Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bulk DEF fill from pump

In my first attempt to fill my DEF tank from the pump at the truck stop I could not get the nozzle to go all the way into the filler port on the DEF tank due to the proximity of the top edge of the hatch. The DEF would not flow with the nozzle only partially in. The truck stop people claim there is a magnet in the nozzle that prevents flow unless it is inserted all the way. Looking at the nozzle it is hard to believe.

Anyone who can verify or deny this? It happened at a new Hess station near me. I sure would like to be able to get it from the pump as the bulk price is $2.79/gal, about half of the buy it in the bottle price.

Jerry
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
TGR

You may end up buying a container to fill your tank, and refill it at the bulk pump. An extra step, but something to consider.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

Year, make and model of your rig, Jerry? If what your fuel stop folks were saying is true, how can you possibly fill a (probably plastic) container from a DEF pump?

Anyone else having these type problems? We're due to pick up a 2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus in a few weeks and are going to take it to Alaska next summer. I was planning on taking DEF with me up there as it appears that the only places it's available are Fairbanks and Anchorage and then only pre-packaged, not in bulk. We don't usually spend too much time in those towns and don't want to have to detour to a downtown store just to get a few gallons of DEF.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR
You may end up buying a container to fill your tank, and refill it at the bulk pump. An extra step, but something to consider.
Thanks but that will not work if this story about the magnet feature in the nozzle is true.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
I purchased a 5 gallon yellow diesel container and an electric pump to transfer DEF into my DEF tank.

No problem filling the plastic container from the bulk DEF pump at Pilot Travel Centers.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote