesn't take much of a screen to severely limit the air flow to the engine.
Many motor homes have barely enough air flow as it is and you could see some high temps when climbing grades.
Spark plug wire heat damage is something to consider.
That was a concern at first but after seeing the product they were using i felt comfortable with it. 65K mi. later still no problem..
Old 12-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #8

After a lot of searching, calling around to different shops and suppliers we finally found someone that would custom make a bug screen for the front of our motor home. On line it is bugscreenman.com. Now I am not saying he is the only one out there, he is just the only one we could find willing to make one as a custom fit. We carefully measured our grill opening, made a drawing and e-mailed it to him. He suggested we go a with 2" overlap and he also provided the necessary hardware for the install (snaps). We received the screen within just a few days after ordering, and it appears to be very well made. It has been installed and fits nicely. We would recommend him highly to anyone interested.
For those that don't like a bug screen, come to south Florida during love-bug season. They will plug a radiator. We have no intention on leaving the screen on full time. And of course we will watch the temperature gauge for over heating just in case.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought my motor home, the first year I made my own bug screen. I went to Lowe's and bought some heavy duty screen cloth. I took my front hood completely off and made some metal clamps and epoxy them on the inside of the hood.

After they dried, I screwed the cloth to the metal clamps beyond the opening so that one could not see the clamps unless the hood was open. It stays on all the time, and I have been through Tennessee and have not seen any over heating as of yet.

I have a Scanguage and watch the tran and engine temp, and so far no problem. My radiators are always clean. When I wash the coach, that is one of my steps washing the front screens. Works for me. I figured having a little more temp all the time from less air movement vs. having it clog up with bugs and trash. If that happens, it will get really hot and cost big bucks for repairs in removing the radiators to clean between them.

MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote