Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #1

Building a front upper bunk in Class A (like class C) HELP

I have 4 kids and we need more room.
There is plenty of room thanks to the vertical windshield to build a front upper bunk.
It is a 1988 Itasca sunchaser (john deer chassis).
Can anyone offer advice, links or photos on building a sliding bed just like a class C safely in my class A ?
We sure would appreciate it.
I do not know if the structure is metal or wood inside. Would be nice to have measurements or a good idea of where structural supports are located.

** I also have to install seatbelts where the couch is (behind drivers seat). Any cool ideas on doing so? I need to install seatbelts on the seat behind the passenger seat as well. Was thinking of a locking swivel seat with a shoulder belt there.

Thanks and Peace,
Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Jeff, welcome to the forum.

When we were looking for our class A, we looked at some older and shorter (in the 26' - 30') Safari's and some of those had a forward bed that 'scissored' from the upper side walls just aft of the driver's/co-pilot's seats. The bed stored in the ceiling area. They seemed a little on the 'shaky' side and would probably be bothersome while sleeping with another because of the movement...never tried to get into one either. Might look at some of those models to get some ideas as to how a bed might be mounted in that location. Some of the 'toy box' 5'ers have similar mounted beds that 'retract' to the ceiling...maybe get some ideas from those models as well. Good luck with the refit. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in the 80's Tiffin installed the pull down beds over the drivers seat. They worked pretty well. Most of my customers liked them. I think they will be able to help you. This would be the simplest and easiest fix. Their # is 256-356-8661
Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My buddy the woodworker just built one for my 97 Winne Vectra and it works great. Essentially he made two tables that fit in the nose and abut the driver and passenger seats. The tables are bolted together once they are in place. The front legs are short and back legs long. A t shaped brace supports the rear of the bed and is placed at the back of doghouse. Assembly and disassembly require no more than five minutes. Structure is made of wood.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Andy,
I would love to see some pictures of that set-up.

Thanks, Larry
Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #6

I would also be interested in seeing any pics.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Our 96 had a pull down bunk in the front. The mechanism was made by Quikee, same company that makes electric steps. If you can get the mechanism, building the bunk frame would be pretty straightforward.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #8

Kwikee

I did find a "Kwikee" at kwikee.com that makes the steps. They did have this bed hardware, http://www.kwikee.com/PDFDocuments/BedManual.pdf
but I don't see how that would be the right app for what I am trying to do. I am trying to accomplish pretty much what hotrod325 is trying to do and utilize the room above the driver/passenger seat.
Fleetwood has a fancy solution in the 2011 storm that appears to use a variation of happijack that they dub "Hide-A-Loft". They have a video of it in operation at www.fleetwoodrv.com/storm
I am looking for some thing a little more simple.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #9

According to the brochure, Winnebago had a Drop Down Bed option for your model. Not sure how it was implemented but those are typically in the cockpit overhead area. Early 70's Winnebago used a front hinged drop down bed. Late 70's (like my 78) they went to a scissor style arrangement. The Kwikee model in your link would be simular but rotate down rather than scissor down. Both of those use a very strong garage door like spring that you have to be very careful with when servicing.
You can see my right side mechanism in the photo below wit the drop down bed lowered.

Dave