Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Bump in the road!

Today I was talking to a tech working for a RV mobile service and asked why all the batteries in the back of his truck? According to him, a DP motor coach was doing 65 MPH on the hwy and hit a major pot hole. Suddenly the battery compartment door popped open, the battery tray slid out and spilled all the batteries onto the highway! Must of been a BIG POT HOLE AYE? WOW I thought- now I'm glad I don't have a sliding battery tray.

Comments?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #2

They are mounted where the body builder wants them and, yes, it's most always in the rear. I'm not sure I buy RV Techs story. Newmar still runs a sliding battery tray for the house batteries and they are located in the front compartment behind the drivers side front tire. Also, and the biggest reason I'M, it allows the chassis manufacturers to runs smaller gauge cables than if the batteries were up front. There are battery cables ran to the front, but they are smaller than the ones to the engine. Front engine gas units have their chassis battery up front close to the engine for the most part.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 2017 Freightliner chassis, my coach batteries are behind DS tire on sliding tray. Engine batteries are on PS behind back tires, bolted in.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
They also place the batteries in the rear to keep the weight off the front axle especially beneficial for tag axle models.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My battery compartment has a lock on the door and the tray has a lock that you have to depress to pull the tray out. The battery tray is actually a drawer with a four inch high side so you'd have to bounce the 70 lb battery over that. Even then, I'm not sure the cables are long enough for the batteries to get over that lip with the drawer extended.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
After re-building my battery tray and increasing to 8 6V batteries, I was concerned about this with nearly 500 lbs of batteries. The tray has a latch, but there's really only about 1/4" of the latch that holds it closed. Upon recommendations from fellow RV'ers on this site, there was a simple solution. I drilled a hole through the tray and the frame holding the tray. A normal pin for a receiver hitch fits through the hole and secures the tray. Done
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
Today I was talking to a tech working for a RV mobile service and asked why all the batteries in the back of his truck? According to him, a DP motor coach was doing 65 MPH on the hwy and hit a major pot hole. Suddenly the battery compartment door popped open, the battery tray slid out and spilled all the batteries onto the highway! Must of been a BIG POT HOLE AYE? WOW I thought- now I'm glad I don't have a sliding battery tray.

Comments?
I don't buy it. The drawer/tray would have to slide open, then the batteries (don't know how many we're talking here, but...) would have to be bounced up AND over the lip, and all of the cables would have to come disconnected...not to mention that IF all that actually happened at 65mph, the batteries would likely be destroyed. Neat story, though.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My four 8D batteries are on two slide out trays with two locks on each tray behind a locked bay door and metal tie downs. The 4 925 CCA batteries are the same way in another bay. I'm not sure rolling the rig would dislodge the batteries!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I like where Winnebago puts their house batteries on their diesel pushers. They're mounted between the lower frame rails dead center of the coach. They're AGM so maintenance free. Your remove a floor panel to access them. I like that they help lower the center of gravity, and balance the weigh between the front and rear axles, and are protected by the lower main frame rails.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #10

When i designed our Search and Rescue truck it has 3 of the large 8D batteries. They are on a slide out tray to ease maintenance. There is a large lock pin that has to be removed before the tray can slide. I would think that most manufactures of RV's with sliding battery trays would also have a lock of some type to keep the tray in place.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #11

Newmar's older units had a chassis battery tray that didn't have any additional locking pin. They've went away from that design (due to the stacked exhaust....that's going away). I doubt they will go back to another tray. The house battery tray does have a additional pin
Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post

Comments?
Must of been driving in California!! Regards
Old 03-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #13

My Dutch Star has locking bay door plus the slide out tray has a latch to release it. I would have to have something major happen to dislodge them.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a picture showing the hitch pin I added on the right side. No worries of it sliding out now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0795.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	154351  

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote