Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bunk bed Conversion

A friend of ours wants to get into RV'ing and needs bunk beds for their two young boys. Problem #1 is that they cannot really afford a used unit with bunk beds built in. 2nd semi problem is that they prefer not to use the couch and dinette because they prefer to leave the beds in a made up scenario versus undoing the dinette when they want to eat. Does anyone know of conversions that can be done to facilitate having a set of bunks permanently in place ? Obviously something has to go. Either the dinette or the sofa I'm guessing would need to be eliminated.

If you are aware of any plans, photos or any other information concerning any type of conversion please let me know. We really want to help these people get into camping.

As an addendum they do not want to convert the bedroom into two sets of bunks, even though that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Problem #1 seems to be pretty large. How are they going to afford a new unit with bunk beds? Many older, used, RVs with or without bunks are available for purchase, many less than the cost of a new compact car. The issue then becomes operating expenses, storage, and maintenance.

Perhaps they need to sit down and honestly calculate to costs of owning and using an RV. Perhaps a trailer or other smaller unit might serve to see if they really want to go hole hog into a Class A and modifying it in a way that might reduce resale value.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It might help to know what type of budget they are working with, and gas or diesel.

There are a few floorplans out there (older Bounder diesels come immediately to mind) with double-width wardrobes in the hallway that are large enough to convert to bunks. Some models with bunk beds actually have a clothes rod already installed (Newmar and ???) and may have an upper bunk that folds out of the way when not in use. Some floorplans have bunks as a build option that may be easy to retrofit.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Obviously my explaination wasn't clear. They are not looking for new. They want used but used with bunk beds built in already go for more than they can afford. What they can or cannot afford is not the issue. They are looking for ideas on how to convert a space into bunk beds. Preferably without removing the sofa or dinette. I have seen a sofa that converts to a bunk bed. Again ..... what they are looking for is ideas for converting space into bunks.

Sorry for any confusion. It's what I'm good at. If anyone has done a project such as this, photos would be great.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Bunk bed Conversion

Bunk bed
You did not say how large the kids are but this guy did this and I am thinking about doing the same
Old 03-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have they looked at Class C units with the bunk over the cab?

I've scoured the Internet for months looking at Class A floorplans with bunks to see how the OEMs do it. I've also looked extensively at RV Trader and RVT for bunk bed design ideas. We like the design of the newer Fleetwood Excursion 35E, and are in the planning stage of modifying our MH floorplan to use some of Fleetwood's ideas.

Have your friends done any shopping, even for creative ideas? What size coach are they looking for? Slides? There are dozens of ways to do it, but it all depends on finding a floorplan they can live with that can be modified to suit their needs. There are some (mostly side-entry) Class As with bunks that drop down from the ceiling over the front seats. They go way back into the 1970s, and can be had for well under $10k, with many less than $5k. The older ones are likely to be big projects though, and not for someone who isn't really dedicated and creative.

One of the simplest and least expensive ways to create bunks for kids is to build a platform above the existing sofa. I'd be surprised if a decent woodworker couldn't do this for under $200. If you put the upper platform on a hinge, it can fold up out of the way to allow normal use of the sofa for adults.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To this point they have looked at both A & C class. Again at this point the cost to purchase one that has OEM bunks is out of their range and, again, price is not the issue that I am looking for help with. Back to your points. The class C bed over the cab may be referred to as a bunk but it isn't in the traditional sense. They have two 5 year old boys so they would like separate beds for them. my point in this thread was to seek out anyone who may have done some type of conversion to add bunk beds. Be able to provide photographs of the same or point me to a link somewhere that shows what we are seeking.

As for wants .... either a C or an A would work. Length would be 30 - 35 and yes slides would be preferable. We have heard about using a closet in the bedroom which, I would guess, would have to be a slide. We have that in our MH but I've never measured it to determine if the depth would be enough. And you may be asking well why doesn't he check ? Well I am in VT and it is still covered for the winter and it isn't about my MH it is about possible ideas and how to photos.