Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Built In Navigation System

If you we're too order a New coach and plan on keeping it for 10 years would you get the factory supplied and installed Navigation system, or would you prefer your own aftermarket system.

Just wondering how long it would take before it would be obselete. Also for the Price I could upgrade to a new Garmin about 4 times in 10 years.

We do know have a Garmin but I really don;t use it all that much, except for on vacations.

Thanks Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
You answered your own question. Go for a stand alone system. Much easier to get map updates for it.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #3

Stand alone will enable you to move it from the coach, toad, rental car.
I can't imagine having a GPS that is older then 5+ years old. Technology gets better every day.

Good luck with your decision.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Stand alone - technology changes, maps change & the stand alone units new maps are MUCH cheaper than most built-ins.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #5

We have a smart phone. It has google maps/GPS. Updated all the time.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Stand alone, as the built in units have traditionally been difficult if not impossible to update not to mention expensive.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'm of the opposite view of the previous posts. I have and will continue to have the built in GPS combo units. The main reason is screen size. My GPS has a 7" display and a remarkably crisp and clear view of the map. I need a large screen. The next reason is the unit displays what lane I should be in in addition to quite a bit of information about the day's drive. Also, I like the multi features that are consolidated into a single unit. I worry not about taking it from vehicle to vehicle. My two primary vehicles have the manufacturers installed GPS. My future vehicles will also have the manufacturer's installed GPS. Like in the coach, the GMC ENVOY also has a very large screen and displays the information I personally want and need. I do not worry about updates. If one purchases a manufacturer installed unit, or a top of the line after market unit that is permanently installed, updates have been available until I change vehicles or purchase another large screen GPS unit that will install in the dash.

Consider what your requirements are (my assumption is the unit's voice instructions are understandable):
1. screen size
2. what is displayed during travel and how easy is it to understand when driving
3. what are the different ways to find your destination (name, address, latitude/longitude, category (like different kinds of restaurants))
4. will viewing, a portable unit, be impeded buy different lighting conditions
5. is there a really good place to put an after market dash mounted unit
6. do you want to add remembering to move the unit to the vehicle you'll be using to your list of things to remember to do.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a 7 inch portable magellan. I set it on the console atop the engine cover. This makes it much closer to me, and easier to see. I like the fact that my wife can unsnap it and change settings easily while underway. Many of the builtins cannot be changed, unless you stop. If i do have a a problem with it, I an mail it in and not have to take in the motorhome. Also the updates are much cheaper. I only paid 150.00 for it at costco.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
DW runs Delorme on the 17" laptop...works for us.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
My Acura has factory nav. Sandy's Toyota has factory nav. The truck (see signature) has factory nav. My motorcycle is still using a Garmin 2610. The integrated factory systems have their benefits, but keeping them updated gets to be a hassle as well as expensive (so I generally don't - at least, not annually), and trying to remember the operational differences of the different systems as I move from vehicle to vehicle is frustrating when I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #11

I have a built-in in my current coach. My previous coach didn't. I used a laptop with Delorme Street Atlas. I prefer the stand alone.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #12

Hi All, I have a GPS in my Grand Cherokee a Factory unit. Worked really well for 6 months when I started noticing problems with direction accuracy. My Cherokee is a 2008 I bought new in July of 2008 the unit was outdated when at the time I bought , when I complained to the Dealer they must have done an upgrade because it guided me well for another 6 months, after that it was useless in some areas, particularly in Metro areas near me.
The upgrade is $300+, I even received the upgrade disc from Jeep, you install it and then pay the money to activate it. No Way!
I am about to purchase another Jeep, this is one option I will not buy. As was said Top of the line units can be bought for much less every year or so some with lifetime upgrades. Another advantage is reduction of theft not really a problem with Motor Homes.
Robert
Old 03-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Stand alone. Built ins are extremely expensive to purchase and update. With the stand alone, you can use it in the MH until you get to the CG, then pull it out and use it in the tow car.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Standalone for me. One for the Toad and one for the RV. I have a Built-In in our Honda Odyssey but, when we travel, I use a new Garmin with the traffice radio built in. I like the standalones because they are accurate, low cost, lower cost to update, and easily replaced. The drawback is you have a 12v cord running over your dashboard to an outlet.