Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I believe the expensive wipes the harley Davison sells to clean the bugs from our bikes is a similar...alchohol on an easy wipes type of material (but doesn't have the isopropyl smell...maybe mineral spirits. In any event there is a commercial product out there in a "wipes" solution.

Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
Cleaning after you have gotten there is good, but I always put a
good coat of spray wax, cheap stuff, on before I leave. Washes
right off.

Mark, Loretta and a cat named Baby
2008 Dodge Ram 3500
2007 Sandpiper 355RLT
CHRYRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
for the lazy man...spray detailer (like Mothers Showtime) before you go on a trip, and bug rinse off. Takes literally 1min to do the front.
36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #18
Where can I find the Mother's showtime?
sharmanrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Another option for you ....
We don't have a MH, but the front of my truck and 5th can catch as many or more SPLATS here in da sowth

Since I never wash my cars (let others do that for me),
I know I won't wash the rv, so researched these places Home and for about $35 to $50 they will do the dirty work for me...
you might look into it as the truckers use them all the time and they are located usually close to the truck stops as a convenience... (they even offer a locator app)

that way you don't have the acidic splats doing damage to the coach.... good luck !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #20
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
interesting because i have never found wax to help one little bit plus 3M is a plastic cover over the paint.I have never ever seen a case of bugs on any paint under any conditions where simply spraying water on takes them off
The company that put 3M on our car advised us to wax the 3M on the car. Not only does it help with bug removal but it also provides UV protection.
John & Cathy Lamb
45' Marathon XLII
num1dgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
We live in Florida....twice a year, the "Love Bugs" make there appearance....( this is due to the abundant amount of orange groves throughout the state, and they love the orange blossom) they are a very nasty bug because of the high consentration of acid they secrete. If you do not clean them off right away, the acid starts to leave burn marks on the paint....even on clearcoat. If you have a shield on front, clean them off with a dish soap and water....rinse till all the soap and acid is removed.
When I used to drive my show car to shows, I applied Suran wrap covering as much of the front that would not affect the flow of air to the engine....I would cover and tuck the ends/edges......now I apply and I use a small piece of scotch tape to help my application.....though sometimes the edges get a little wind tattered, but it works.
By the way.....race car drivers use the same idea across there windshield....when they come in on pit stop, the peel off a sheet of covering.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Use Rejex and you will find the bugs come off a lot easier. They also make a cleaner to use before applying so the Rejex will last longer.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Another vote for Rejex! It works great and is so easy to apply! Watch out for those Love Bugs, they're really bad news!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #23
I have seen MH's and even cars where love bug stains have eaten thru the paint. In Florida the sun bakes the bugs which makes things worse. I cleaned the bugs off daily from the car and usually right away when I got back. Yes it is a royal pain. If the bugs have been on there awhile ...a week or more the finish may be doomed. Dryer sheets work to get the bug guts off the paint if used in time.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
My former car, a Mustang of course, was painted metallic dark blue. I was always washing and waxing it while I was trying to sell it. I kept waxing the plastic front bumper, but for some reason little chunks of dried white wax just refused to buff off. Upon VERY close inspection I saw that every wax spot was filling a tiny crater in the clear-coat. About one crater every inch or two. They all had smooth edges, not sharp or well defined like you'd see from a stone chip. The years of baked-on bug guts had dissolved the bumper's clear coat. Tennesse Bugs. I hate Tennesse bugs.
That taught me a lesson. I now keep my cars and RV paint bug-free, and I am gonna try a few of these suggestions. Nothing creates a bigger bug splatter than the front of a giant square box zooming down an interstate highway.
thank you
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now if we could just come up with a glue made of bug guts we could put JB out of the Weld business.

As for wax and other "protection" of clear coat and "shields" if it don't hurt and might help what's 10 minutes or so to apply some caution.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #26
Dryer sheets work better than anything I've tried.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #27
Bugs on Diamond Shield

We have a Dutch Star with Diamond Shield and bugs are a problem. As was suggested above, frequent cleaning is the best tactic, but no magic solution for the shield, except removal. Then clean and wax frequently.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #28
Originally Posted by sharmanrn View Post
Where can I find the Mother's showtime?
Wal-mart, or most other places that sell car wax. Meguiars quick detailer works the same as well. Plus it gives paint (in decent condition) that "just waxed" look.

I use this on my cars just before a long trip.

if you want to go the wax route, Armour All Extreme shield works good. It's easy to apply, just wipe it on, and wipe it right off....no drying needed

36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote