Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #1

Bunk bed rv questions

I am looking for a class A with bunk beds.

Looked at Winnebago gas, forest river georgetown xl, and thor palazzo .

I am concerned about thor quality. I am also concerned about georgetown slide mechanism after running the main slide in and out ( moved very jerky vs smoother) . Winnebago vista looks ok but not sure about one and a half baths!

Budget it a little flexible but unit needs to be 35 feet or less vs 38 or40

Gas vs diesel is a cost consideration , thus not looking at tiffin red. Palazzo is the max cost.

Any comments on thor vs Winnebago vs forest river vs fleetwood. I like newmar but they do not have a short bunk.

Overall I am looking at one step above entry level (I think).

Thanks for any ideas!

FYI, this unit is for my daughter and her husband and 2 kids. I already have a nice 43foot dp. Daughter is currently in jayco expandable trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar does not make these anymore but owners would buy another if they were available they love them.
They have been hard to find used on the market but have started to show up the pass year.
They have two configurations of bunks stacked or as twin beds in loft kids would love them with own TV's.
2008 would have Comfort Drive for Dad.

ALLSTAR

GOOGLE

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny you should ask. Last year everything was bunk beds. This year at the Tampa show we hardly saw any. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood bounder classic 34b
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Another one Newmar used to make (we own one and love it!).
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

tvolk, Can you adopt me? I need a new rig and bunks would be a real plus.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #7

Ha!

While I have helped 'fund' some stuff in the past for my daughter--any new RV is on her!!

Anyway-

Full disclosure:
Part of my motivation for helping search for the best bunk bed deal is so I do not have to tow her trailer behind my RV when we take trips! While I do not mind towing her trailer and it takes very little fuel --I would prefer to not be driving a 67' long rig in and out of campgrounds. She can tow her trailer with her own vehicle but it is at the 'limit'. When I tow her trailer--she sometimes drives her car and then is on the 'arrive and camp' program. Overall , not a bad deal!! We have done tent, pop up, small RV , etc camping as a family for years and I am so pleased to have this family activity as something we will be dong well into the future.

so far--looks to me that a Georgetown XL 350 has the best combination of floor plan, chassis, holding tank capacities, and quality. My concern remains the slide mechanism. Any Forest River owners with any issues with their slides?

Thanks for any input!

PS--I am still looking for a 'Federal Family RV Relief Fund ' to help cover some of these costs. Anybody know of such a program?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk View Post
I am looking for a class A with bunk beds.

Looked at Winnebago gas, forest river georgetown xl, and thor palazzo .

I am concerned about thor quality. I am also concerned about georgetown slide mechanism after running the main slide in and out ( moved very jerky vs smoother) . Winnebago vista looks ok but not sure about one and a half baths!

Budget it a little flexible but unit needs to be 35 feet or less vs 38 or40

Gas vs diesel is a cost consideration , thus not looking at tiffin red. Palazzo is the max cost.

Any comments on thor vs Winnebago vs forest river vs fleetwood. I like newmar but they do not have a short bunk.

Overall I am looking at one step above entry level (I think).

Thanks for any ideas!

FYI, this unit is for my daughter and her husband and 2 kids. I already have a nice 43foot dp. Daughter is currently in jayco expandable trailer.
You might want to look at the Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS. It's a popular priced DP which would solve your towing issues. Drives far better than any previous C or A we owned.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We did a lot of research and ended up with a Winnebago 35J. While this model has been replaced with the Vista line a consideration would be a used 35J. Concerning the bunks the DVD players along with the large storage drawer under the bunks are a couple of items that placed the 35J at the top of the list. Is she only looking at brand new units?

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #10

New vs used

Daughter is looking at new as well as gently

She really wants a 35 foot or less vs 40 foot, so that size plus bunks are kind of limiting the choices!!

Suggestion so far from here are very useful
Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wife and i shopped all over for bunk models last year. We ended up with a bounder classic 34b. Really liked the georgetown xl350ts but could not find one. We have king size bed, 80 gallon fresh water although grey and black are 40 and 30. Our 2012 has 19.5 inch wheels. I couldn't tell a big difference in ride and i think the 19.5 will be cheaper to replace than the 22.5. I haven't measured wheelbase but i think we have 208....i've seen it quoted as 228 chassis.

We've been happy with it so far. Build quality is nice although i can tell where they went cheap. has comfortable couch and chairrs, generator auto transfer switch (which even my parents coachmen encounter doesnt have). Price was considerably lower than georgetown but we found two dealers 20 minutes apart that had 3 on their lots. Good luck!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Encounter/Storm 32BH has bunks and is 31' long.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked out the Tiffin Allegro Open Road 35 QBA? It has bunk beds and it is on the Ford gas chassis.

2013 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro - On Lot

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #14

Thanks

Tiffin is a possibility . I just traded my phaeton so am aware of good tiffin products.

She is looking for , probably, 2 or 3 slides rather than 4 so that travel is easier and there is more room when slides are in. Traveling with 2adults and 2kids works better with a little more interior room when unit is closed up than 4slide units typically offer.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas.

The info will be a great reference as the search moves forward.