Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #15

6" in 45' is .133 inches fall per foot, or about an 1/8" per foot. If your BayStar is 40 ft the total fall, bumper to bumper, would be about 5.3". Your jacks, if 30' apart, would need to lift one end about 4", they should over come this easily. Cutting the slope across the pad would better if the site would allow it. Would result in about 1" fall side to side on the RV. My guess is this is not an option on your site.

Where I live, a typical garage floor has 2" fall in 24'. Most people standing on a garage floor would think it is "flat".

How you prepare your pad is highly dependent on the spot you plan to use. Just like real estate, the 3 most important things are location, location, and location. Some of the things I considered when installing pads in my previous life were:

1. Water run off from surrounding areas.
2. Soil type/condition (native bearing)
3. Cutting is preferable to filling when possible. (as jacwjames said)
4. Retaining walls are expensive (depending on local code enforcement)

If you trust your contractor, go with what he recommends. If you want, post a picture of the proposed site. I would be glad to help confuse the issue farther.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From experience, make the pad larger than the coach. I had ours built for a 31' coach 4 years later we upgraded to a 41' DP, while the wheels still land on it most of the DP overhang out the front.

jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Pictures of the finished pad please.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #18

Pad Complete

The pad was finished up yesterday and I think the guy did a great job. Yes, you guys are right it could be bigger but for now it will do, it gets the coach out of the front of my house! It turned out he needed about 72 yards of fill, (6 truck loads) which didn't include 2-3 yards of kind of a clay binder(?) on the slopes he put down before he put another 2-3 yards of loam before the seeding and hay. He said he figured it wrong by about 12 yards of fill which he ate the difference. Where the pad ended in the back it was acceptable but I continually go in and out of my land in that area so I had him bring in one more load of fill so I can easily drive off the back of the pad with my tractor. We finally have rain coming (if you can believe the weatherman!) on Sunday so it will get a nice soaking. I hope the grass will establish because Maine has had one of the worst drought in several years and I hate to keep using my well. We will need a good snow cover this winter to make up for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	139079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	139080  

Name:	IMG_2884.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	139081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2895.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	139082  

Name:	IMG_2896.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	139083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2897.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	528.1 KB
ID:	139084  

Name:	IMG_2899.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	566.2 KB
ID:	139085  
Old 09-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #19

Now I understand why so much fill, that's a large drop he had to level out.

Are you looking to add some sort of a basic shelter? Maybe just a basic roof?
Old 09-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm thinking about doing this. Roughly how much did this cost?
Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 AM   #21

Looks good!

If you feel the need to spend more money, Timon's suggestion of a roof would be a good idea I think. Keeps UV, tree debris, etc, off coach.

We are on our third RV. First 2 were stored outside. Promised myself not to buy the third one unless I had covered storage for it. Installed 24' x 35' metal; 3 sided, building on permanent foundation with 30 amp service and some lighting. Gravel floor. The carport company erected the metal building, I did everything else (a lot of work). Cost was about $10,000 including permits.

With your site conditions a pole barn, open sided with tin roof, might be a good option. Depends a lot on your local building code requirements.

The most important thing.... enjoy using your RV!
Old 09-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #22

that spot is perfect for crowned top and wouldnt even need a back to front slope.. although it doesnt hurt..
Old 09-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Looks good!

If you feel the need to spend more money, Timon's suggestion of a roof would be a good idea I think. Keeps UV, tree debris, etc, off coach.
In fact a pole barn, roof only, that used natural logs for the poles and a shake roof would really look great. Don't look like there would be a UV issue with the tree coverage but keeping tree debris and falling snow off would be good. It an area like that the natural look would be really nice.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Did not notice a packer in any of the pictures. It also appears they just spread the fill on the existing surface without any preparation to tie the two materials together.

I am concerned with the drivers side edge sloughing under wet conditions or in the spring when the frost comes out of the ground.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Did not notice a packer in any of the pictures. It also appears they just spread the fill on the existing surface without any preparation to tie the two materials together.

I am concerned with the drivers side edge sloughing under wet conditions or in the spring when the frost comes out of the ground.
Time will tell. Good thing , it is all fill and gravel, so easy to repair if it erodes or settles.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Time will tell. Good thing , it is all fill and gravel, so easy to repair if it erodes or settles.
Just finished reading a thread where the fellow had a coach sink on his pad. Caused all kinds of damage and then the tow (it was winched out) may have caused more problems.

Just as a precaution I suggest you place the drive axle on a sheet of plywood. Overkill I agree.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #27

Pad

Let me see if I can answer some of the questions. Yes they did pack between each load as well as the weight of the excavator and the 10 wheel dump trucks back and forth. I've added a pic of the packer. I'm not sure what Gordon is asking but they used a clay type mixture on the slopes before loaming, seeding, and placing hay down. He also dug down some into the existing dirt area before filling with the loads of gravel mixture.

A shelter is something I want but not in the budget this year. I spotted one similar to the way Timon and Triplewide mentioned last week and some day will knock on their door to find out who did it. It looked from the road like 6 equally spaced telephone poles with a metal roof on it, no sides, but it is similar to what I would like to have. We are finally having some rain so I moved the bus off the pad so it can get some moisture on the slopes/grass seed and maybe a little more compaction.

As far as cost. I had estimates of $1500/$2200/$3000/$4000 and $4900 to put in basically the same pad. Obviously some of these guys over engineered but also probably had a healthy profit. The guy we chose has his own pits, does small jobs, and I've seen his trucks in the area for the past 20+ years we have lived here. I don't think he tried to cut any corners and my wife is happy because it is better looking to her than she imagined.

The $4900 estimate was from the largest outfit and they have their own pits only a few miles away, also have a concrete business, and I told the guy this was phase 1 and I might put a concrete pad on it. The estimate scared us and we almost quit the idea of a pad. He also estimated over double the fill required, about 150 yards and a smaller pad 14 x 40.

The $4000 dollar bid the guy apologized up and down for the cost but said he had figured it for what he though was needed and that was the best he could do. The $3000 bid was from my builder who is normally a little pricey but does good work. We almost went with the $2200 bid originally. He was responsive and came right out for an estimate but we went with for $1500. Total cost went to $1650 when I didn't like the way the back was going to end, too much of a drop I felt. I wanted more gradual transition off the back for access to my land. I took down one oak that was quite stocky, probably 10" or so in diameter but only about 30'+ tall. The contractor pulled that stump out before he started. I also did a bunch of trimming of high branches in anticipation of the trucks or coach hitting them.

Before starting this I called a local place that stores boats, campers, etc. and their charge was going to be $1200 for seasonal storage. So whenever I brought it there until next spring when I pulled it out it was $1200. It would have been under cover but for the original bid of $1500 there was no way I was going to spend the $1200 for storage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2879.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	139269  
Old 09-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks - see the plate tamper now. Went back to previous posts and saw it in some of those photographs as well.

Tags
class a