Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Bully Dog type monitors

I'm a brand new MH owner, 2004 Suncruiser 38R, and am a tiny bit disappointed with the dash setup,ie lack of gauges. Mainly because I am a control freak and like to know what is going on with all systems at all times. ( Former US Army Aviator used to looking at helicopter system monitors)
My question is; who has experience with the Bully Dog GT or similar add on systems that monitor the onboard computer through the OBD II?
The Bully Dog seems to offer the kind of feedback I am seeking, such as temps, pressures and gas mileage.
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know about the Bully dog but have the Scan Gauge and like it.

LEN
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Silverleaf VMSPC system, provides great information and you can customize your screen anyway you want.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

X2 for VMSpc - it gives the control freak anything and everything he may want, configured on a PC of your choosing. Or get one of the non-PC models if you prefer.

VMS Gallery | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #5

I'm not seeing any pricing on the Silverleaf website. What does the VMSpc go for?
Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #6

I may be wrong, but I believe your motorhome is a gas powered unit. The VMSpc systems are for electronically controlled diesel engines, and will not work on OBDII gas systems.

Fred
Old 11-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscot View Post
I'm not seeing any pricing on the Silverleaf website. What does the VMSpc go for?
The VMSpec software is free so download a copy and play with the settings. To interface to your coach diagnostic port you will have to buy an interface box, there are several types available all around $300
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #8

Answer my own question?

I looked at the Silverleaf systems, I sort of liked the model that replaces the backup camera monitor in the dash, but wasn't sure I wanted to figure how to prop a laptop up on my dash. Although, I was impressed with the information available.
I looked at the Scangauge, but wasn't impressed with the display, then found a website for Ultragauge. It looks more like what I envisioned, so think I will give it a try.
The Bully Dog is 6 times the price of the Ultragauge, and I wasn't sure I wished to give the Bully Dog the ability to actually control the engine chip.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I believe your motorhome is a gas powered unit. The VMSpc systems are for electronically controlled diesel engines, and will not work on OBDII gas systems.
Good point, Fred. The VMS products only support the data bus used on diesel engines, so none of them work with OBD II gas engines.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscot View Post
I looked at the Silverleaf systems, I sort of liked the model that replaces the backup camera monitor in the dash, but wasn't sure I wanted to figure how to prop a laptop up on my dash. Although, I was impressed with the information available.

I looked at the Scangauge, but wasn't impressed with the display, then found a website for Ultragauge. It looks more like what I envisioned, so think I will give it a try.

The Bully Dog is 6 times the price of the Ultragauge, and I wasn't sure I wished to give the Bully Dog the ability to actually control the engine chip.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I have the Scangauge for diesel I got from Brazels RV and it is not a huge display but it does display any four information gauges you want out of several and displays it in digital accuracy. They can be easily changed and tells me all I need and want to know. No it's not a giant screen but it works all the same.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins